Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Lightning mishandled Andreychuk Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  12:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel really bad for Dave Andreychuk. He captains the Lighting to its first ever Stanley cup - also his first of a long, long career - and now he is getting the shaft from Lightning management. Signing him to a 2 year deal and then dumping him places an ugly mark on his otherwise incredible career.

Hindsight is 20/20 but how many guys get the opportunity to go out on top? This future hall-of-famer should have taken it and retired.

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  12:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Future Hall of Famer?

But yes he should have retired then, especially with the lockout afterwards.

The Lightning shouldn't have signed him, so yeah they did mishandle him from the beginning.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  10:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read this in the news section on this site and thought it was interesting...

While this season's salary (Andrychuck's) will no longer count against the salary cap, Tampa will take a full hit next season. A provision in the CBA states that for players over the age of 35 under multiyear deals, any year after the first season counts against the cap regardless of whether the player is no longer in the NHL or even retired.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  09:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is very interesting - lots of strange provisions in this new CBA. Knowing this, what was Tampa thinking signing him to a two year deal?

And Babs, I know what you are saying as I never thought he was that great of a player but I guess playing for 20 or so years and having been in his prime in the high scoring '80s help pad his stats. He scored 20 or more goals 19 times and will finish with 1,338 career points. Not bad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page