Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Greatest Goaltender of All-Time Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Devils Fanatic
Top Prospect

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  12:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Since the NHL is 90 years old now, who do you think is the greatest goaltender of all-time?

Martin Brodeur ~ 913 GP | 505 W | 273 L| 120 T| 2.21 GAA| 94 SO
2007-2008 ~ 22 GP | 11 W | 10 L | 1 OTL |2.31 GAA |.910 SV%|2 SO

Choices:

Patrick Roy
Martin Brodeur
Dominic Hasek
Ken Dryden
Jacques Plante
Glenn Hall
Terry Sawchuk
Other (tell me who)

Edited by - willus3 on 12/07/2007 07:16:50

Devils Fanatic
Top Prospect

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  13:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested to see who the other votes go towards.

Devils fan since the 85-86 season
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  15:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brodeur, either him or Roy.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  16:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brodeur is better on paper in every category. I think Roy had an etitude problem, to be honest. But Roy revolutionized the game. It hurts me to vote against Patrcik, but Brodeur gets the nod.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  16:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we go with the whole "revolutionized" thing. What did Roy really do to revolutionize the game?

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  17:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He patented the butterfly and turned the goalie position into a much more glorified position. He got Quebec excited. In fact, it's safe to say Brodeur owes kudos to Roy.

Think about it. All the scoring greats came before Roy. After him, goaltending was a science. Before him, the goalie let in a lot of goals. With a few excpetions, all the focus was on the regular skaters. In comes Roy and in his first season becomes a Montreal great. I have more to say, but I'm saving it for a later rebuttal which I'm sure I will see the need to present.

Go to Top of Page

Devils Fanatic
Top Prospect

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  17:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to have to rate Brodeur and Roy on a scale of 5 for different categories

Puckstopping ability

Roy
4.5/5
Brodeur
4/5

Puckhandling

Roy
3.5/5
Brodeur
5/5

Style

Roy
5/5
Brodeur
4.5/5

Between the 2, they are very close, though some may argue these ratings

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  18:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about rebound control? GAA? Ability to take over a game? Consistency? Thats hard to rate and up for debate but that is what we have these forums for and that is the true measure of a goalie in the NHL.

Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  06:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brodeur, and Roy are both great goalies, it is too bad that Roy had to move to such large equipment to stay in the game, as for Brodeur he is still using the same small equipment as when he entered the NHL...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  06:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

He patented the butterfly and turned the goalie position into a much more glorified position. He got Quebec excited. In fact, it's safe to say Brodeur owes kudos to Roy.

Think about it. All the scoring greats came before Roy. After him, goaltending was a science. Before him, the goalie let in a lot of goals. With a few excpetions, all the focus was on the regular skaters. In comes Roy and in his first season becomes a Montreal great. I have more to say, but I'm saving it for a later rebuttal which I'm sure I will see the need to present.

How could he patent butterfly, he wasn't the first butterfly goalie.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  09:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brodeur is better on paper in every catagory?? Stats through last year:

Reg Season
Wins-Roy(551 to 494)
Win %-Broduer(.555 to .536)
GAA-Brodeur (2.20 to 2.53)

Play Offs
Wins-Roy (151 to 89)
Win % -Roy (.611 to .585)
GAA-Brodeur (1.88 to 2.30)

Broduer definately has the edge in SO and save percentages are very close. Roy faced more shots as well. At the end of the day, their numbers are very close. Broduer does not look overwhelmingly better on paper.

You also have to look at three other areas:

Timelines - Roy played through the heart of the highest scoring period in hockey. Broduer, played mostly in the dead puck era.

Teams - Some could argue that the mid-80's Montreal teams were pretty decent defensively, but compared to Brodeur's trap playing Devils, there was no comparison. Easily, without question, Broduer has played on better defensive teams.

Play Offs- In my opinion, the most important area. Roy was, without question, the best clutch play off goalie of all time. The numbers might not be the best ever, but the guy didn't only win a game here or there for his team, he won series and playoffs with absolutely stellar play.

I take nothing away from Broduer, and I can see how some might have him as the best. I would not. Roy is the best, no question in my mind.

Minimally, Broduer is not so much better on paper than Roy to make that statement.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  00:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know why New Jersey started playing the trap?

They started playing the trap because they knew they had a goalie in the net that could face 20 shots, or 40 shots, and still play well.

Brodeur made New Jersey, and the trap, other teams tried, but when their goalie faced less than 20 shots they still lost...

