Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 EA Sports vs 2K Sports Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  06:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
This questions came to me and I thought I would throw it out there.

In regards to the NHL hockey game produced by both companies, which is better and why???

Choices:

EA SPORTS
2K SPORTS

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  06:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have every EA Sports NHL game for the past 5 years or so. I like the game play, but in all honestly, when moving from one level to the next, the only difference is that your goalie plays worse the harder the level is. I hate that. The games turn out to be like 8-6 outcomes and are totally unrealistic. I can fairly easily go undefeated through a season on any difficultly level.

I have the plast 3 2K Sports NHL games. 2K has the entire game increase in difficulty as the levels move up. At the higher levels it actually quite tough to beat. The franchise mode on 2K is also much more detailed and you have to think about way more things. The stats tracking in 2K is better as well. The couple of knocks I have on 2K is that is is way to easy to hit the other team and the computer trades way too often and makes really unrealistic trades.

In the end, 2K is a simulation of the NHL when you include the stats and the GM parts of the game. If I want to play more as a GM, I play 2K. If I want to just play around, more like an arcade game, I will play EA Sports.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  07:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What both of them are lacking is the reality aspect. Now, many of us gamers go on and try to blowout teams 10-0, go undefeated seasons, break records, win fifteen consecutive cups, have an overall of 99...

Not me.

I play with my Habs in NHL'05 and through two seasons I have only traded Ribeiro, Dackel and Huet, and picked up Osgood, signed Palffy (exchange for Ribeiro) and Kotalik (for Dackel) and Van Ryn (for Huet and a fourth rounder).

I do not plan on trading for at least two more seasons. My team is 63 percent when it comes to winning. We have the fewest goals for, but also the fewest goals against. We have won the Jennings trophy two consecutive seasons and the Vezina once. I was a first round knockout in the playoffs though, falling to the eight seed Rangers, because of injuries to Souray and Koivu. My games almost see more than five goals (combined between the two teams).

I am truly building a franchise and I love it.

Meanwhile though, around me, Lemieux is on the Sharks, Zetterberg on the 'Canes, McCabe on the Sens, Sundin on the Oil, Thornton out in L.A.

I get trade offers where they expect me to dish off both co-captains (Pallfy and Koivu) in one click.

My team sits in 23rd at profit ranking. Who is in first? Detroit, and just behind them are Nashville and Colorado.

This is the part of the game that slightly annoys me.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  07:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have NHL 08 for PS3 and it is amazing. Very realistic.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  10:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

I have NHL 08 for PS3 and it is amazing. Very realistic.

I have it for PS2 and it is simply sensational! I love it!

I would have to disagree completely with you Alex by going on the record and saying that NHL 06, 07, and 08 for PS2 are all the exact same game but merely different rosters and new jerseys.
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  10:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

What both of them are lacking is the reality aspect. Now, many of us gamers go on and try to blowout teams 10-0, go undefeated seasons, break records, win fifteen consecutive cups, have an overall of 99...

Not me.

Don't make such quick judgements. I hate blowing out teams, in fact I enjoy losing games, it makes it seem more real. My seasons are very similar to yours in terms of trophies/stats, I try to have four well balanced lines, not a 90+ on the fourth lines.

So true about the goaltender's on EA though beans, The shot counts are often heavily favoured to me (30-10 for example) and it isn't uncommon for my goaltender to let in two to three goals. I usually try to get the computer to take long, or outside shots just by cutting them down with my dmen. Another thing about EA is when the computer has a breakaway they always just stand in front of the goalie and do nothing until he gets pokechecked or hit.

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  12:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Ea Sports so much better
I think everythign is just more related to the game
I have all the games from like the past 5 years,
I simply love themm,
I am not stupid and trade to get like Crosby Modano, Sakic all thse players,
I play dynasty, with cap space and signings and stuff,
to make it challenging,

the only thing they need to improve are 3 things:

1. Fans
On the PS2 the fans are 1d pieces of black lines,
the stand up and clap whenever they want, and they all wear the same clothes, and do the exact same things every time. that is a major flaw.

