Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Pro Athletes & Sports Betting Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  22:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! How's that for a black eye for hockey? Coyotes assistant coach Rick Tocchet was just implicated as the financier of a big sports betting and money laundering ring.

Check out the news piece on this site for more info: http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=h020813A

Now as I understand it, the betting it is not related to hockey. Thankfully. But it raises an interesting question. Should pro athletes be allowed to bet on ANY sport?

Personally I don't think so for a couple reasons:

1) Public perception - The league doesn't want to tarnish its image by having people wonder what sport that particular pro athlete is really betting on.
2) Sports athletes hang out with other sports athletes; basketball, football etc. It is not uncommon to see them together. They understand each other and like minds are drawn together. What is to stop them from either a) having their buddies bet on a game they are involved in so they can throw it and visa versa or b) trade insider information to give their sports colleagues an unfair advantage?

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  23:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your conspiracy theory is a bit fo a stretch for me. Let them bet on other sports just not their own.

GO FLAMES!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  07:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree with you Ripley. But I'm sure there are some players out there who've bought a Pro-line before, just for the hell of it. I think though that they should be able to bet on other sports, with constraints but I don't think that they should be allowed to do it freely, because that's where problems arise. Why shouldn't any regular athlete in the NHL not be able to put a few bucks down with his buddies or whatever on the NFL game on Sunday, or the NBA or MLB game being played? I say crack down on it, still letting them have the right to. Coming with this though should be a stricter punishment for those who violate the guidelines.

Sucks to the Embers, go Sharks!
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is gambling OK when the government gets their cut, but when they don't profit - its illegal? A government run sports book is OK but a Tocchet run sports book is not? And who cares if some players bet on football. As long as its not on hockey it shouldn't matter.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  23:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Ripley. No pro athlete should bet on any sport. period. You end up in situations like this. Sure Tocchet just bet on "football" but we're always going to wonder if it was hockey too. And like he says, they are always going to have an advantage over the "everyday" guy because they are more apt to have insider information. Why not just make it a blanket rule and say no betting on any sport.

It's not like they need the money.
Go to Top of Page

goon
Rookie

Canada
113 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  09:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now we hear names like Tkachuk, Leclair, Roenick, and Recchi are involved. This could get really ugly for the NHL.

It is a little much to say athletes shouldn't be able to bet on sports. As long as it is not on their sport then what's the big deal?
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  17:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you guys blind? The big deal is going down right now. I'm sure that these guys only bet on other sports but people are speculating and it is a black mark on not only the individuals but the sport itself. Just say no to sports betting and we wouldn't be in this situation. It's not like we're saying don't play cards. Who cares about that! Just don't give yourself or others the perception of having or providing an unfair advantage over others.

Now I hope as much as the next guy that these guys played within the rules but people will speculate forever because it was permitted.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  09:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I can see your point Ripley. It can be compared to insider trading in a way, and in the media you are guilty till proved innocent.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page