The two of them, Roy, and Brodeur are so close it is hard to call, I can not stand Roy because he gave up on his team "crying" they scored too many goals on me I quit booo hooo...

- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  07:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Puck, I think you hit the nail on the head. Most people don't like Patrick Roy, so they pick Brodeur.

And regardless if you agree or disagree that the trap system did not help Broduer, it's pretty hard to argue that Broduer did not have better defensive teams in front of him. Broduer, through last year, faced an average of 25.56 shots/game. Roy is as 26.93. Doesn't seem like much, but if Broduer makes the same total games as Roy (1029) it's likely that Roy will have faced over 1400 more shots in the same number of games. That's almost an entire season of shots more!!

I am not arguing that they are two of the finest ever, maybe #1 and #2. We may be having another Orr vs. Gretzky thing starting here. I just can't help but give the nod to Roy based on the workload and the weaker defensive teams, as well as the absolute clutch playoff performances.

Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  09:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Beans, but all those extra shots that Roy faced could have been from the blue line, even though it is a shot on net, it was not all that hard to stop...

- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  11:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or they could have been 2 on 1 or breakaways. You can't know for sure.

The law of averages would say there would be a combination of a number of different shot type.

Can you not agree that Roy had to work a little harder to succeed based on getting more shots on net?? Regardless of the shot type, it still has to be stopped.

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  11:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

Yes Beans, but all those extra shots that Roy faced could have been from the blue line, even though it is a shot on net, it was not all that hard to stop...

- - Marshall McLuhan

I would think with Jersey playing the trap that Brodeur would be the one facing more shots from the blueline area. Roy's teams would allow more quality shots against.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

Devils Fanatic
Top Prospect

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  12:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always liked how Brodeur can play almost every game in every season and show almost no sign of slow down. I will admit last season he may have been played a little too much. Over 900 games in only 15 season should say enough.

I also wanted to point out that many teams play some type of trap system these days, and they can thanks New Jersey and Brodeur for it. They may or may not have invented the style, but they were the ones to make it a well known style.

And what about that trapezoid you see behind the net these days. This prevents goaltenders (like Brodeur, Turco) from making trap damn near impossible to get around.

If were talking about innovation, Brodeur is the one who really helped innovate defense in the NHL.

I will outright admit that both Brodeur and Roy are so close in skill its hard to tell them apart. Either way they both will be right beside each other in the HHOF.

Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  09:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Or they could have been 2 on 1 or breakaways. You can't know for sure.

The law of averages would say there would be a combination of a number of different shot type.

Can you not agree that Roy had to work a little harder to succeed based on getting more shots on net?? Regardless of the shot type, it still has to be stopped.

That is true Beans, but with the massive upper pads he wore towards the end of his career, he did not have to move to save the puck, it just hit him...

- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

LeafsFan4Life
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  10:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the greatest goaltender of all time was André "Red Light" Racicot of the montreal canadians he had the second highest winning percentage in 1993, and he was a very under rated goalie plus he had a cool nickname

Long Live Hockey
Go to Top of Page

Guest5052
( )

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  13:57:53  Reply with Quote
No one in Canada likes to admit it but Hasek was the best goalie of all time. During his prime and up against the likes of Roy and Brodeur he won 6 of 8 Vezina Trophies and two Hart trophies (not to mention an Olympic gold).

Yes, both Roy and Brodeur have had better careers and better playoff success. But that playoff success must be attributed in part to their teams (I suspect, although no one can say for sure, that Hasek would have had similar success on either Roy's or Broduer's teams).

That Roy and Brodeur have had better career's speaks to Hasek's background and their longevity (which I am not a big fan of... on another debate, but you can't ever tell me that Mike Gartner was a better hockey player than Cam Neely, but Gartner's career was indeed better....I digress).

If Hasek was not the best goalie of all time (or at least better than Roy and Brodeur) then someone explain why for 8 years neither of those two won any goaltending awards and Hasek was dominant.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  02:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is starting to become my standard line it seems BUT, and PLEASE, someone out there support me on this, Roy did NOT, I repeat DID NOT have ANYWHERE NEAR GREAT teams in front of him in Montreal!!!!! Good maybe, but certainly not great. This point seems to be one of, if not THE, biggest misconceptions on this site!!!!!!!

He did have very good teams in front of him in Colorado. I'll grant you that. But he was super there too when he had to be actually.

You want to knock Roy, knock him for sometimes doing some loony things or something (but also note Greg Smith's interesting comment on the best display of sportsmanship he ever saw). But please, enough of this "Roy was on great teams" thing, because LET'S FACE IT, two of those cups he has to his name came on teams that, but for him, were hitting the golf courses A LOT earlier than they ended up doing in those years!!!!!!

