Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Most Tantalising playoff matchups possible Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  15:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
As of today this is the playoff matchups which will likely change some towards the end of the season. Which of these would be your favorite. Add your other favorite to the comments

Choices:

Washington / New York Islanders
New York Rangers / Montreal
Edmonton / Anaheim
Chicago / Nashville
Ottawa / Boston
Pittsburgh / Columbus
Calgary / San Jose
St Louis / Minnesota
Possible - Montreal / Boston
Possible - Calgary / Edmonton
Possible - LA / Chicago
Possible - Rangers / Pittsburgh
Possible - Washington / Toronto
Other favorite - add why in the comments.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 03/09/2017 19:17:17

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  16:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Montreal / NYR. I'd love to see a defensive hard core first round with 2 great goalies! I was going to pick EDM/ANA only because you listed them twice.

I didn't vote for the "possibles" but truth is, the Edm/Cal one would be awesome to see. IN fact, any matchup with Edm is intriguing as I'm excited to see them back in the playoffs and can't wait to see what sort of level of success McDavid can have in his first dance!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  19:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I voted Montreal / NYR. I'd love to see a defensive hard core first round with 2 great goalies! I was going to pick EDM/ANA only because you listed them twice.

I didn't vote for the "possibles" but truth is, the Edm/Cal one would be awesome to see. IN fact, any matchup with Edm is intriguing as I'm excited to see them back in the playoffs and can't wait to see what sort of level of success McDavid can have in his first dance!

I was rushed and could see the obvious matchup missing. I will correct it once I got it figured
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2017 :  19:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks. Fixed. How did I miss Calgary / San Jose. Shades of the Western final from Calgary's previous cup run.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  17:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested in a CGY vs. EDM match up at some point. Hopefully not the first round as I'd like to see our Canadian chances remain high for longer.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  10:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

I'd be interested in a CGY vs. EDM match up at some point. Hopefully not the first round as I'd like to see our Canadian chances remain high for longer.

I agree. If at all possible I would like to see Montreal - Ottawa face in the 2nd round and Edmonton - Calgary face in the 2nd round, which is how it would play out with the current seeding, if all the teams involved won there opening round. Would make for an epic Canadian experience. If Toronto can battle there way back into the playoff position, it would add to the epic possiblities for Canadian fans, but would mean Toronto's opening round would be against Washington. The NHL head office will hate it though.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 03/17/2017 10:51:33
Go to Top of Page

defobust
Top Prospect

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  12:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont go counting out the leafs getting into that 3rd seed and meeting either ottawa or montreal in the first round and giving both teams a great series. The leafs hold there own playoff hopes in their hand with games coming up against very beatable teams like boston, Buffalo x2, detroit, flordia and tampa bay and new jersey. They also have a couple tough games against pittsburg washington chicago and columbus but if they win the games they should they can afford to lose the games against the tougher teams.

Sean K
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  12:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by defobust

Dont go counting out the leafs getting into that 3rd seed and meeting either ottawa or montreal in the first round and giving both teams a great series. The leafs hold there own playoff hopes in their hand with games coming up against very beatable teams like boston, Buffalo x2, detroit, flordia and tampa bay and new jersey. They also have a couple tough games against pittsburg washington chicago and columbus but if they win the games they should they can afford to lose the games against the tougher teams.

Sean K

I hadn't realized they took back the final wildcard spot again. But I think it will be tough to catch Boston, when there season ends like this

Chicago, Boston, Columbus (away), NJD (2nd half of a back to back with the first being an away game), Buffalo (away), Florida, Nashville, Detroit (away), Buffalo (away), Washington (2nd game of a back to back, with the first a road game), Tampa, Pittsburgh and Columbus.

They face playoff opponents in 7 of the final 13 games. Mix in Tampa as on of those non playoff opponents, near the end of the season, who is the team most likely to be battling with them till the final day and its gonna be a tough sled to make it. If they do they likely end up in a Wildcard spot, rather than challenging for 3rd in the Atlantic.

To be 3rd they would need to gain 4 points in the next 2 games and keep pace with a surging Boston team who has 8 home games and only 3 road games, to finish the season. Also in there final 11 games, against 5 non playoff teams + Toronto, with 2 back to backs, but in there back to backs they face the weaker teams in the first game. There route to 3rd is much easier, with an outside chance of overtaking Montreal, who also have a very easy end of the season, only playing 3 playoff opponent games (all Ottawa in 3 games).

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 03/17/2017 12:41:46
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  11:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm pretty pleased that TO has a good shot at a playoff spot this year. Did I just say that out loud?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  07:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm pretty pleased that TO has a good shot at a playoff spot this year. Did I just say that out loud?

Is that so you have a chance to see another epic collapse like we witnessed in 2013? Lol, all kidding aside, I'd love for TO to make the playoffs as well. Don't think they're good enough just yet to go anywhere really, but never say never to a potential 1st round upset? I think overall it's good for the NHL that the Leafs are back in the thick of things and are building what looks to be a strong team for the near future. (Leigh, that hurt to both admit, and type that!)
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2017 :  16:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Is that so you have a chance to see another epic collapse like we witnessed in 2013? Lol, all kidding aside, I'd love for TO to make the playoffs as well. Don't think they're good enough just yet to go anywhere really, but never say never to a potential 1st round upset? I think overall it's good for the NHL that the Leafs are back in the thick of things and are building what looks to be a strong team for the near future. (Leigh, that hurt to both admit, and type that!)

