Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Web site comments only
 Stats Updates Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest0821
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  14:07:48  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0596

Just run 2 simultaneous pools one here and one on another website, thats what i do.

So at least when one isnt too par, not saying this one since my other pool also had some mistakes in it, you have a backup.

And for everyone saying to chill out, you have to understand that if your the pool admin you get it from the people in your pool so you wright a comment on the forum to see whats going on.

do what I did this morning: upon the first email of complaint, I sent out an email to everyone in my pool with a link to this forum. Haven't heard from nobody since
Go to Top of Page

Guest9103
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  14:25:27  Reply with Quote
You can have a sense of loyalty towards this pool and whatnot and personally, I think this is a great pool service. But the admins really need to do something about this! It has been two days in a row where we've had to wait a ridiculous amount of time for an update. Especially today, its nearly 5:30pm eastern, there were only two games last night and the updates aren't even up yet. No one tell me to "calm down" or "live with it" or anything like that, because frankly, it is pretty ridiculous that the system is so messed up. The admins must do something to fix this, even if it means devoting 100% of their time to this problem until it is resolved.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6816
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  14:46:19  Reply with Quote
Guys, keep in mind this pool is free - your expectations are certainly the same as a paid site.

The best the Admins can do is to keep the users informed of the current issue and the plan to resolve it.

Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  15:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9103

You can have a sense of loyalty towards this pool and whatnot and personally, I think this is a great pool service. But the admins really need to do something about this! It has been two days in a row where we've had to wait a ridiculous amount of time for an update. Especially today, its nearly 5:30pm eastern, there were only two games last night and the updates aren't even up yet. No one tell me to "calm down" or "live with it" or anything like that, because frankly, it is pretty ridiculous that the system is so messed up. The admins must do something to fix this, even if it means devoting 100% of their time to this problem until it is resolved.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions here at pickuphockey. So I welcome the feedback. Thank you.

We are devoting 100% available time to this. We are working as hard as we possibly can. In fact we will be bringing in additional resources to bring a fresh perspective to the situation so that we can come up with a solution ASAP!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  15:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stats completed their update at 2:50pm PST today.

Although we are still looking to resolve this so that the updates are done early in the morning, I would recommend that for now you do your pool stats checks in the afternoon rather than the morning. Keeping in mind that the stats are still updating daily but just later in the day.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9103
( )

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  15:31:19  Reply with Quote
That's awesome, hopefully it gets up to speed soon.

Oh and by the way Guest4033, please read before you comment. I never said I hated the site. In fact I said that I'm a fan of the site. But a fan can still be critical. A leafs fan can love their team but still realize they really really suck.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  15:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

....Especially today, its nearly 5:30pm eastern, there were only two games last night and the updates aren't even up yet.....

To be clear...the amount of games is irrelevant. It is not as though we are sitting and waiting to input the games. As always, all the game stats we're input last night within 90 minutes of the final game's completion time. The problem is hardware/software related and not in any way due to a lack of effort or care on our part.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  15:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's awesome, hopefully it gets up to speed soon.

Oh and by the way Guest4033, please read before you comment. I never said I hated the site. In fact I said that I'm a fan of the site. But a fan can still be critical. A leafs fan can love their team but still realize they really really suck.

Agreed. I fully expect to be held to task on this site's performance and will always make every effort to keep everyone informed and respond to EVERY post/email we receive (nasty or otherwise) We only hope that when possible the feedback is civil and constructive, as we are people too.

Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  08:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same issue Tuesday morning...long batch run still going.

Although I don't know exactly when it will finish, my assumption is that it will be mid afternoon today based on how long it took on the weekend. So please check your pool stats then.
Go to Top of Page

magnificent bastard
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  08:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to tell you that you guys run the best pool management site out there. I've been using yours for two years now and nothing else even comes close.
After reading some messages from people giving you guys a hard time about the updates, I wanted to tell you guys how much I and all the guys in my pool love your site. I find it unfortunate how unappreciative some guys here are being, it's the whole "gift horse in the mouth" type deal.

Anyway keep up the good work, I know you guys are working hard at it!

Edited by - magnificent bastard on 11/13/2007 08:55:12
Go to Top of Page

magnificent bastard
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  10:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edit: never mind I obviously can't read my calendar, lol.

Edited by - magnificent bastard on 11/13/2007 10:12:00
Go to Top of Page

butch33
Top Prospect

35 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  10:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not here to complain -just pointing out observation

I find that most of us who use the forums here are the admin of their pool .I dont even know if anyone that is in my pool knows these boards exist -so naturally we get flack at work in the morning from fellow co-workers who are in the pool asking us ''whats up with that site dude '' and so on and so on

we're getting the brunt of the dissatisfaction from fellow poolies and sometimes taking it out on the people who run this site for free

I think I've used this service going on 3 seasons now and have been very satisfied .The admin is right here in the forums to be found and is always here to answer our concerns or questions .I'm sure this hiccup will be something we'll forget about in a few weeks -til then lets chill out and pass the word on to our fellow poolies to do so also

only the good die young
Go to Top of Page

Guest6549
( )

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  11:09:30  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6816

Guys, keep in mind this pool is free - your expectations are certainly the same as a paid site.

The best the Admins can do is to keep the users informed of the current issue and the plan to resolve it.

Love is free too, but that does not mean we should lower our standards...if something is worth doing, it is worth doing well otherwise do not do it at all.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4015
( )

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  11:19:57  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6549

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6816

Love is free too, but that does not mean we should lower our standards...if something is worth doing, it is worth doing well otherwise do not do it at all.