Whew. Okay, now I feel better.

Back to work.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  07:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5052

No one in Canada likes to admit it but Hasek was the best goalie of all time. During his prime and up against the likes of Roy and Brodeur he won 6 of 8 Vezina Trophies and two Hart trophies (not to mention an Olympic gold).

Yes, both Roy and Brodeur have had better careers and better playoff success. But that playoff success must be attributed in part to their teams (I suspect, although no one can say for sure, that Hasek would have had similar success on either Roy's or Broduer's teams).

That Roy and Brodeur have had better career's speaks to Hasek's background and their longevity (which I am not a big fan of... on another debate, but you can't ever tell me that Mike Gartner was a better hockey player than Cam Neely, but Gartner's career was indeed better....I digress).

If Hasek was not the best goalie of all time (or at least better than Roy and Brodeur) then someone explain why for 8 years neither of those two won any goaltending awards and Hasek was dominant.

I think that this one is very much like the Lemieux vs. Gretzky debate. Hasek, like Lemiuex, has too many what if's. What if Hasek played on a better team, what is Hasek had the heart of a hockey player, what if Hasek didn't have a glass groin that seemed to only act up in the play offs when his team was behind??

Hasek may have more Vezina's and definately had a streak that might not be happen again. But is also happened before. Jacques Plante and Bill Durnam both won the Vezina 6 out of 7 years, Plante won 5 in a row!! Both Roy and Brodeur have won 3 out of 4 in different times and Broduer very well may win 6 out of 8. He's only 35, and after a slow start to this year, he's warming up. 3rd in wins in the league, a GAA of 2.25 and over .900 save %.

In the end, Hasek is not the best in my books for one reason, the play offs. Talk about who had better teams all you want. In the end, Hasek will be remember through time not for what he did on the ice, but the fact he wasn't on the ice when his team needed him the most.

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  14:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Hasek playing on a better team really should be a prominent 'what if.' He played on Detroit, and Ottawa, two cup contenders, one of which went all the way. Injuries is another story.

Now, while what-ifs play a big part of hockey talk, I am personally against them. Hasek could have been, would have been, should have been. Newsflash, he wasn't. What if St. Louis had size? What if Gretzky had played today? He doesn't, he didn't, Gretzky is the best player all time. I hate to be so blunt, it goes against my nature since I believe that Lemieux was the better player, but Gretzky has the credentials, it's that simple.

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  14:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think Hasek playing on a better team really should be a prominent 'what if.' He played on Detroit, and Ottawa, two cup contenders, one of which went all the way. Injuries is another story.

Now, while what-ifs play a big part of hockey talk, I am personally against them. Hasek could have been, would have been, should have been. Newsflash, he wasn't. What if St. Louis had size? What if Gretzky had played today? He doesn't, he didn't, GretzkyHAS THE BEST CAREER ALL TIME. I hate to be so blunt, it goes against my nature since I believe that Lemieux was the better player, but Gretzky has the credentials, it's that simple.

Fixed that up for you.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore

Edited by - willus3 on 12/11/2007 14:28:17
Go to Top of Page

Guest5052
( )

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  14:33:54  Reply with Quote
I agree "what ifs" are somewhat academic and don't mean all that much, but with Hasek there is no need to rely on the "what ifs". In his prime he was the most dominant goalie. I am not knocking Roy or Brodeur but when Hasek was in his prime they were deemed to be not as good as he was. You may argue that they were more clutch than he was, although again, I'd suggest that their playoff success came as a result of team efforts.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  16:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if's can get frustrating at times, but it's also interesting to talk about them. Just my spin.

And in respect to the Hasek debate, I guess it's a matter of opinion. Hasek, in his prime may have been the best in the period of time. I personal think when you look at their entire careers, Hasek does not stand up to Brodeur or Roy, or Esposito or Hall or Sawchuk for that matter.

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  17:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5052

I agree "what ifs" are somewhat academic and don't mean all that much, but with Hasek there is no need to rely on the "what ifs". In his prime he was the most dominant goalie. I am not knocking Roy or Brodeur but when Hasek was in his prime they were deemed to be not as good as he was. You may argue that they were more clutch than he was, although again, I'd suggest that their playoff success came as a result of team efforts.

The team effort can't be ignored, true. They were also a little lucky too (as I've said before, God is a Habs fan). BUT, Roy was, by far, the MAIN reason those good, but not great, '86 and '93 teams won their Cups!

