Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Anaheim
 Selanne is Back! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  14:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Selanne signed a one year deal with the Anaheim Ducks.

Is this a good signing for the Ducks?

Choices:

Edited by - PainTrain on 01/28/2008 14:23:46

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  14:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For more information.
http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=351531
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  16:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's obviously a good signing. But I still don't think it's cup #2.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  16:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anaheim was a very tough team to beat last year. This year, with the virtually the same team, minus MacDonald plus Weight, plus Schnieder, plus Bertuzzi(who is producing as of late), and Getlaf and Perry All Star calibre player?? Touger to beat. If Selanne is anywhere near form, he should be good for 25 points before the playoffs.

This will make an already dangerous team even more dangerous. Anaheim has been warming up since Neidermayer came back. Without Niedermayer, 15-15-4, with Niedermayer, 12-5-2. Also remember they have(along with Dallas) the least amout of games left to play, so the schedule shouldn't be too tough for the old guys.

They are currently 6th in the league, and I would be surprised if they don't finish top 3 and maybe even catch Detoit. Not really likely, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Another thing is that while other teams are working at the trade deadline, Anaheim will be playing. What do they need?? On paper they have every position filled very well. So they can just play hockey.

I am thinking Detroit is not so comfortable any more.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  17:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Salanne only had forty some odd goals last year. What a great boost for the Ducks. They should repeat if the hunger is still there and barring injuries of course. Andy McDonald's speed was a big factor throughout the playoffs last year but I think they should be alright now that Selanne is back.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  20:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans I like what you wrote, although A) I think the loss of McDonald for Weight without any other factors i.e. being able to afford Niedermayer, is bad for the Anaheim offense. Though I agree they should be better this year than last.

And I do not see why Detroit should be any less comfortable now than ever before?

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  20:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Four questions to throw out:

Did Neid's return have anything to do with it?
Do their standings play a part?
Where will he play?
Is it a second cup?

In my mind, yes, yes, I do not know and the chances are with them.

Edited by - Alex on 01/28/2008 20:14:40
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  20:58:42  Reply with Quote
Alex answers to your questions:

1) Yes, Im sure Niedermayer had some conversations with Selanne convincing him to come back, was it all Nieds? No, Was he a factor? Yes.

2) Yes, If the Ducks were 10th in the West fighting to get into the playoffs I HIGHLY doubt Selanne would have came back, I think the top reason is he wants to win the cup again.

3) Duck's Lines Pre Selanne -

Bertuzzi - Getzlaf - Perry
Kunitz - Weight - Marchant
Moen - Carter - R.Niedermayer
May - Sutherby - Parros

Subs - Pahlsson and Bochenski

Duck's Lines Post Selanne -

Bertuzzi - Getzlaf - Perry
Kunitz - Weight - Marchant Selanne
Moen - Carter Marchant - R.Niedermayer
May - Sutherby - Parros

Subs - Pahlsson, Bochenski and Carter

4) No, I TRULY think this is Detroit's year, They are 12 POINTS ahead of #2 in the league, That's huge. They have solid and veteran goaltenders who can perform when relied upon and hey that can't be too hard when your team is only allowing 21- 24 shots on average. They have lots of offensive weapons : Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, also Hudler, Cleary and Samuelsson have really picked it up this year.

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  16:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I am a little biased when I say I want to say another Ducks cup. But would it not be the first time since 91-92 92-93 Pens?

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  16:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detroit won back to back in 96/97 and 97/98.

Also Alex, I disagree that Weight is a step down in regards to MacDonald. The only think MacDonald has on Weight is speed. Weight is a far better playmaker and will do awesome with Selanne, if that's the line and I suspect it will be.

Detroit's year?? Perhaps. They have all the tools, but how many times have they won the President's Cup and not won the Stanley Cup. Since 95 Detroit has lead the league in points through the regular season 5 times and only won one Cup of those 5 years.

I would not be betting against either Anaheim or Detroit right now. I would love to see those team in the West Final this year.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  00:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weight adds toughness, leadership and experiance that MacDonald just doesn't have....No matter how it plays out I can't see any one in the east beating the Wings, Ducks, or Sharks to be perfectly honest.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  05:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Beans (once again) on this one - I think Detroit is pissed right now, because line for line, the Ducks match up very, very well.

In the new NHL, this is a great chance for a repeat, and Anaheim is my new pick to win it all this year. In my mind, they will have a better team than last year, especially when you figure in the experience of winning it all, and what that takes. And a well rested Selanne with Weight and Kunitz on the SECOND LINE? Yikes.

Here's the test - see if Detroit makes a move before the deadline to shore up on some grit/defence/scoring. I bet you they do . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  15:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sticking to what I posted in an earlier topic, the Habs are getting scary. I have seen this before, more than once, with them. I am picking Anaheim to win but I have very strong premonitions regarding them Habs

Edited by - Antroman on 01/30/2008 18:57:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page