Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Buffalo
 Buffalo! Get your act together!!!! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  15:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been announced today that Brian Campbell has rejected a contract extension. At the end of the season he will be a UFA. So it would make sense for them to actually trade him away and get something in return. So in the past year they've lost their top 2 center's, and will most likeley lose their two time All Star Defenceman. The good news is if they trade Campbell they will get prospects or a draft pick. But I don't see why Buffalo should be trading in the first place. They win 3 straight games they're back in the playoffs, that's how close it is. It's just making me mad when Buffalo waited a long time to get some good players and a good team, they have one good year and then some stupid GM calls and they're going back down hill. They went from winning the President's to maybe not making the playoffs. The worst of it all though is the Vanek situation. The Edmonton Oilers made Buffalo start paying him 10 million $ a year. If the Sabres would have rejected that they would have got 4(Not 10, Stupid PainTrain!) first round draft picks in the next 5 years. Why wouldn't you take that!? You could win the Stanley cup for sure with 10 first rounders in your line up. And with 4 first rounders you can trade some of them and get two proven players who are in their prime at the moment. I don't see why they didn't reject him and let the Oilers pay 10 million a year on him.

Regardless, Darcy Regier has to decide, go for the cup, or go for the cup in 6 years. He could easily send Campbell away and get some prospects and draft picks. Then they just start rebuilding again. As of now, they need to decide, either way I'd be happy .

What do you guys think? What should Buffalo do? What did Buffalo do wrong? Are they going the right way or the wrong way?

Edited by - PainTrain on 01/15/2008 18:14:29

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  16:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say thank you Paintrain for a post about a team other than the Leafs.
I'll try and get back to this and comment about your questions too.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  16:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PainTrain this is simply, yet extremely well-written.
You have to stop and think, what is going through the GM's mind? Is he getting pressure from above to make salary cuts because Buffalo is primarily a business and secondarily a hockey franchise? It seems more logical than trying to get a team of prospects for the prospects you have that finally matured into the guys that lead to your President's Trophy.

And the number one reason I enjoyed reading this? It is a good argument, in my mind a winning argument, as to a hockey city having more trouble than Toronto.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  17:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo Pain, a little clarification for you. If the Sabres didn't match Vanek's offer sheet, they would have gotten 4-1st round picks in return, not 10.

And at the time, they could not afford to lose another star player. Vanek came off a 40 goal season. They lost Drury and Briere, and no way 4 draft picks are as valuable as those three players. They made a stand, can't really blame them for it.

Buffalo has stated they will not put Campbell on the market. I would think that means there is hope in signing him.

Let's not forget that the woes of the Sabres go much deeper than Vanek and Campbell. Consider the fact that they lost their 1st, 3rd, and 7th leading scorer and really didn't have anything to replace them with. Couple this with the fact that of the 22 players who played both this year and last year, 13 of them have had a drop in PPG production. Those other 9 players have stayed the same or increased, but only marginally.

I personally think the Sabres as an organization are fine. This year, maybe not a banner year, but they are not in trouble like the Leafs or anything. And Alex, you can't be serious?? No one is having more trouble than the Leafs. No one.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  18:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the clarification Beans. Four first rounders would make more sense. But regardless. It's just frustrating as a loyal fan to see the team do so well in one season then the next do not so good. If they can keep Campbell it's a great start. He still has a good 5 years in him. I just would like someone to tell me if they're going the right way? Personally I don't think they are, mainly on the fact that they're prospects are not in my mind going to be any big turn around. They have Roy,Pomminville,Connolley(When Healthy), Paetsh, Stafford and Paille as good young players. But where else from there? As of now they don't seem to have a contending team unless they can pull the brilliance in the 1999 playoffs excluding the whole losing part in O.T. I'm just a little confused of where the Sabres are going.

So if you guys could answer some of my questions in my first post it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Edited by - PainTrain on 01/15/2008 18:12:33
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  20:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Buffalo had no choice but sign Vanek. As previously mentioned they already let their heart and soul slip away (Drury/Briere). How would the Buffalo faithful reacted to letting Vanek move on to greener pastures? In the case of Cambell however by him not signing an extension he's basically saying this will be his last season with the Sabres. The orgainzation would be foolish not to attempt to get somthing in return for a player who is going to play else where next year anyhow.