Maybe you have to be a Montreal-hating Boston fan to understand just how instrumental he was, I don't know. And I don't think the "What if" works here personally. Hasek in Roy's place in those years - in my opinion the Habs have two less Cups on their all-too glorious resume. Those Hab teams were arguably not any better than some of the late 90s Sabre teams Hasek had, and certainly not better than some of the Ottawa/Detroit teams Hasek has had since then.

Roy's accomplishments (on those Habs teams in particular) are tremendously underrated by some on this site. Think of it this way. What Cup-winning teams in the last 40 years were the least capable of winning the Stanley Cup - or the biggest surprise winners if you want? The answer is probably the '86 Habs and the '93 Habs.

Edited by - andyhack on 12/11/2007 18:04:32
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  18:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean about Roy dominating. But not quite in the same way as the Dominator. Im thinking the year they won the cup, him coming and slidetackling the player at the blueline to save a brekaway. Unique. Very

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  19:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know what you mean about Roy dominating. But not quite in the same way as the Dominator. Im thinking the year they won the cup, him coming and slidetackling the player at the blueline to save a brekaway. Unique. Very

Ya, Roy's domination was much more impressive because of what it produced. Andy's point is dead on in a couple of ways. Firstly, I don't think that the Mont teams that won the Cup with Roy were any better than the Sabre's teams that didn't win with Hasek. Also, I don't think that Hasek, in his prime or not, could have won those two Cups like Roy did.

Edited by - Beans15 on 12/11/2007 20:11:01
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  19:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They both had slight attitude problems though, more for Roy. And I don't understand why Roy didn't play mroe seasons. He should have and could have. Here we go again.

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  05:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hasek in his prime on the same team could have accomplished the same as Roy

Alex, Alex, Alex, Alex

The "same team"? What team are we talking about here? NOT the 76/77 Habs!!!!!!!!

I actually have no problem with you or Guest 5052 drawing a different opinion from me about Hasek being better than Roy or coming down on the other side of the "What if" question for Hasek instead of Roy on those Cup winning Habs teams. That is just a difference of opinion. Fair enough.

But, PLEASE, can we stop with the comments that make it seem like those Habs teams were great. They were as far from great as I am from Canada this month (pretty ffff'n FAR!)!

Here is that POWERHOUSE team that, apparently, Hasek, and from the way you guys make it sound, any of the top goaltenders, could have backstopped to the Cup in '86:

Bob Gainey (OLD BY THEN), Doug Soetaert, Patrick Roy, Rick Green, David Maley, Ryan Walter, Serge Boisvert, Mario Tremblay (OLD BY THEN), Bobby Smith, Craig Ludwig, Tom Kurvers, Kjell Dahlin, Larry Robinson (OLD BY THEN), Guy Carbonneau, Chris Chelios (OKAY, HE WAS GOOD - BUT ARGUABLY NOT YET "GREAT"), Petr Svoboda, Mats Naslund, Lucien DeBlois, Steve Rooney, Gaston Gingras, Mike Lalor, Chris Nilan, John Kordic, Claude Lemieux, Mike McPhee, Brian Skrudland, Stephane Richer

Is this team great, very good, or even better than any of the late 90s Sabres teams? I don't think so.

Edited by - andyhack on 12/12/2007 05:20:48
Go to Top of Page

Guest2821
( )

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  11:56:05  Reply with Quote
Ron Hextall
Go to Top of Page

Berniefan4life
Top Prospect

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  11:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now that I found this topic...

I have two points... as much as I dislike the Hab's

ROY is the best goalie in hockey all-time, he won the cups for Montreal.. in my opinion no one else could have....

but my second GREATEST GOALTENDER is the Great, the one, the only Bernie Parent
In my books he is the Greatest "Roy" excluded.
I know I am bias but oh well.

Flyers Fan since age 5
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  12:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eddie Belfour is my pick and should be compared to Roy and Brodure as far as stats go. He won Calder and im not sure how many times he had the fewest goals allowed in his net threw the entire season. He got his cup and he also put up alot of his best numbers on a weak Chicago team.

I almost forgot to mention how bad Hasek is he cant stop the puck enough times to win Detroit the cup and he only faces 15-20 shots a game and not very good ones i might add. If he wouldnt flop around the net like a retard maybe he would be able to stop the puck. How old is Osgood and he is the far better goaltender of the two.

