Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Great Debate- Comments Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  19:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Updated Bracket:

Paintrain
99pickles(advancing)

OILINONTARIO
Leafs Rock Planet

Leafsfan_101 (advancing)
Alex

SuperSakic
Beans15

**WILDCARD**
Paintrain
Alex

Okay, this takes out 4 spots with Keith, Bleeding Blue and White, Brad and Ethan. So the above is updated. I also had an idea of adding a "wildcard' spot, with Alex and Paintrain filling up that matchup. Both (well Paintrain) had a raw deal and I think hey should have a second chance.

So the above is the updated matchups.

OIL & LRP are going to be debating on the idea of bigger nets and SuperSakic & Beans will be doing a debate about if fighting still has a spot in hockey. All of this is, of course, pending that both sides like the topic and both feel comfortable debating the opposite side of their opponent.

The Wildcard Debate will feature Paintrain and Alex and will be about.....The NHL's Economic Model. Have fun and tell me what you all think.

Edited by - leafsfan_101 on 04/22/2008 12:42:35
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  19:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No ways my thirteen years will be enough to carry me through that! I hardly understand what the topic means!

I lost my debate. If you want to put me back in, believe me I am raring to go, having learned a lot from the Crosby vs. Ovechkin one! But I can't do that topic.

If you are willing to change the topic I would greatly appreciate If not, then count me out for this one...

EDIT: Ideas for debates

Salary Cap
New NHL Schedule
Two line pass
All Star Game: new vs. old (Skills competition, at least one guy from every team...)
Instigators: Do they have a place in hockey?
Gretzky vs. Lemieux / Roy vs. Brodeur / Oilers of 80s vs Habs of 70s vs Islanders of 80s

Edited by - Alex on 04/22/2008 18:24:30
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  20:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be willing to argue the economic model with a little more detail to the question. Are you talking about the CBA/Salary Cap model to attempt to keep parity in the league or are you talking about the Economic Marketing Strategy of the NHL as a whole??? Two totally different things that could be misinterpreted.

I would prefer the Olympic debate, but I really don't care. I just want to get this thing going.

This was a seriously good idea but I think it lost a lot of steam. There were a number of people that could and would have got involved if it flowed a little better.

Let's salvage what we can from this and getting rolling!!

Edited by - Beans15 on 04/21/2008 20:08:22
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  04:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I say NHL's Economic Model I mean benefits/concerns about the salary cap, new rules, ect. I think that it's too broad a topic, so I'll narrow it down for later rounds.

Alex said he is fine with doing fighting, and Beans, if SuperSakic is okay with it, you guys will be doing NHL players and the Olympics. I just switched it around

So Beans - SuperSakic = NHL players at the Olympics

Alex - Paintrain = Fighting in the NHL

Comments would be appreciated.

Edited by - leafsfan_101 on 04/22/2008 12:41:08
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  04:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's get things rolling. Patchy, you can pick your side and make the first post.
Go to Top of Page

OvertimeMark11
Top Prospect

16 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  09:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah that would be really good
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  10:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess this means that I am a member?

Ok, I don't mind taking the pro side of the olympics debate, as I am sure my own personal feelings will come into it.

Can someone tell me what the rules are?

Edited by - SuperSakic on 04/22/2008 10:46:30
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  12:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rules:
1). 3 posts per person on their desired topic
2). NO POSTING IN THE DEBATE THREAD OTHER THEN THE DEBATIES
3). Once all posts are done by the people debating, the members (including ones that have already been eliminated) will vote on who made thier points better and to the point. No bias on the topic or using your own personal opinion, just what was discussed in the thread.
4). This continues until we have a winner, Pickuphockey.com's "Master Debator".

Hope that clears it up.

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  12:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, I substituted Patchy for SuperSakic because Patchy's last post was April 6. SuperSakic has been inserted in Patchy's place, and therefore Beans and SuperSakic will debate NHL PLayers at the Olympics.

Beans and SuperSakic's debate thread will be up immediatly. SS has the 1st post, and will be debating the Benefits of Having NHL Players at the Olympics. Beans will be doing the opposite.

When the remaining debaties post here for confirmation their debate thread will be started by me.

Happy Debating!

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  13:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't care much for the "bigger nets" topic, but I'm in. I'll take whichever side LRP doesn't want.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  13:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a time limit for posts? Or a min/max length of posts?
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  13:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No time limit, but make it reasonable. I think 3 days should be ample time to get it in. And, from my debate with Alex, I think you can pretty much do whatever you think is best for your topic in terms of post length. Alex had very long posts and mine were shorter and more direct.

Needless to say it's your discretion, but I would try and keep posts not to short but enough so that you get your point across effectivly. If it gets too long and the meaning of the post is lost then you will most likely end up losing the debate.

Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  17:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm gonna have to pass on this one. I'm really busy with homework lately and I just don't have the time, I will still try to get on as much as I can to post on the Top 20 since 93, top 30 since lockout and top 50 since 67 threads. And I'll also read to make my vote in the debates, but as of now I don't have time to be in a debate. Don't worry LF101 I lost fair and square, you guys think he did better then I did and I respect that so don't worry of having to give me a second chance. Good Luck to all!
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  05:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohh, ok then so Paintrain and Alex's debate will have to be terminated.

Waiting to hear in from OILINONTARIO and LRP so I can get their debate rolling.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  07:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am ready. Whats the topic going to be?

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  07:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys can pick which one both of you would prefer.

Option 1: Bigger NHL Nets

Option 2: Fighting in Hockey

And as a side note, sorry Alex but your debate will have to be cancelled due to the fact Paintrain can't compete. If another patricipant joins then you can still be in it. I think the more people the better, so another member is welcome. But if no memmber, no debate for you.

But please, still vote on the debates as you have a say in deciding the Mater Debator of Pickuphockey.

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  12:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in for either side of the fighting debate. Ready when you are, LRP.

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  11:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone. Okay, I will start this debate soon, but we will wait until next week to start this. Beans and SuperSakic's debate is in full swing, so if you haven't seen it yet go ahead and check it out.

As an aside, LRP emailed me to say that he is on a school trip and cannot post on a debate for this week. Therefore he would like to ask OIL to decide which side he feels most comfortable with and he can have it. He said he wanted to get this going.

To all who wonder how he got my email, it is in the EA Sports vs. 2k Sports topic thread.

So OIL, it's your board. You have a week to decide which side you would like so take your time.

I would like to happily announce that LRP and Oil's debate is the last one of the 1st round. Congrats to the Great Debate

Edited by - leafsfan_101 on 04/29/2008 11:56:52
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  13:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem. I will choose to debate the opinion that fighting does have a place in hockey. Let me know when we can begin, and who is going first.

Edited by - OILINONTARIO on 05/01/2008 14:08:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page