2. Commentating
This is a major issue,
the commentating is very poor.
I find it choppy,
for instance, if someone scores, the commentator would say the name in a very high fast voice, then would go slowly, like "SAKIC, has been doing great" I dont know if you understand what I am gettin at, but that really pisses me off

3. Fighting
I think the biggest improvement could be made here,
the fighting is absolutly garbage.
it is boring,
you get in a fight, and you just punch around smashing buttons for a bout 45 seconds until someone goes down.
I think you should be able to do lots more,
like grab the jersey, skate around, fake punches, stuff like that
and the biggest thing, is i think there could also be line brawls, where everyone gets in a scrum, and people would be fighitng, and slowly braking up, and you can press X to switch players and fight someone else.
Another thing, I think you should be able to start fights after the wistle, where most fights usually start, like if someone rushes the goalie, you should be able to cross-check them, then initiate a fight, and then everyone get involved,
that would make fighting a whole lot more excitring i belive.

fix those things up and you got one hell of a game.

~~~GO STARS~~~
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  14:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have all EA hockey games since 94, on different consoles. Bought a Play Station 3 just for 2008. lol

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  14:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have NHL 08 for playstation 3 and want to make a league?

I had made a post while back asking this, but no replys.

If so, let's do it. We can set some guidelines. a team can only be used once, etc. :)

Irvine

Edited by - irvine on 02/17/2008 14:13:43
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  17:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

I like the Ea Sports so much better
I think everythign is just more related to the game
I have all the games from like the past 5 years,
I simply love themm,
I am not stupid and trade to get like Crosby Modano, Sakic all thse players,
I play dynasty, with cap space and signings and stuff,
to make it challenging,

the only thing they need to improve are 3 things:

1. Fans
On the PS2 the fans are 1d pieces of black lines,
the stand up and clap whenever they want, and they all wear the same clothes, and do the exact same things every time. that is a major flaw.

2. Commentating
This is a major issue,
the commentating is very poor.
I find it choppy,
for instance, if someone scores, the commentator would say the name in a very high fast voice, then would go slowly, like "SAKIC, has been doing great" I dont know if you understand what I am gettin at, but that really pisses me off

3. Fighting
it is boring,
you get in a fight, and you just punch around smashing buttons for a bout 45 seconds until someone goes down.
like grab the jersey, skate around, fake punches, stuff like that
and the biggest thing, is i think there could also be line brawls, where everyone gets in a scrum, and people would be fighitng, and slowly braking up, and you can press X to switch players and fight someone else.
Another thing, I think you should be able to start fights after the wistle, where most fights usually start, like if someone rushes the goalie, you should be able to cross-check them, then initiate a fight, and then everyone get involved,
that would make fighting a whole lot more excitring i belive.

fix those things up and you got one hell of a game.

~~~GO STARS~~~

Go Stars
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  17:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ignore last post. Anyway I agree with Semin Rules there should be after the whistle brawls it would make the game alot better. I also heard that EA will make a NHL game for the Nintendo Wii. Just wondering if you guys think that will be a hit.

Go Stars
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  18:42:51  Reply with Quote
Eversingle thing about EA to mea is better. Except for one this, The draft. In 2K8 you can pick up about a 88 overall player with the 1st overall pick where in 08 you can get a t best a 70.
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  12:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8815

Eversingle thing about EA to mea is better. Except for one this, The draft. In 2K8 you can pick up about a 88 overall player with the 1st overall pick where in 08 you can get a t best a 70.

That bugs me too, but in NHL 07 I started a swedish elite league dynasty, after my first year i finished second in the 12 team league, and my 2nd round pick was a 74, my first round a 73, and in the third round a 70 overall goalie. the second rounder made my third line, and is currently first in league scoring, I'm very happy about it.

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  12:11:17  Reply with Quote
Really? I trade for the 1st overall pick (forget waht) and I believe I got a 70 who made my 3rd line and after 2 seasons he is now a 72, still in the same spot...
Go to Top of Page

Guest0030
( )

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  12:14:42  Reply with Quote
When it comes to consoles, I will play either 2K or EA provided it's againts a real opponent using default teams. I don't ever play against the AI anymore because the AI is predictable and whatever the designers say, the game cheats when it's in a bind or the goalies get really really stupid.

I don't like how they deal with the game aspect of the franchises.

If I want to run a team, I play Eastside Hockey Manager for PC which is a hockey simulator.