Edited by - tbar on 02/14/2008 12:22:16
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  15:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken Dryden would easily have been one of the greatest goalie's ever (he obviously was, but could have been the undisputed best).

Too bad he had to go in to law after six seasons!

The only thing that comes to mind is the infamous words of Wizard of Oz (in a slight remiz version)

''Oh, if he only had no brain!''

Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  17:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

And in respect to the Hasek debate, I guess it's a matter of opinion. Hasek, in his prime may have been the best in the period of time.

I have to agree with this. I might also add that Hasek was playing with a below .500 team in his early days in Buffalo whereas Roy was always on a above .500 team

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  17:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
take out brodeur and roy

roy is NOT the best goalie ever. excuse my language

HES A p****

ok he won 2 cups with the habs. yeah well montreal was amazing then.
did you notice montreal probably had the best defence those years?
as soon as montreal lost their good defence. he left. he quit. as much as i hate the habs i wouldnt give up if they started to suck. then he comes back to his NEW team colorado. that was the year where they had

sakic
hedjuk
kariya
forsberg
blake
selanne

thats a good team. im not saying he wasnt a good goalie. he made good saves and stood on his head. but put him on a bad team with no defence. lets see how he does. plus my dad told me he cheated. he put air sacks in his jersey to stop the puck.

he was good but no hall of fame goaaltender

as for brodeur same thing.

hes not that big of a wuss to leave NJ is they started to suck. but NJ may no have the best offence anymore. but they have good defence who can play the trap. again im not saying brouder isnt good. but hes not as good as people say he is. when he won cups with NJ

they had great defence heres too for example

scotty niedermayer
scott stevens... who would litterally crush you so you didnt get to the net.

i like broduer and roy but to me they dont match up as the best goalies of all time.

and out of the guys on the list

i would say

i guess sawchuck since he was so good considering back in the day it was easy to score.

quote:
Originally posted by Devils Fanatic

Since the NHL is 90 years old now, who do you think is the greatest goaltender of all-time?

-Red Wings GM

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Guest7010
( )

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  21:20:26  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

[quote]
Huh? Did you see that roster that Andy posted? That's probably as good as the Leafs roster right now.

[quote]Originally posted by Leafsfan_94
he was good but no hall of fame goaltender

[quote]
Winningest goalie of all time and the soon to be winningest (plus the soon to be most shutouts of all time) not hall worthy? Take off those Leafs winning the Stanley cup glasses and smell the 40+ year drought. Brodeur like Roy will be a first ballot HOF.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  15:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry Sawchuk and Eddie Belfour

Edited by - hanley6 on 12/30/2008 15:20:53
Go to Top of Page

shazariahl
Top Prospect

50 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  10:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd probably say the Dominator was the best, at the top of his game. The Sabbers had a 3 season stretch where they gave up more shots than any other team in the league, and yet Hasek led the league in save % those same 3 seasons. Conversely, the Devils gave up less shots than any other team in the league. I think career wise, Roy and Brodeur both rate above him, but that's also partly an age issue - if Hasek had been playing here since he was 20, his career would look much stronger.

Fact is though, that during his prime he was better than Roy or Brodeur.
Go to Top of Page

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  11:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

take out brodeur and roy

roy is NOT the best goalie ever. excuse my language

HES A p****

as soon as montreal lost their good defence. he left. he quit. as much as i hate the habs i wouldnt give up if they started to suck. then he comes back to his NEW team colorado. that was the year where they had

sakic
hedjuk
kariya
forsberg
blake
selanne

thats a good team. im not saying he wasnt a good goalie. he made good saves and stood on his head. but put him on a bad team with no defence. lets see how he does. plus my dad told me he cheated. he put air sacks in his jersey to stop the puck.

he was good but no hall of fame goaaltender

hes not that big of a wuss to leave NJ is they started to suck. but NJ may no have the best offence anymore. but they have good defence who can play the trap. again im not saying brouder isnt good. but hes not as good as people say he is. when he won cups with NJ

they had great defence heres too for example

scotty niedermayer
scott stevens... who would litterally crush you so you didnt get to the net.

i like broduer and roy but to me they dont match up as the best goalies of all time.

and out of the guys on the list

i would say

i guess sawchuck since he was so good considering back in the day it was easy to score.

quote:
Originally posted by Devils Fanatic

-Red Wings GM

Leafsfan_94

in the avs players you should add Ray Bourque, i think it's a good asset too, but to stick to the point of who's the best goalie, it's hard to say, i put them on the same level because the both have good qualities and both played really well

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page