Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 NHL Players in the Olympics Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, So some of you have been saying the NHL should be pulling there players out of the Olympics because there should be amateur atheletes, then the very same go on to mention let "Spengler Cup" players and "KHL" players go, well if your taking out the NHL based on the "Pro" factor then you can not let any of the European leagues send there players as they are all professional. That would be a terrible mistake, The Olympics is about the best athelets in the world playing each other and the NHL players are the best in the world at Hockey.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  13:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reading an article about the Russia/Canada game today and found the best description of why the Professionals in the NHL should stay in the NHL and let amateur, Spengler and the other leagues play in the Olympics. This was the poster's response.

I must admit I'm more than a lttle leary for this game, And I pray Canada has the strength to tackle this powerhouse of a Russian squad. This being said, I must pose the question, are we playing with enough heart? I mean, if by some ill-concevied fortune we loose, will the Canadian team go back home to their mansions, million dollar bank accounts and think about missed oppourtunities? I think not. Its the same for Europeans in the NHL, they dont grow up playing road hockey, day in day out..shouting "Gretzky shoots....and scores...we win the Stanley Cup". If they loose in the playoffs they jump on the first flight back to their homeland and enjoy the fruits of their labor, earned or not. I question the use of professionals in this the Olympics that used to be for amateur athletes. The Stanley Cup is the Holy Grail for these players and being named to the olympic team is a line on their resume for their next contract negotiation.Does it take experience to win? Where are the young guns that are still trying to prove themselves, Stamkos, Tavares. I even think Jordan Eberly would have played with more heart than Perry If, and I do say that lightly...IF we loose, I hope it will be more than just a shrugg of the shoulders and a "oh well". I agree with the fact we need to use the most skilled players in the world, But if NHLers wern't allowed, how would the russians look? or the Sweeds for that matter. HEART is what will win Gold.

I wholeheartedly agree.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  15:43:35  Reply with Quote
most of the atheletes in the olympics are professional athletes, all the alpine skiers, speed skaters etc.. they travel around all year on world cup circuits making money (not to the extreme some nhl players do of course). The reason people watch the olympics is to see the top tier world class atheletes perform in their sports, if nhl players arent their in 2014 its not because the IOC wont let them, its because some Greedy yankee who has no reason to be still running the NHL, is to busy worrying about all the teams his league owns because he wants to keep them in markets where there just isn't enough intrest.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  15:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

most of the atheletes in the olympics are professional athletes, all the alpine skiers, speed skaters etc.. they travel around all year on world cup circuits making money (not to the extreme some nhl players do of course). The reason people watch the olympics is to see the top tier world class atheletes perform in their sports, if nhl players arent their in 2014 its not because the IOC wont let them, its because some Greedy yankee who has no reason to be still running the NHL, is to busy worrying about all the teams his league owns because he wants to keep them in markets where there just isn't enough intrest.

Damn Greedy Yankee!!! Bettman can only negotiate and agree to what the owners want him to do. In the end, the guy is a puppet with 30 strings attached to him. Scapegoat if you will. Something good happens, he has nothing to do with it. Something bad happens and he's the only one with egg on his face.

Let's not forget that the NHLPA has a 50% stake in this as well. They may (meaning the players) want to not include it in the next CBA.

Specifically in team sports, I would suggest that the pro's do not always produce the best product on the World Stage. Consider basketball or baseball. In most respects, amateurs(meaning college level of lower) would produce a better product than the pros.

I would agree that pro Hockey players(regardless of them being NHL, KHL, or other) are the cream of the crop.

Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  06:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it interesting that top-flight Russian players have already said they will basically give the middle finger to the NHL if it plans on pulling out of Sochi and play anyways, yet not a single Canadian has said the same thing. If all players said they will play for their countries, the NHL's hand would be forced and this wouldn't be an issue, as they would have to make some sort of a deal. Yet all the Canadian players are remarkably silent on the issue. It is possible Russian players want olympic participation more? Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  08:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

I find it interesting that top-flight Russian players have already said they will basically give the middle finger to the NHL if it plans on pulling out of Sochi and play anyways, yet not a single Canadian has said the same thing. If all players said they will play for their countries, the NHL's hand would be forced and this wouldn't be an issue, as they would have to make some sort of a deal. Yet all the Canadian players are remarkably silent on the issue. It is possible Russian players want olympic participation more? Just a thought.

I think all other nations which do not have a stake in the next Olympics have mostly stayed out of it as they are going to use this a major poker chip in the next negotiation. With regards to Russians they are basically saying they will forfeit NHL contracts and seek playing time in the KHL. This pretty much insures all future negotiations with Russian players will end with the owner management holding this over the player, when it comes to worth vs risk. If it was me I never sign a long term contract longer than 3 years, never with a no movement clause and only then at 85-90% of actual value, for Russian superstars.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 02/26/2010 08:25:27
Go to Top of Page

Guest8885
( )

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  11:49:26  Reply with Quote
Let the players vote on it, it should be their call, and boot bettman
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  12:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are arguing that players only have a vested interest in the Olympics if they are the host country. That is a pretty bad argument, as I'm sure Canadians (or Americans) would welcome the opportunity to repeat in Sochi in 2014. I also saw alot of NHL players outside of Canada participate in these Olympics and they were a pretty large success.

Simply put, if every Canadian/American/Fin/Swede player came out and said they would play in the next Olympics anyways (following the Russian's lead), then NHL attendance would remain. Because they are not doing that, they are just as much to blame as the owners for the NHL not partipating (fully) in Sochi.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  20:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You cant take them out. If you dont wanna see NHLers watch the world juniors.
Better luck next time bud.
Anyone should be able to support their country.
The figure skaters are pro and make a ton of money form other competitions, and same with skiers and snowboarders.
Realistically, Shaun White might be the richest Olympian, Should they not have him compete. NO cause he brings the spirit of the Olympics and he fills the seats.

Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2332
( )

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  08:04:58  Reply with Quote
What is so wrong about bringing pro players to the Olympic? Injury? Only Bergeron of team Canada had an injury during the tournament. Getting tired? They are professional, they are training all years long, its not 4 to 6 games that will change their energy. And you can start the season 2 weeks before to give them a 4-5 days of break. Pro athlete doesn't have heart? Did you really watch olympic? Bergeron was injured in the first period of the first game and he still continue to play in every game and did a great job on faceoff and PK. I also saw Dany Heatley throw a leg on the ice to block a shot. NHL don't have any benefit form it? Who were in the finals? Only team with NHL players. They prove to the world that they are the best league in the world with the best athlete.

Sorry for the bad english, it's my third language.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  11:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

I don't think its really fair to keep the players in. All the dominating countries have good NHl players. Banning NHL players from the Olympics would make it more even.

GO PREDATORS GO

Then they better ban the Austrians from Alpine skiing and ban South Koreans from Speed Skating ... you know just to make it fair
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  10:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its basically the second coming of the Spengler Cup if we don't allow NHL players in the games. I definitely won't be watching it. Goodluck to Bettman trying to keep his job when Ovie and the boys leave.

Mide as well take Shaun White out of the games too, olympics are about the best athletes.. who cares if they are amateurs or not. I don't understand how this could possibly be a bad idea for the NHL. The gold medal game was the most watched in 30 years, with every player in the game from the NHL.. but yeah who cares right? Lets get rid of it. It would probably have the same amount of viewers if the NHLers weren't involved.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page