Go Leafs! (Right into the tank hopefully) :)
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  12:20:59  Reply with Quote
0030 you're in EHM? Me too. What team are you?
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  13:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is a great game! I was into that for like 4 months of my life non-stop. It was horrible, my life almost revolved around it. Thankfully the trial ended and I figured I wouldn't pay up and I haven't played it since. One thing I don't like so much about it is that it doesn't give a player an overall stat.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2919
( )

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  13:26:04  Reply with Quote
i dont know how you can say the 08 is a "arcade" style of game. the gameplay simply outranks that of 2K8 and with the new skating engine included coupled with the vastly improved skill stick, 08 destroys 2k8 in gameplay.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  14:29:42  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shinnyafterschool

quote:

That is a great game! I was into that for like 4 months of my life non-stop. It was horrible, my life almost revolved around it. Thankfully the trial ended and I figured I wouldn't pay up and I haven't played it since. One thing I don't like so much about it is that it doesn't give a player an overall stat.

I think we might be talking about different things. Is it http://z15.invisionfree.com/EHMDynastySimLeague/index.php? ? Because it is a Sim league that is free and uses EHM software.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  14:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liek EA Sports

i have NHL 08(PS3,PS2)
NHL 07
NHL 06
NHL 05
NHL 01
NHL 99
NHL 98

-Red Wings GM

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  15:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by shinnyafterschool

[quote]Originally posted by Guest8815

I think we might be talking about different things. Is it http://z15.invisionfree.com/EHMDynastySimLeague/index.php? ? Because it is a Sim league that is free and uses EHM software.

Yeah, I think we are, I downloaded the software from www.eastsidehockeymanager.net gave you a 120 day trial or something like that

"Desire is the most important factor in the success of any athlete. "
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  15:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

If so, let's do it. We can set some guidelines. a team can only be used once, etc. :)

Irvine

Yea, I'm in this. What is the league called and when will it be started up. And btw, Irvine is your EA Server down. Mine is.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  11:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Irvine

Yea, I'm in this. What is the league called and when will it be started up. And btw, Irvine is your EA Server down. Mine is.

I will set a league and password up when I get home from work tonight. We'll try to get like atleast 6 players.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  13:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Irvine

I will set a league and password up when I get home from work tonight. We'll try to get like atleast 6 players.

Irvine

Looking forwards to it. Tell me what the league name is an ill join.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  21:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is all set up Leafsfan, the league is XNHL.

But, I don't want the password open, have an email i can send it to?

Anyone else wanting it, please ask and I will send.

Max # of teams/players: 8

Teams in use:
Pittsburgh -- irvine

All other teams are open as of right now.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  04:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya Irvine, you can send it to me at dvmarino@yahoo.ca. I'll sign up after school. I'll be the Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

kingwoody2
Top Prospect

72 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  06:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans: I would have to disagree with you and say that the 2K series is more arcadey than EA. Both are good games but I prefer EA over 2K. I was playing 2k6 over NHL07. I haven't tried 2k8 yet though

I am playing NHL 08 on xbox 360 right now and it is probably the best version of NHL yet. I am the Devils with only 2 trades made. Traded my 1st round pick for Sundin and traded somebody for Marek Zidlicky. I am first in the league at 25-4 with Sundin leading the league in scoring but only by 2 points.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  09:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a seperate note, how amazing is the music in the EA games?! When I'm sick and tired of hearing the songs played over and over again, I YouTube the soundtrack to EA Sports NHL 200_ and listen away.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  11:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might be the system I am using. I am too cheap to buy a PS 3 or an XBox, so I am still on PS 2.

Althought he game play from both EA and 2K have been basically the same for at least the past 3 years, I think the outside gameplay portion of 2K is better.

Practices
Better Trade Balance
Better Salary Cap
More Comparable trades

And, most of all, the computer makes the entire opposing team better as you raise the difficulty. In EA, as the level gets more difficult, the only thing I find is that your goalie gets worse.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6546
( )

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  07:51:15  Reply with Quote
EA SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All they ever make is mindless arcade games doing the same thing over and over and over again.

Good for mindless people who like easy shallow games.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4607
( )

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  21:38:47  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have gotten a 92 overall player in an 08 draft
Go to Top of Page

Guest0691
( )

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  13:53:53  Reply with Quote
what kind of a meat head thinsk that ea is arcade and 2k is simulation.
it quite cleary says that 2k is an arcade style game right on the back the case.