Now, as far as these moves being financially motivated goes....do a little digging and find out how much a team can make for each playoff home game. It is insane. Not to mention that a winning, successeful hockey team sells more merchandise, draws more fans, makes more money.....I'm just saying....
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  21:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I am starting to become suspicious that these players that are jumping ship just plain and simply want out of there. I have no idea why this is but what other reason can one assume for it? Is it Lindy, maybe pushing them too hard? Is it the area, Buffalo is one of the worst snow belts? Is it the lack of notoriety that Buffalo gets compared to some other hockey markets? Is it just a coincidence? This is a real shame because this team had all the ear marks of a Stanley Cup contender a short year ago and are now fighting to simply get a playoff spot. My one observation might be that the Sabres had the perfect team coming out of the lockout in order to be sucessful in the new NHL. They had a very manageable payroll with a real strong group of smallish, skilled and fast forwards along with a coach who had, even before the lockout, coached an up tempo trapping style of hockey that is so popular in the league today. In other words they got a good jump on allot of other clubs and also capitalized on a strong powerplay with their quick forwards. If you recall, after the lockout, there was a plethora of penalities being called. SImply put, I think with the loss of key players and the rest of the teams playing a like system and a settling down by the refs, the Sabres are having a little more of a difficult time of it?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4442
( )

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  23:03:23  Reply with Quote
$10 million...serves Buffalo right as far as I am concerned. Management dilly-dallied throughout last season and then got severely burned for not being proactive with their players.

I found the offer sheet quite amusing, If they would have moved sooner they could have had Vanek for a much more realistic 4-6 million per year. They were so concerned with the "bottom line" last season (and not about all the good vibes and momentum) that they "reacted" and now they are saddled with an underachieving team.

Vanek is being paid more than Ovechkin will get and producing more like Jason Blake. Oh well best wishes to Vanek, he is talented and I am sure he will bounce back in future seasons.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4442
( )

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  23:05:51  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I believe Buffalo had no choice but sign Vanek. As previously mentioned they already let their heart and soul slip away (Drury/Briere). How would the Buffalo faithful reacted to letting Vanek move on to greener pastures? In the case of Cambell however by him not signing an extension he's basically saying this will be his last season with the Sabres. The orgainzation would be foolish not to attempt to get somthing in return for a player who is going to play else where next year anyhow.

Now, as far as these moves being financially motivated goes....do a little digging and find out how much a team can make for each playoff home game. It is insane. Not to mention that a winning, successeful hockey team sells more merchandise, draws more fans, makes more money.....I'm just saying....

Your last point explains it perfectly and perfectly relates to the point I made about momentum and good vibes.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  08:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Buffalo is in a very similar position to Edmonton a few years ago. They went to the Cup Finals, then in the off season the lost Peca, Pronger, Spacek, and Samsanov(who played quite well in Edmonton actually). They, in turn, didn't make the play offs the next season.

However, as a fan, you can't really blame anything on the team. They tried to sign Spacek, he wanted to leave. They got what they could for Pronger, and as I said in a previous post, they turned that into Pitkanen, Penner, and a draft pick. Not too shabby. In the end, as an Edmonton fan, they rebounded as well as they could considering the players they lost and they started an immediate rebuild.

That is the part that Buffalo maybe missed the boat on a little. The do have a fine core of young players, so they are not in huge trouble. But, they are maybe not looking so good long term.

And the guy who brought up the point on Buffalo dragging their heels on signing Vanek was dead on. In the header of this forum, the comment was "Edmonton made Buffalo start paying him $10 million." Edmonton did nothing of the sort. If Buffalo would have been on the ball, they could have signed him before he became an RFA. That's Buffalo's problem, not Edmonton.

As my final note on this, I recall a poll last year of NHL players who were asked the question of what team would you not want to play for. If I recall, Buffalo and Edmonton were #1 and #2. Can't remember who was in what spot, but it doesn't matter. If that is the case, Buffalo might not have much of a chance in the FA market. Proof of that is Drury. He was offered more money by Buffalo to stay, but chose to leave to a team that faired worse than Buffalo the year before?? Interesting.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  14:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems Buffalo might have listened to my anger. Right now they hold the 8th spot in the Eastern Conference. They've really been playing as a team which is great to watch. They might actually be buyers at the trade deadline.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page