Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Who's Better? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  08:19:51  Reply with Quote
Who's the better team- The Edmonton Oilers of the 1980s
The Montreal Canadiens of the late 70s
The Boston Bruins of the early 70s
The Pittsburgh Penguins of the early 90s

Edited by - willus3 on 12/06/2007 15:05:14

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  08:23:23  Reply with Quote
Oilers all the way, 5 stanley cups in 7 years, that is unheard of and could have won 6 if they would have beat those stupid isles.
by the way, why aren;t the islanders of the early 80's on the list lol
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  08:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are 2 guest 4912's?

Canadiens for sure.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  15:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The late 70's Canadiens team is the best NHL team ever iced. I think there was only 9 Hall of Famers on that team.
Coached by the most successful coach of all time.
A top 5 d-man all time.
2 top 15 d-men all time.
An all time great goalie.
A top ten player all time.
Best defensive forward all time.
A 60 Goal scorer who was awesome in close.
A very good skating team who played a system to perfection.
The Habs would beat the Oilers in a series.
It's funny, this was actually confirmed in a SIM game. Whatif Sports. Habs against Oilers came out in favour of the Canadiens 4-1. Yes, it is only a SIM game.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  17:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Boston team of the early to mid-70's was one of the best of all time. They may have won only 2 Cups, but look at the line up?? Orr, Esposito, Bucyk, Hodge, Cheevers, O'Reilly, Ratelle, Park. That was one of the finest teams ever assembled. The problem is that Philly and Montreal also had some of the finest teams ever assembled. Pitt is in the same boat. Lemieux, Stevens, Francis, Jagr, Coffey, Recchi, Mullen, Trottier, Barrasso, Murphy and Tocchet. It's like reading a list of Hall of Famers.

Just like you said, the numbers don't lie. Look at that list of players. Sick teams and they both belong. As do the early 80's Islanders that have been omitted from the list for some reason.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  18:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Yes. And I know they all deserve to be in this forum. But two of the four simply run away with the show.

I think a funner and possibly more interesting question would be what was the worst team to win the cup?

Habs get number 25 this year

On any given day any one of the teams listed could win against the others. None of them are runaways here.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  04:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

I think a funner and possibly more interesting question would be what was the worst team to win the cup?

Well, I posted the line-up of that '86 Habs team on the Greatest Goaltender thread. I think it has to be a top contender for this title. The Broad Street Bullies would have eaten that Habs team alive (literally - I can picture Dave Schultz eating Mats Nasland's arm as I write this).

As for the question at hand, my guess is that the Habs of '76/77 would beat the mid '80s Oilers team in maybe six games. They were the better all-round team and the Big 3 on defense would have presented the Oilers with an obstacle significantly superior to anything they ever faced. Also the second/third line guys on the Habs (Mondou-Lambert-Trembley for example) would be able to skate with the Oilers. Not many of their mid-80s opponents could do that. In fact, it was in part for that reason that the aging Islanders gave way to the Oilers in '84. That, and Mark Messier (have to get in a little plug for my Messier argument). And Gainey would have matched up well against a guy like Kurri.

Perhaps most importantly, my guess is that in assessing this question people are probably, once again, putting too little weight on the greatness of Lafleur in his prime. He simply wouldn't let his team lose. Messier would try the same for the Oilers no doubt - that and the magic of Gretzky, Anderson and so on get it to 6.

But there is no shame in losing in 6 games to the greatest team ever. That would mean that the Habs would have lost two games in the series. Considering they lost 8 games in all of '76/77, that ain't a bad showing at all by the Oilers.

Edited by - andyhack on 12/14/2007 04:36:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page