EA sports has done the greatest job at making a simulation of nhl hockey.

and if anyone thinks that the goalies play like s***, well turn it up to superstar, dont do the exact same move every time to score(mix it up) and dont spend your life trying to find ways to win 10-0 every game.
this is exatly why there are game settings. make your shooting accuracy and speed lower and make the goalies better. its that easy to make an game more difficult.

so quityourbitchen!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8854
( )

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  18:15:02  Reply with Quote
I first start off stating that I have played every EA Hockey game that's been made.....NHLPA hockey for the genesis to 08 for the 360...tried some 2k games...blah nothing special.....I was getting quite bored with the series after 96/97...95 was awful/96 blew goats...that's when 94 took over until 2000..
gave up on the franchise...everything was mediocre until I played 07 for the xbox...loved the stick....but hated the AI...

I had a dilemma
I could play with a joystick as my stick (EA) or I can shoot with my button(2k)...I was a fan of the gameplay of 2k7...but I have been shooting this puck with a button for 15 years...no thanks

08 for xbox is now my favorite hockey game of all time...easily

Hearing someone say they finished the season undefeated in superstar or All Star shocks me...
I truly believe the AI won't allow it...ps2 maybe different
the difference between difficulty in 07 and 08...is apples and oranges
and for me the biggest upgrade EA has EVER introduced

future looks bright for EA hockey
for the next one I hope they update the rosters for NHL1994 and have it as a bonus game/DLC...same game nothing changed just the rosters...add franchise mode to it
I would have a hard time deciding which one to play
Go to Top of Page

Guest6549
( )

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  11:00:42  Reply with Quote
Thats right, the biggest EA upgrade was from 07 to 08, why? because nhl07 was so shallow pretty much next to nothing when it came to defensive play or defensive TOOLS, just back and forth run and gun , shoot and score on super easy goalies which took absolutely no skill or thought whatsoever.

08 is still shallow as ever, and arcade. Pin to pin passing all the time and the famous ARCADE SPIN O RAMMA ON A DIME. And rocket booster shots the bang of the post repeatedly, wow, so amazing.

Yeah, real sim, real authentic, yeah real hockey LOL
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  12:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love NHL08 but I have to say I am sick of losing to guys online who spend the entire game performing the same shot over and over. Skating across the blue line then cutting across laterally with a wrist shot to the opposite corner. Works virtually every time, whether from the hash marks or at the blue line. I can't propose a way to correct this but it's very frustrating to play in these games with guys who know nothing about hockey but know how to exploit a game. There's no fun in it.

I do like the much improved goaltender movement in simple cross-crease stops and basic dekes but I don't like how sometimes with one or two dekes you can cause a goalie to dive across the crease. I think goalies need to have a little more composure in the net. I've never seen a goalie jump across like that on a deke, except when Datsyuk does his Datsyukian deke , which I've never seen in a video game.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 05/04/2008 12:35:55
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  11:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
3. Fighting
it is boring,
like grab the jersey, skate around, fake punches, stuff like that. Another thing, I think you should be able to start fights after the whistle, where most fights usually start, like if someone rushes the goalie, you should be able to cross-check them, then initiate a fight, and then everyone get involved,
that would make fighting a whole lot more excitring i believe.

NHL 11 has made your wish come true in this department. I love how you can get into scrums after the whistle by shooting at the goalie or just taunting a guy. The actual fighting has improved quite a bit. I am for sure pro EA when it comes to hockey and really most sports games.

The EA Sports Ultimate Hockey League is great, it's like collecting hockey cards but they are the players on your team and there is so much you can do in that league.

There are so many improvements to list but a few I love are the all new hip checks, breaking your stick and needing to get to the bench to get a new one or have a teammate give you his, kicks butt that they have the WHL, OHL, QMJHL in it, and I know you could do it NHL 10 but I think it's awesome you can put your own music in the game and choose what song your team comes out to, when a goal is scored, penaties, etc.

I buy the EA Sports NHL games once every two years as I find they don't change enough from year to year (other than rosters). So my last one was NHL 09 and I have to say NHL 11 blows that out of the water.

"When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page