Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Brian Campbell to the Sharks Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  09:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian Campbell just got traded to the Sharks for Steve Bernier and a first round draft pick. Does this give the Sharks an edge going into the playoffs?

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

Edited by - ThorntonisTHEMAN on 02/26/2008 12:00:26

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  09:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sharks have definitely improved on the back end. This is a great improvement for the Sharks, and their run for the Cup.

[img]http://www.maldesigns.ca/top%2050%20since%201967%20banner.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  09:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for sure! add another solid defenceman! and a lot of scoring depth with Campbell! I just hope they can sign him again in the offseason!

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  10:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what they are saying on the sports shows is that Campbell, and Thornton are good friends, and play summer hockey together. There is a good possibility that he would sign with San Jose...

[img]http://www.maldesigns.ca/top%2050%20since%201967%20banner.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  10:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright! having Thornton might pay off once again for the Sharks!

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  12:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff! Another d-man who can log some serious icetime and a significant point increase. Tough to lose a first rounder but the sharks aren't exactly in rebuilding mode so they need to think about NOW rather than the future. I like the trade.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  12:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya, it is tough to lose the first rounder but the Sharks have so much good young talent that they can get away with it this year! Especially for a topnotch defenceman!

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  07:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hopefully Thornton can convince him to stay. But if he doesn't, that Sharks still have a lot of cap room in the offseason to make a run at a Hossa or someone.

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  10:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug WIlson says that he is doesn't believe in the rent-a-player system and is planning on trying very hard to resign Campbell. It wouldn't surprise me if he stays in San Jose

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  10:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a pretty fair trade in my mind. Coming from a Sabres fan. Getting a young power forward and a first round pick will help us a lot. Campbell will help San Jose a TON. Especially on that PP. Great all around trade. I still think Buffalo can notch that 8th seed.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  12:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know that he'll be talking with Buffalo after the season. Even when he was on Buffalo, he was talking about testing free agency at the end of the year. I sooner see him staying in San Jose than going back to Buffalo

quote:
Originally posted by Alex

quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

Doug WIlson says that he is doesn't believe in the rent-a-player system and is planning on trying very hard to resign Campbell. It wouldn't surprise me if he stays in San Jose

Brett Hull.

He can try all he wants, at the end of the day it is Brian's decision. I think, if San Jose wins, he may stay, but if they disappoint, then he may resume talks with Buffalo. If they do not give him what he wants, look for him to go through the same story all over again.

Habs get number 25 this year

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  13:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this trade helps the Sharks... however, it doesnt address their #1 concern, and that is putting pucks in the net!!

They are a strong team with great team-defence (one of the lowest goals against in the league), however their offence is anemic, *especially* for a team with so much offensive talent! They need to learn how to score to do something in the playoffs... so far.. they havent shown much.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  13:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your crazy!!!!! lol no, actually i am pretty near positive that he was talking about testing free agency before he got traded. That was part of the reason that Buffalo traded him.

quote:

Call me crazy (I may be! ) but I am pretty sure he said he might test free agency upon recieving the news that he got shipped to San Jose.

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  13:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Campbell has 43 points this year. That should help their offence. Not to mention that he can quarterback their powerplay now. Their powerplay is not good right now, but if they can get it going, and i think they can with Campbell, it will translate into wins.

quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

Yes, this trade helps the Sharks... however, it doesnt address their #1 concern, and that is putting pucks in the net!!

They are a strong team with great team-defence (one of the lowest goals against in the league), however their offence is anemic, *especially* for a team with so much offensive talent! They need to learn how to score to do something in the playoffs... so far.. they havent shown much.

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  20:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buffalo is starting to like the trade. Bernier with two goals and one assist in his Sabre debut.

"If I'm down a goal late in the game, I want Orr on the ice. If I'm up a goal late in he game, Bouque's the one I want out there." - GM Harry Sinden, talking about having the two best defeceman on the same team.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  06:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both players really helped their teams last night! Bernier adds some extra grit to Buffalo's lineup which they really need. and he has great potential. Campbell has already helped the Sharks powerplay it would seem, as they scored 2 powerplay goals.

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  14:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN[/i]
[br]Your crazy!!!!! lol no, actually i am pretty near positive that he was talking about testing free agency before he got traded. That was part of the reason that Buffalo traded him.

quote:

Call me crazy (I may be! ) but I am pretty sure he said he might test free agency upon recieving the news that he got shipped to San Jose.

Brett Hull.

Alex, I apologize. You were right, Campbell did say that he was thinking about testing free agency when he heard he got traded. I hope you accept my humblest apology and I will try to get my facts straight next time.

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page