Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Lemieux retiring Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  07:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we've all heard this before, but this time it MUST be for real. I don't think it's necesssary to recap his career because it speaks for itself. The only thing I'd like to add is that I wish he could have played as many games as Gretzky with his health. I think Gretzky's points records would have seriously been in jeopardy. I personally think of Lemieux as the greatest playmaker of all time.

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  09:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You make a good point Babs. I heard on the drive into work this morning that Lemieux's ppg average is 1.91 and Gretzky's is 1.92. I wonder how things would have turned out had Lemieux been on those great Oiler teams and Gretzky in Pittsburgh.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  10:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy had the softest hands in the league, maybe even softer than Marek Malik. Add in his size and he was the perfect hockey player. I do believe that if he could catch a break (health wise) he would have beat the Great One in points. But that's all a part of the game I suppose, you have to stay healthy and Gretzky did that and retired with a few years to spare.

I'll never forget watching Gretzky and Lemieux pair up in 87 for the Canada Cup. Magic baby!
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  12:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Syd the kid's got the team now. Love to be a fly on the wall for Lemieux's conversation with him.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  17:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a fly on the wall, well actually a mosquito if you want to be specific, and he said something along the lines of "Sucks to be you".
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  20:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHA!!!

I was hoping it was a little more inspriational but that's probably more like it!

:-)
Go to Top of Page

NuckH8R
Top Prospect

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  10:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sid will be OK. The team was garbage when Mario arrivced in '85 and he carried it to two Cup wins. Sid can do the same for the Portland Penguins.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  17:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lemieux also had Jagr, Francis in his prime, Recchi almost in his, a young Naslund (I think), Barrasso in his prime....Not to take away from Lemieux but Crosby is alone. Sure Malkin and Fleury will help, but not for a few years.
Go to Top of Page

NuckH8R
Top Prospect

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  09:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with you, but that was about 5 years after he arrived. Bottom line is he was still Magnificant. Seeing Crosby, Nash, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk lighting it up makes it a bit easier to lose a legend like Lemieux.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page