Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Stanley Cup Winner 2016/17 Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  16:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Now that the dust of the trade deadline has settled, who has the best shot at a Cup victory?

Choices:

Minnesota Wild
Columbus Blue Jackets
San Jose Sharks
Washington Capitals
Chicago Blackhawks
Montreal Canadiens
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Rangers
Other (who?)

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  12:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hard not to think the Caps have the best chance given the run-away record they have. But that's obviously not a guarantee since they won the Presidents Trophy last year and got punted in the second round by the Pens who went on to win the Cup. Likewise WSH won the PT in 2009/10 and were dumped in the quarterfinal's too. But, 8 teams in the history of the Presidents Trophy have won it and gone on to win the Stanley - another 3 have gone on to lose in the finals (the PT started in 1985/86) So 8 out of 31 isn't too bad - slightly better than 25% odds. I'd take that.

Taking a different perspective you could look at the last 8 seasons and the Cup has been won by only 4 teams; Pittsburgh has 2 and is the defending champs, Chicago has 3, Los Angeles has 2, and Boston has 1. LA's hopes are being dashed pretty quickly so they are probably out. Boston is in a dog fight out east to hang on - even if they make it, it's a pretty long battle to the top, although, LA finished 8th in 2011/12 and won the cup so it's possible. So that leaves Pittsburgh and Chicago from that list. Both are killing it in the regular season; Pittsburgh is 3rd in the East and Chicago is 2nd in the West.

So, using only these two lenses, my list of for the 2016/17 possible champs gets narrowed down to:

- Washington Capitals
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Pittsburgh Penguins

Out of that group, Chicago always seems to have another gear left for the playoffs, they just know how to win big games at the right time. So using this admittedly limited logic, the Chicago Blackhawks are my money pick.

Side note, I'm really interested in seeing how Minnesota and Columbus do this year. Both are stellar teams and are obviously the real deal, but have limited playoff experience (CBJ has much less experience than MIN) This can't be bad for hockey from a long-term perspective.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2017 :  19:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with this logic, but Chicago have struggled with special teams this year and are more fragile than in the past. I am similarly not sold on Pittsburgh this year with there defensive issues, but they have won with them in the past. Washington looks like a lock but that's a story I remember reading before. Part of me thinks the cup will be won by a team other than the 3 odds on favorites, but I don't know who to pick, because they are all good teams. So in the absence of a good enough reason for them not to win, I would still put my money on Washington, but I would hedge my bets.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  08:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough to call and its getting tougher every year , which is good for the league. Theres prob 6 -8 teams who have a chance to go to the stanley cup playoffs this year , it will depend on whose goalie is hotter.
I think Ottawa is a dark horse team with their goal tending and of course they do have a good hockey team.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  08:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry i meant 6 - 8 teams who have a chance to go to the stanley cup FINAL...
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  15:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is actually fairly rare that the club with the best regular season record wins the Stanley Cup. Especially if it is the Caps who always choke in the playoffs.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Edited by - umteman on 03/04/2017 15:54:12
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  05:53:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all these arguments about Washington in the playoffs are true, but you have to figure at some point they're going to bust through. there's been a few teams in the recent past that have gone through the same pains as Ovie and crew. Sakic with Quebec/Colorado; Yzerman with Detroit; Alfredsson with Ottawa (though I do note that they did not win the Cup). perhaps this is finally the year the Caps finally go on that run?

you never know what spring time hockey can bring.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  09:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Chicago, but not with any confidence whatsoever.

Pittsburgh looks to have an amazing chance at a repeat in my eyes, and I see them as having a better chance to come out of the East, over the Caps. In the West, it really seems like a total crapshoot. No way do I put any stock in the Wild being to replicate their regular season into the playoffs, not happening. Where are the game breakers on that team? It's a great systems team, but they don't have the talent. San Jose is rolling now too, and it might be them vs the Hawks in that Western final.

Hawks by a nose over Pittsbugh ('cause repeating is near impossible) but I will give good odds to San Jose to be third on my list.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  13:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umteman

It is actually fairly rare that the club with the best regular season record wins the Stanley Cup. Especially if it is the Caps who always choke in the playoffs.

Not really, Umteman. In my previous post I mentioned that it was over 25% of the time since the President's trophy came into existence (8 out of 31) I didn't look up years prior to that though.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  13:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Gipper

all these arguments about Washington in the playoffs are true, but you have to figure at some point they're going to bust through. there's been a few teams in the recent past that have gone through the same pains as Ovie and crew. Sakic with Quebec/Colorado; Yzerman with Detroit; Alfredsson with Ottawa (though I do note that they did not win the Cup). perhaps this is finally the year the Caps finally go on that run? you never know what spring time hockey can bring.

San Jose would be in that same boat.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  15:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My order of probability is this:

1. Pittsburgh - Defending champs will get just enough goaltending to allow their team to outscore everyone.
2. Chicago - I'm picking them to clutch up and make the final, only to come up a little short on firepower.
3. Washington - If they can find their way by Pittsburgh, I'd prob have to have them at #1. It may just be their year finally. Prob the team I'd most like to see win at this point.
4. San Jose - My other final 4 pick and 2nd sentimental favorite to win it all, just slightly behind Washington.

Dark horse - Montreal. It will take Price playing lights out and doing his best Brodeur/Roy imitation, and probably a Conn Smythe, but I think he's capable and Montreal has just enough everywhere that if they get hot, they could surprise.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  14:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Tough to call and its getting tougher every year , which is good for the league. Theres prob 6 -8 teams who have a chance to go to the stanley cup playoffs this year , it will depend on whose goalie is hotter.
I think Ottawa is a dark horse team with their goal tending and of course they do have a good hockey team.

A Leafs Fan picking the Sens as a darkhorse! Its cold here, how cold is it in Hell? Must have frozen over based on this comment. Not that I dislike your train of thought.
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  14:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Washington over the Predators!

Barry Trotz triumphs over his old team and Filip Forsberg can't do the same...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  16:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the most shocking part of this poll is the Rangers getting NO LOVE! I mean, you have the BlueJackets getting votes and NYR none?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  19:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I think the most shocking part of this poll is the Rangers getting NO LOVE! I mean, you have the BlueJackets getting votes and NYR none?

Well to be fair we are comparing teams which are currently riding hot streaks and if Washington isn't a lock, I'd hate to think New York would be considered a favorite over them.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  12:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought last night's matchup between the Sharks and the Caps was maybe a little bit of foreshadowing. I didn't watch the game but the Sharks took it 4-2. Judging by the score sheet the Sharks big guns showed up to play, unlike the Caps:

Burns - 3 assists
Couture - 2 goals (game winner)
Thornton - 1 goal, 1 assist
Pavelski - 1 goal, 1 assist
Marleau - 1 assist
Martin - 1 assist
And even the new guy, Jannik Hansen, got on the score sheet with an assist.

That's what you want, your top guys showing up for the big games.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  12:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

0 votes is indeed a bit odd - just by simple numbers they should get some 'love', But the reality is that they are up against some serious competition from WSH, CBJ, and PIT who are the top 3 teams in the East. And let's be honest, they didn't do much at the deadline (or earlier in Feb) to improve their shot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page