Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Dobber
 Ramblings: Quick Injury Goes From Bad to Worse Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2016 :  13:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good gravy the Jonathan Quick injury news keeps getting worse and worse.

A trade must be coming soon but I cannot envision the team that’s positioned to trade them a goalie. A few weeks ago, I wonder if the Lightning would have shipped out Ben Bishop to clear enough cap space to sign Nikita Kucherov to a long term deal, instead of a bridge deal. That’s moot now. It’s tough to see the Lightning making a move now that their roster is set. The Quick situation is an example of why having two capable starters is good insurance.

So who has the kind of goaltending depth to make a deal?

Winnipeg? Would the Kings have any interest in Michael Hutchinson or Ondrej Pavelec? I imagine Pavelec would go for cheap.

The Ducks surely wouldn’t send Jonathan Bernier to a division rival would they? Also, they gave up a pick in order to acquire Bernier so why would they move him so quickly?

Perhaps the Senators are interested in moving Andrew Hammond with Matt O’Connor waiting in the wings.

It just seems too early in the season for a team to write things off and move a goaltender. Mike Condon likely comes available once Matt Murray gets back for the Penguins but that’s still a few weeks away.

I could see Ryan Miller coming available once the Canucks appear out of it this season but that could take until Christmas.

Before we write off the Kings entirely, remember that the Wild a few years ago hung around just long enough that once they acquired Devan Dubnyk they were ready to pop and make a run at a playoff spot. Perhaps the Kings have enough to cobble together such a second half once Quick returns, or after acquiring a new starter. The Wild got by with the unimpressive tandem of Darcy Kuemper and Niklas Backstrom before Dubnyk came available.

However, watching Jeff Zatkoff get roasted by the Flyers I am not certain that any goalie they acquire becomes a must-own commodity.

Written by Steve Laidlaw of www.dobberhockey.com

Have an opinion on this article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep your head up. And don't forget to visit our Dobber Hockey friends at www.dobberhockey.com/
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com
PickupHockey.com and the owners of PickupHockey.com do not necessarily endorse the opinions expressed on its website of the volunteer writers. The opinions expressed here in this and other posts are solely the opinions of the writers.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page