Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 No suspension for Johnson? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  09:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the IIHF has a different set of rules for star players. Jack Johnson threw the cheapest elbow at the end of Canada's 3-2 win over the US and avoided suspension. Given the fact that the game was over he should have got at least one game. Garbage!

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  10:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You said it. Different rules for different players. Always has been and always will be....unless it is a serious injury (Bertuzzi / Moore)

Hey off topic. I watched the US / Canada Junior game on TV and you could clealy hear "US Sucks!" being chanted in the stands even before the hit. That's pretty poor. Not very gracious hosts. If we Americans did that, the world would jump down our throats! It's a little hypocritical don't you think?
Go to Top of Page

NuckH8R
Top Prospect

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  09:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vancouver has always had brutal fans. Any chance they get to take a poke at the US, they will take it. Thats OK though - we will take out Russia tommorow and beat Canada in the finals. And by the way, you Canucks need to learn how to take an elbow. Whiners.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are Canadian hockey fans supposed to greet with open arms a team that only a couple years ago beat them in the same competition by a flukey series of events? Maybe the fans were realistically reacting to the tournament favorite doing poorly in the round robin.

All you Americans should realise that regardless who dominates what sport, everyone loves to hate the US. Whether it be sports or politics (especially), the Americans never go unnoticed. On the other hand when Canada goes down south to play hockey (internationally), I couldn't be convinced we are welcomed with hugs either. It's Canada's love-hate relationship with its neighbour. Anyone watch the USA-Czech game? The Czechs were being cheered on as if in their own country, and Mr. Elbow McJohnson was being booed by everyone. What I find hypocritical is you guys telling us to "take the elbow" but you can fuss about Canadians not being 100% gracious fans to the most hated country in the world? Ahem....

Learn how to take an elbow? Excuse me? Well I don't know what kind of rugby spinoff hockey you play but I don't think players coasting down open ice celebrating a goal should have to watch out for cheap-ass flying elbows coming their way. Elbowing at all is a penalty, let alone a guy turning around after the play and deliberately trying to take out a player from the opposite team.

I can't wait to hear how fast you Americans shut up when you don't even make the finals. Then we'll see who the real whiners are.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  07:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys, hate to say I told you so.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  09:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The underlying anti-Americanism that was present at last night's USA-Russia game last night is making Vancouver hockey fans look bad. I understand that hating the US has become trendy, but let's get somthing straight here. The United States foreign policy has nothing to do with the 23 Eighteen year olds that played last night and booing a bunch of teenagers like that is truly weak. Can't the rink be the one politic free place in this world. And cheering for the Russians? Personally, I can't understand why fans would hope for our boys to have to face the tournaments best in the gold medal game.

I guess its ok if Russia beats us because they have beaten us in the past. But we can't have Team America World Police beat us - No way. Look what happened after the '96 World Cup of Hockey. We hit the panic button and started considering major changes to our national program.

Come on Vancouver, Corey Schneider could be a future Canuck, let's cheer for him and the Americans in the bronze medal game
Go to Top of Page

nazzy_19
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  12:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
luckily cory schneider was cheered when he recieved the US player of the game during the Canada/USA tilt the other night. of course anyone is going to look for a reason to boo the americans, and that cheap shot elbow was one reason for vancouver fans to feel justified in their jeering.

and what? learn how to take an elbow? give me a break nuckh8r, i think you're just trying to stir the pot and say something about the toughness of our kids or something. cheap shot, blind-sided elbows have no place in this game, and i know this from past experience. especially with the padding that players wear these days, it's akin to taking a puck in the face.

if johnson was about 2 inches to the left with that elbow, it would've been a very very bad situation.

by the way, the last few minutes of the USA/Russia game last night was as dirty as hockey can get. i'm surprised no serious injuries came out of that rugby scrimmage. Walt Kyle was gracious in his defeat though, and made sure his guys didn't blow a gasket... if this were a club game, would've been a way different story that's for sure.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  14:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to sound like a father walking in on a bunch of kids fighting but take a step back and look at this.

No one should chant "your country sucks!" it's childish and disrespectful. What are we teaching each other? Show a little respect for the sport and cheer on your country but don't bash the other. If you have to boo a deserving player go ahead but remember it all comes around. Just don't chant "your country sucks!", the only people you are disgracing is your own country. As Canadians we are the #1 ambasador for the game and we should act like that.

