Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
 Grind Line
 A Tribute to Mario… Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Zoran
Top Prospect

Canada
55 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  11:01:42  Show Profile
If Bobby Orr owned the seventies, and Wayne Gretzky the eighties, then the nineties belonged to Mario Lemieux. Mario has had an amazing career and depending on which era you grew up in, he may have been the greatest hockey talent you have ever seen - we could debate this one forever.

I wanted to pay tribute to the Magnificent One and look back at some of the moments that will be etched in my memories forever.

- 1987 Canada Cup, Murphy to Gretzky to Lemieux – and Mario put it in the top corner over Tretiak’s shoulder… I still get goose bumps.

- Mario scored five goals in five different ways in one game: even-strength, power-play, short-handed, penalty shot, and an empty netter. This is definitely a record that will never be broken.

- Mario lifts Ray Bourque’s stick stealing the puck and going in on Andy Moog – Probably one of the nicest goals ever scored – again Mario went top shelf. What a shot!

- Lifting the Stanley cup in ‘92 and then again in ’93.

- The strength and courage he showed by returning to hockey after beating Hodgkin’s disease.

- Scoring in his last game against Philly before retiring for the first time in 1997.

- His return in 2000

- Mario watches that pass go through his legs to Paul Kariya who received it perfectly and scored at the 2002 Olympics.

Au Revoir Mario, you will be missed.

Have an opinion on George's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute articles on a regular basis drop us an email. admin@pickuphockey.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page