Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Mogilny shafted Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  05:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just simply don't understand. Third in team scoring in fewer games. Ok so he might not have been fit on the top line with Elias' return and Gionta's magical season but what about the second line? He wasn't being given any ice time and yet still managed to put up points. I figured maybe it might be for cap room seen as he makes 3.5 million this and next year, but the Devils said they had cap room and it was a "personnel issue".

I just simply don't understand how you can throw away a star player like Mogilny.

NuckH8R
Top Prospect

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  09:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not sure why you don't get it. 25 points in 34 games for 3.5 million. There is your answer. And you think it makes sense to have that salary sitting on the second line? I agree he is a star player, but only when he wants to be. Managing to put up points doesn't cut it. He has the potential to still be great but he lacks the motivation. I think NJ did the right thing for his club. Maybe more GMs around the league should start sending messages to their underperforming superstars.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  16:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What did Tkachuk do for St. Louis a couple years ago when he was making $11 million?

Luongo this year and for the next 4 is making $5 million, he is underperforming.

Brodeur?

Iginla?

Need I go on...

Of course I would be under-motivated if I was Mogilny too. I'd be one of few players actually performing on the team, and I get put on the second/third line OR I'm a healthy scratch for a few games. Gee it's a wonder why he wasn't enjoying it.
Go to Top of Page

NuckH8R
Top Prospect

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  09:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No you need not go on, what you need to do is get your facts straight pal. First of all, Luongo is making 3.2 for this year and is a restricted free agent next year and is playing very well in front of a poor team. Brodeur is THE best goaltender in the league deserves every penny of his 5 million and change. Wayne Gretzky thought they were both good enough to name to the Olympic team, but what does he know. And I hate the Flames but Iginla is arguably the best player in the league.

I guess you must be a better judge of talent than all 30 GM's because apparantly they couldn't find a reason to pick up Mogilny as he cleared waivers yesterday.

Go to Top of Page

nazzy_19
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  19:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bad year for some great players... and with brodeur, he was just hung out to dry when his top two d-men retired (stevens), and was traded (neidermeyer). i'm sorry, but when you get arguably the top two defensive players in the league leave your team, there are going to be holes there to patch up. marty wasn't used to rebounds before this season, and his play will definately improve in the coming seasons for sure.

as for iginla, he needs a conroy. his type of play is indicative to how a team should play. i personally think the reason he was scoring so many points the past few seasons was because of the line he was on. conroy is a wicked set-up man, and makes everyone look good (who's got frolov in their pool?)

alexander mogilny is a liability, and nothing will ever change that for him until he starts playing again. i personally think his career is on the fast lane to obscurity, unless of course he actually starts trying.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  11:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad, I did get Luongo's contract mixed up. For some reason I had Gonchar's in mind when I said that. Regardless...

Luongo and Brodeur are two of, if not the two best in the league. Luongo plays for a flat out terrible team, yet he manages to maintain one of the best save percentages in the league, so maybe I stand corrected about his performance. Brodeur on the other hand, whom I admire a lot, is greatly underperforming. He is hardly above .500, his save percentage is below .900, his GAA almost 3, 1 shutout, etc. Sure he lost some good D in front of him but at the pro level, that's no excuse. The rookie Henrik Lundqvist for the Rangers is having a remarkable season in net, and I could never be convinced that their D is any much better than that of the Devils'. Brodeur simply is not having a franchise season.

Iginla too is immensely underperforming. I'm not suggesting he be put on waivers because that would be absurd but he only has 16G, 16A in 41 games. He's not even on pace to repeat his last few good season, in a new game which should favour him because of his speed and rarely paralleled skill. He simply needs to do more, especially being one of the best players in the world.

Mogilny will not be taken because he is too expensive, simple as that. I'm sure quite a few teams would be interested if he played for 1-1.5 million, which may never happen.
Go to Top of Page

Donald Beckett
Top Prospect

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  09:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey looks like the overpaid and underperforming Petr Sykora found a home. Mogilny has more upside and he will find a new home eventually.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page