As for who Canada plays tomorrow, it made no difference to me as long as they were the best...or second best. heehee!
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  17:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen! Can't we just all get along?
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  19:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not trying to act like a kid, it's a debate. Never anything personal, just strong passionate debate. If that's too much for this forum let me know.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  10:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I'm just weighing in with my 2 cents ($Can)

Babs you should know that I like a good debate but again I feel passionately about not bashing other countries in sports. If it's politics thats another story but to make these 18 year old kids feel unwelcome here and that we don't like them because of where they come from crosses the line for me.
Go to Top of Page

nazzy_19
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  12:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you know how the vancouver fans are, en masse, but there are a select few non-biased hockey (canuck) fans that actually know what they're talking about. the fans here do tend to take a hero/villian stance in pretty much everything, and it ends up sounding like a WWE extravaganza with your main events and trash talking.

i'm not one to defend ignorance, but don't fault people for wanting to be entertained.

side note: the americans were a heavy favorite to win gold for this tournie and they choked. i seem to remember the canadian's being chided for years over their gold medal drought, being that this is our national sport and all.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  16:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  23:21:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember when the Americans put our flag upside down...we never let them here the end of it.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  11:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I thought I'd contribute this "partial" article from USA Today:

-------------------------------

USA TODAY - January 5, 2006 - The Americans, who have only four medals in the tournament's 29-year history, can win their second in three years. But their emotional valley results from a feeling that they squandered an opportunity to win this tournament. Their on-ice struggles were exasperated by the anti-American sentiment present throughout the tournament.

U.S. officials believe fans' decision to root for the USA's opponents primarily reflected a pro-Canadian philosophy about hockey. The Americans were cast as the favorite in a tournament that is extremely important to Canadians. Over the years, watching the world's best teen-age NHL prospects at the WJC on television has become a significant part of Canada's holiday tradition. With 12 medals in the last 13 years, the Canadians come into this tournament with high expectations.

Anti-American sentiment was heightened after U.S. defenseman Jack Johnson, a Carolina Hurricanes first-round pick, was penalized and given a game misconduct for an improper hit on Canadian forward Steve Downie, a Philadelphia Flyers prospect.

"I'm not going to speculate about whether politics had anything to do with it," said USA Hockey President Ron DeGregorio. "To me, this is just sports, and fans are going to be fans. I'm a Red Sox fan. We root against the Yankees."

Kyle, coach at Northern Michigan, said continually that he had great respect for Canada's hockey culture, but he conceded he was "disappointed" when Canadians chose to root for archrival Russia in the USA's 5-1 loss in Tuesday's semifinal.

"I think our players handled it well," DeGregorio said. "It just had a life of its own. Some Canadians themselves were not too proud of some of the fans. It just takes a minority of fans to make it seem worse than it was. We did not feel it was across the board."

Bob McKenzie, a Canadian and analyst for the TSN television network, initially said the anti-American sentiment "was almost a compliment because it was in recognition of the Americans having a pretty good team."

He said he has no issue with fans choosing to root for Canada's best interests or choosing to boo Johnson every time he had the puck.

But he said he was bothered by some fan behavior in the Russian game, especially at the end when they taunted the Americans with a vulgar chant and cheered enthusiastically when USA captain Kevin Porter was the victim of an over-the-top hit by a Russian player.

"Porter plays at the University of Michigan and he's a pretty classy kid," McKenzie said. "I saw this kid grow up. To me, it was piling on. The game was over. I was bothered."

McKenzie said on Canadian television that fans had gone too far.

"Last year when the tournament was in North Dakota, we had a bad snowstorm. The roads were closed and the good folks of North Dakota made sure the people who had come down from Winnipeg had a place to stay," McKenzie said. "The Americans treated the Canadians well. From a hockey standpoint, I had understood not wanting the Americans to do well. From a personal standpoint, it bothered me to see the Russians getting cheered. And they weren't gracious in victory."

With two Americans going second and third in last year's draft and USA players Phil Kessel and Erik Johnson potentially going No. 1 and No. 2 in the 2006 draft, USA Hockey seems to be in the midst of a golden era of player development.

-------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  11:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, in Atlanta. That's disrespectful to the country, mistake or not. But who are we to complain, some American hockey players got booed once.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page