Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Kulimen Leafs Savior? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  08:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to Dave King on the radio yesterday and he had some interesting facts regarding the Leafs young Russian star Kulimen. Apparently this guy according to King is a star in the making and he said the Leafs have a real bona-fide blue chipper who is near the top in the Russian elite league in scoring but also possesses the skills to play in all situations. He said, without a doubt he could be playing in the NHL now except for his obligation to play out the season over there. He is already signed by the Leafs and locked up for next year. Could he be the next savior for the Leafs?

ponder
Top Prospect

9 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  09:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alot of Leaf's fans are aldready talking about him. Hard to make a fair evaluation, since he's in Russia, but last season he was 3rd in the league in goals scored, first in goals in the playoffs, won RSL MVP, and did it all while only 20. This season he's tied for 6th in goals, and 2 goals behind 2nd place (Morozov). With that being said, no scouts are calling him an Ovechkin/Malkin or even Semin/Zherdev type of talent, so I wouldn't get TOO excited. Probably the best Leaf's prospect though.
Here's a video of his highlights from last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOuMTVr77B8
Go to Top of Page

Guest9252
( )

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  10:25:44  Reply with Quote
I guess with he will be the next guy that leafs fans place on a pedestal as their next saviour? We have seen this many times now where the leafs have some young star you have never heard of that is going to break out and I guess now that Stralman or whoever and all those other guys are not performing its time to move on to the next hope?

Oh dear...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  10:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A mythical combination of Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Messier and Orr could not save the Leafs. They are in big trouble long term unless the start some kind of rebuilding structure now. Even if this kids turns out to be a Kovalchuk/Ovechin type player, without anything around him he will be like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin. Highlight reel player with no chance in hell of taking a team of low potential players anywhere.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  11:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is an Okay player...He plays a physical game, and can score, but I do not think he will save any franchise especially Toronto.

He is playing in Russia at the moment, and he is leading his team in goals with 15 in 34 games. His point total is 21 points, not tops.

Former Leaf Igor Korolev is on his team, and has 14 points, he is unable to make an NHL team since the lockout, so I do not see Kulemin coming to the NHL, and making any waves.

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  14:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, You guys are good!!!! I didn't know all that stuff about him and just related what Dave King said on the radio. A lot of Russian players have come over for all the teams in the NHL and have been ordinary or a bust. It is hard to gauge them against our talent until they get over here. I don't think King said he was an Ovechkin type player but that he was a blue chip prospect. The word "prospect" being the operative word. How they turn out? Nobody knows until they get here in most cases. There have been some good ones like Lidstom, Zetterberg and Kaberle that just flat out surprised everybody otherwise they would have been first rounders as I have stated before. I just put this post out there to see what you fella's knew about him and I am not disappointed. Now, Guest 9254, Strallman is anything but a bust. He has all the skills but is with the Marlies learning to play the North American game. Believe me, you have not seen the last of him or Tlusty for that matter. They are both excellent young prospects who are working at getting stronger physically and at their game and will be back sooner than later. Hell, we've been winning lately without them so why rush them? Your prejudice against The Leafs is showing!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  15:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One guy will not save the team, end of story. Without being cynical, in my mind, radio stations have to start talking about young prospects to give hope to the city, and because we are all fed up of hearing of lacklustre efforts and hockey squads every single day. I don't think even King truly believes this guy is a saviour, he needs a time filler, and he gets our wheels turning inside, no more than that. I'm with Beans on this one.

No offence to King, he is a great guy and does a great job covering a team that is under par with the rest of the league.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  15:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been following his progress this season, only because all the hype is is getting, and how good he is supposed to be.

I believe he had 7 goals in his first 9 games, then he cooled off.

The Leafs wanted him in the AHL, but with no agreement with the Russians he opted to play at home.

- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  16:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The point is, he will not turn the Leafs into a better team by himself. No questions asked. Nobody has that talent, or even posibilty, except a goalie, since he is on the whole game.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  17:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

The point is, he will not turn the Leafs into a better team by himself. No questions asked. Nobody has that talent, or even posibilty, except a goalie, since he is on the whole game.

Crosby is that good. So is Iginla, Lecavalier, Thornton, Heatley, and Ovechkin. All of those guys are non goalies who instantly make a team better. Maybe not save a franchise like the Leafs. But I guarentee if you take any of those players to a team like LA, FLA, EDM, TOR, ect, they are 10 games better over a season than without them.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  17:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my mind, savior means make them win a cup. Where are the Pens and Bolts in the standings? Since when did Ottawa need a savior, without Heatley they are still a good team. Thornton is not the reason SJ is doing so well. Nabokov is a big part of that too. Calgary is not as good, but still OK without Iginla. Even with him playing amazing they have not been doing so well. Reason: Kipper

Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  20:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off his name is "Nikolai Kulemin", and the term savior does not mean that they have to win the Cup as soon as he plays for the team.

Savior means that he will be their next up and coming player, and they will be able to buid a team around him, in the very near future.

All the players that Beans mentioned are the best players, and leaders on their team, they are the "franchise player" the team is going to build around in the future.

- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  21:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasn't just radio talk. Dave King had just returned from Russia on a scouting trip and it was his own personal view point of this player. If it was just a regular radio talking head I would not of bothered with this post. I was just impressed with what he said about him having just returned from actually seeing him play in person. My thoughts were that someone might be interested in this and have some input of their own, which some of you did. I watched the video on YouTube. He looked pretty good but it was just a "highlight package" in a somewhat questionable league? Only time will tell us how he will do!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page