I hear that Alex! I think after all these years I`m starting to feel a little sorry for them. I suspect these feelings will disappear once Leafs fans start bragging again. They`ve been pretty humble for the last few seasons (didn`t know that was possible, SLOZO!! haha!)

In all seriousness they are looking good in 3rd spot, a point up and a game in hand, on Boston. They might just pull it off.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2017 :  12:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it won't be easy with Andersen down. How good can McElhinney be down the stretch for them, if Andersen can't make it back in the next 5-6 games? This could be a true test. Lucky for TO, they can score in bunches and possibly win a few high scoring games along the way?
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2017 :  17:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, it won't be easy with Andersen down. How good can McElhinney be down the stretch for them, if Andersen can't make it back in the next 5-6 games? This could be a true test. Lucky for TO, they can score in bunches and possibly win a few high scoring games along the way?

And now they have a built in excuse if they don't make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  09:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big win last night and McElhinney won them a 1 goal game! I think they'll make it, but TB and even Carolina certainly aren't making it easy on them!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2017 :  10:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should I revise these matchups to reflect the current standings? These are the matchups as of today. My vote today would be for Toronto / Ottawa.

Boston / Washington
Columbus / Pittsburgh
Rangers / Montreal
Ottawa / Toronto
Chicago / St Louis
Calgary / Anaheim
San Jose / Edmonton
Wild / Nashville
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  09:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the love out there for the Leafs, folks. I feel ya

My EPIC matchup would be Leafs vs Habs. Because, like . . . we are all time the biggest and longest rivalry in all of hockey, and it hasn't happened in over 30 years I think. Maybe 40, can't remember.

2nd choice is the Sens, for all the obviouv geographical reasons, historical playoff matchup reasons, and whiny Sens fans angsty reasons (sorry, couldn't resist).

3rd choice is non Leafs, have to throw one in there . . .
Pittsburgh vs Washington
Now it's with this caveat: it can't be 1st round. It should happen 2nd or third round, preferrably third round (unless the Leafs make a miracle happen).

Reason is obvious - Crosby vs Ovechkin, but this time on steroids - the Caps are the top team this year; Pittsburgh's the reigning champs. Both older-middle aged superstars are still productive and relevant, both teams would be ranked as the co-favourites to come out of the East. It's a match-up made in heaven with storylines, and in terms of pure hockey. Would love to watch it!

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  10:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can someone remind me what the NHL does after the 1st round is over. do they re-rank the brackets based on what teams move on? so if 8 beats 1, they would then play the next highest ranked team in the 2nd round. or are the brackets set in stone from day one?

I know they used to re-rank them after round 1, but can't remember if they changed it when they restructured the divisions a couple of years ago.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  10:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think 1-8, if 1 wins they go on to face the lowest placed team in there division. In the case of Washington, if they win against wildcard spot #2 they will go on to face either New York if they win against Montreal or if New York loses, the winner of the Pittsburgh Columbus series.

The West isn't nearly as decided for seeding. Nashville, Calgary and St Louis haven't settled into the wildcard positions or Central seeding yet. Assuming the seeding remains the same, Chicago could face Nashville in the first round and then the winner of the Minnesota St Louis matchup. The only way that changes is if Calgary falls to the Wildcard 2 spot, which would give Chicago Calgary in the first round and which ever Central division team ends up in the wildcard 1 seed, if they win as Chicago's 2nd round opponent, if they lose then they get the winner of the matchup between Minnesota and whomever there first round matchup is.

It is super complicated.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  18:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no reseeding anymore. The standings as they are today. Round 1 in the East would be...
Was/Tor
Pit/CBJ
Mon/NYR
Ott/Bos

Second round...winner of Was/Tor plays winner of Pit/CBJ, and winner of Mon/NYR plays winner of Ott/Bos.

Edited by - ryan93 on 04/07/2017 18:15:00
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to say this, just once...

GO LEAFS!
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  18:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still some seeding to be decided in the West, but the East matchups are almost set.

If the Leafs pick up at least 1 point against Columbus tomorrow it's...

Washington vs Boston
Pittsburgh vs Columbus
Ottawa vs Toronto
Montreal vs NYRangers

If the Leafs lose in regulation tomorrow it's,,,

Washington vs Toronto
Pittsburgh vs Columbus
Ottawa vs Boston
Montreal vs NYRangers

Edited by - ryan93 on 04/08/2017 19:00:53
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  00:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So there's still a chance for the Battle of Alberta. Wouldn't that be fun!

That was an exciting 3rd period for the Leafs tonight. I wonder if Andersen will be back any time soon? It was a good hit to the side of the head, and they were saying he's had concussion problems in the past. Have the Leafs playoff hopes ended before they've even began?
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  00:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see an Edm/Cal series! I'll be cheering for the Oilers & Kings tonight!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  12:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel cheated. The only way Toronto and Ottawa face each other is if both run the gauntlet and face in the Eastern conference final. Happy that 5 Canadian teams made it though. Long odds that that ever improves in the New NHL format.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page