Good point, but not everything is always in your control either. I trust the admin enough to at least assume they're not purposely sabotaging the stats updates. That wouldn't make much sense at all now would it?
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  12:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok we have brought in some additional help to assist us with the problem. We have set up additional offline servers and are trying to replicate the problems and isolate the performance issue.

Again I remind you to ask your poolies to check your pool stats in the late afternoons for now until we have resolution (Please note that we are on the British Columbian coast so we are Pacific Standard Time)

Also please set your browser to allow for pop ups from our site so that you and your poolies will get the message board when you log into your pool.

I'll keep everyone posted here.
Go to Top of Page

magnificent bastard
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  12:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest6549: well if the stats updating 12 hours+ late is that big of a deal to you and your poolies then why not pony up and use a pay site?

All this complaining is stupid, you're getting a free service and they have stated they are working hard at fixing the issues. What's the point of looking like an ass by whining about it?

You guys come off as totally ungrateful.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2850
( )

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  12:51:35  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9836

Well it is really annoying when the stats aren't updated by 2pm

Get over it the pool is free. Stop your complaining. It will get done when it gets done. You are all acting like a bunch of spoiled kids.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  15:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey everyone. really appreciate the support. Let's give our guests a break. I can appreciate it is frustrating especially for new users to our site. They just don't know the great track record we've had for the years leading up to now. Like someone said above. I hope this will be behind us soon and just a foggy memory and we can look at going at least 5 more years without any major issues.

Update for today is almost done...
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New guests are entitled to their opinions, but I agree with the assessment that they come off sounding like spoiled kids.

You guys must have some major cash on the line to get as excited as you do about the stats not being up to the minute. Do you have daily payouts or something?

I doubt if the guys in my draft even notice. The only time I ever hear from them about our draft is if one of them is ahead of me - and that's a rare occurance.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2144
( )

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  17:53:55  Reply with Quote
A leafs fan can love their team but still realize they really really suck.

I agree the leafs suck... but this site rules!!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  18:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okee dokee. the stats are done updating....finally!!!

(5:41pm PST)
Go to Top of Page

MarkhamMax
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  19:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! Good to see the stats updated.
I admit it was frustrating not seeing the the stats updated the following morning, but complaining about it openly, as if complaining might actually have a positive impact... never crossed my mind.
I'm bewildered at the number of whiners here. And by 'whiners' it's not my intention to insult.
Every person has a choice. You can whine and offer nothing, or you can constructively opine about a matter at hand.
You choose to whine - that's what you are.
We all whine. Some pick their battles more wisely, while others just whine about everything.
Some whining is cloaked using seemingly clever catchphrases like 'something worth doing is worth doing well'.
A fine commandment, but not if you're whining while you speak it. Otherwise, your pearl of wisdom is misplaced, and serves nothing but to further aggravate an already aggravating situation.
It's like a good ole hockey face-wash to the Admin.
In not lashing back at the whiners, I think the Admin has a thick skin, and likely a good business sense. But I don't need to be politically correct, so I'll hurl a clever catchphrase back at you...
'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth'.

That may be a worn cliche - but some cliches are apparently worth repeating.

"Alfredsson is not Batman's butler's son."
Go to Top of Page

Hoowaa
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  04:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wooooohoooooo !!!

Stats updated before I go to work this morning, just like old time.

Thanks !

Can you shed light on what the problem was/is ?

I'm very curious.

Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  10:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the cheer Hoowa!

Ok as Hoowa has mentioned, we got the stats update done at about 2:00am PST last night. RIGHT ON SCHEDULE! We ran it 2 more times to keep testing. And those tests went well too, so we are optimistic, but guarded as well. We'll see how tonight goes, if it works smoothly we may call this thing resolved. But we'll wait and see yet.

We'll keep you posted folks!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  12:51:15  Reply with Quote
Great to hear Admin! Hopefully this is it what is amazing is that somehow I managed to survive without getting my stats first thing in the morning for a few days! I lived until the afternoon to read them whew!

I am a programmer and I know that troubleshooting thousands of lines of code and hundreds of server settings is not an easy task for anyone at any level of experience - Good job you guys!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  15:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

As we stated above, last night's update went off without a hitch and was very fast. We ran several more tests today on a replicated version of the site on an in-office server, and the stats updated VERY SWIFTLY!! So our confidence is growing that we have the problem licked! We'll be babysitting the live server/site tonight to see if all is well. We think so but we're cautiously optimistic. If the stats update speed goes off well tonight we think we're out of the woods.

Keep you posted!
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  17:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update Admin.

Edited by - blade on 11/14/2007 17:02:02
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  12:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stats update was WICKED FAST last night! (done at 1:22am PST) We believe we have solved the slow stats update problem and in the process made them even faster! We'll feel 100% after we make it through the weekend without any issues but our confidence level is extremely high.

Please note that the auto emails were turned off during the last couple days as we worked through the issue. So the auto email updates will resume tonight.

Thanks everyone!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  19:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it has been a week since the last slow stats update. We are officially calling this issue CLOSED!!! The stats updates have been incredibly fast since the fix has been applied (even faster than prior to the issue)

So one last time "Thanks for your patience and supprt everyone!"
Go to Top of Page

Guest8372
( )

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  06:53:06  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

Well it has been a week since the last slow stats update. We are officially calling this issue CLOSED!!! The stats updates have been incredibly fast since the fix has been applied (even faster than prior to the issue)

So one last time "Thanks for your patience and supprt everyone!"

Great job guys and gals (not sure gender of all those in the admin group and wouldn't want to exclude anyone just in case).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page