Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Philadelphia
 M.Richards 12 Year Extension Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ottawa Oilers
Rookie

150 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  19:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike Richards of the Philadelphia Flyers has signed a 12 year extension:

"Richards and the Flyers have agreed on a 12-year, $68.4 million contract extension, meaning Richards will be wearing black and orange through the 2019-20 season. Beginning in 2008-09, Richards will count $5.7 million against the Flyers’ salary cap. He is making $942,400 this season, the last on his three-year entry contract."

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=346538

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  14:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I think that means the Flyers really like him and want him long term. He is a great two way player and future Captain of the Flyers. Good signing, let's just hope he doesn't slow down after getting all this money!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9782
( )

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  15:50:52  Reply with Quote
I don't know, 12 years is a long time...............a lot can happen between now and then.

I hope for their sake that they made the right decision.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  16:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pro's :
1) Locked up for basically his career.
2) Cap room is easier as you know that $5.7 million is locked for 12 years.
3) Potential is enormous. If he continues to improve, he would be a top 10 player in the league for a long time.
4) If the Cap increases, and players are making $10+million a year, Richard's is still getting $5.7 million
5) The player is likely to sign a for sure contract for $68+ million. Security over rick
6) If he turns out to be gold, he will not be untradeable with a Brad Richard's type contract.

Con's:

1) The team takes all the risk. He turns out to be a bum, or gets injured, the team is stuck with the contract.

Although I am sure there are out clauses and insurances involved to protect the team a bit. In the end, it's a huge risk.

The GM either turns out to be a Genius or a complete knob. This is a job saver or a career ender for the GM.

Let's wait and see what happens.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page