Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 iginla or ovechkin Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mytor4
Rookie

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  04:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
this poll is being brought up because of othe past dicussions. i don't know if it's been don before.
if you had to pick one player between the two to have on your team which would it be. please do not take age into account. lets pretend that there both the same age to even this poll out.
could the mods please shutdown this poll after 10 days since there is no mention of a time limit on polls.

57 career losses,46 shutouts and 5 vezina trophys.6 Stanley Cup rings in 8 yrs

Results:
iginla   [65%] 11 votes
ovechkin   [35%] 6 votes

Poll Status: Open  »»   Total Votes: 17 counted  »»   Last Vote: 07/29/2008 09:28:40 

Oil
Top Prospect

28 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  12:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iginla is canadian and canadians know how to win the stanely cup.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  13:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skill wise their are pretty equal but i think a guy like Iginla would bring more to a locker room so i would have to go with him.
Go to Top of Page

Bozy
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  12:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They r both all around its hard to say
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  12:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iginla brings more to the table then just skill
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  02:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantasy hockey, I go Ovechkin. Real-life I go Iggy.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  04:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't vote, because I think it's a true toss-up. A tie.

Iginla might bring a bit more to the locker room, although we haven't seen OV long enough for that to be definitive. OV has the edge in skill.

I'd take either as my franchise player!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  06:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I didn't vote, because I think it's a true toss-up. A tie.

Iginla might bring a bit more to the locker room, although we haven't seen OV long enough for that to be definitive. OV has the edge in skill.

I'd take either as my franchise player!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

agreed either or you couldn;t be much better!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  12:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is any doubt in my mind that Iginla would be my guy. Taking nothing away from Ovechkin, the guy is sick. However, if there is a difference between the two it's the intangibles.

I would take a guy on my team that can score 40+ goals and 90+ points, kill penalties, go out every 2nd shift if needed, be a leader in the dressing room, drop the gloves on occasion, and be an embassador to my team and city over a guy who will throw in 60+ goals but doesn't bring the rest to the table as well.

There is no major flaw in any area of Iginla's game on either side of the puck. I don't think Ovechkin will ever be as good of a defensive player as Iginla because he doesn't have the desire to be an outstanding defensive player.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  15:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's definitely a fair question, but I feel like these type of posts indicate that we are taking Ovechkin and Crosby for granted a little, and it's probably due to the fact that they entered the league at the same time.

Guys, Ovechkin and Crosby have not even come close to reaching their potential! Sidney Crosby is the youngest player ever to score 100 points in a season! Sure, we can say that Iginla may possibly be better than Ovechkin at this point in time, but need I remind you that Ovechkin has only three NHL seasons under his belt? AO's worst season was 92 points. In his first nine seasons, Iginla only managed above 80 points once!

By the way, I'm on the Iginla side for this one (as of 2008, mind you.) But I just think we should remember that this really is a case of apples to oranges, because no active NHL player ever broke out on to the NHL scence the way these two phenoms have. We are comparing kids to adults and are forgetting it because the kids are just that good.

All I'm saying is these two kids haven't even hit their potential.

Proudly Celebrating Over 50 Blogs and Counting
Go to Top of Page

Guest9874
( )

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  16:34:13  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I don't think there is any doubt in my mind that Iginla would be my guy. Taking nothing away from Ovechkin, the guy is sick. However, if there is a difference between the two it's the intangibles.

I would take a guy on my team that can score 40+ goals and 90+ points, kill penalties, go out every 2nd shift if needed, be a leader in the dressing room, drop the gloves on occasion, and be an embassador to my team and city over a guy who will throw in 60+ goals but doesn't bring the rest to the table as well.

There is no major flaw in any area of Iginla's game on either side of the puck. I don't think Ovechkin will ever be as good of a defensive player as Iginla because he doesn't have the desire to be an outstanding defensive player.

hey beans 1 post from 2500 good job buddy,,,i love readin what u have 2 say keep it up
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  11:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex
By the way, I'm on the Iginla side for this one (as of 2008, mind you.) But I just think we should remember that this really is a case of apples to oranges, because no active NHL player ever broke out on to the NHL scence the way these two phenoms have. We are comparing kids to adults and are forgetting it because the kids are just that good.

With the risk of sounding like a broken record, I agree completely but I think I will go with Iginla for all the reasons Beans mentioned, at least for a couple of more seasons.

Haven´t checked any stats to back this up but I get the feeling that Ovie plays better against weaker teams (notably so in comparison with other players), anyone who knows for sure?

Might check in in a couple of days other than that I will have to take a break for a couple of months at least due to alot of work around the house.
(Yes you can breathe out now )

Edited by - I´m also Cånädiön on 07/26/2008 11:29:20
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  19:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I´m also Cånädiön

Haven´t checked any stats to back this up but I get the feeling that Ovie plays better against weaker teams (notably so in comparison with other players), anyone who knows for sure?

Sorry to hear you're leaving bud, I enjoy reading your posts! Come back soon! Anyways, in response to your ''weaker teams'' comment, I posted in my blog that AO scored 32 percent of his points in inter-division play last season (less than the presumed average when considering a little more than 39 percent of his games were inter-divisional.) So if my math serves me right, he actually scores more against better teams. Notably, he only had three 5 point games all season, and they were against Montreal, Ottawa and Boston...

Wonder why?

Proudly Celebrating Over 50 Blogs and Counting

Edited by - Alex on 07/26/2008 19:32:14
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  15:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be easier if they both played the same amount of seasons. For the 2008 season I would have to take Iginla. As a coach, you can send him out on any time in the game and you will have absolutely no worry. When he's on the ice, you know he's on. He's always doing something. Whether coming back to help out his D. Or being physical. He's always doing something. The only reason I would know Ovechkin is on the ice at times is because the commentators say "And Ovechkin just stepped on the ice". But if they didn't say that there would be a lot of shifts where I wouldn't know he'd be on the ice. Where to Iginla I know when he's on the ice because he's always doing something. He's a player who can lead your team to a cup. He will score you the goals, he will work hard, he will be a positive leader, he will be a good community person, he will do anything for the team. What else could you ask for in a player?

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  15:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

It would be easier if they both played the same amount of seasons. For the 2008 season I would have to take Iginla. As a coach, you can send him out on any time in the game and you will have absolutely no worry. When he's on the ice, you know he's on. He's always doing something. Whether coming back to help out his D. Or being physical. He's always doing something. The only reason I would know Ovechkin is on the ice at times is because the commentators say "And Ovechkin just stepped on the ice". But if they didn't say that there would be a lot of shifts where I wouldn't know he'd be on the ice. Where to Iginla I know when he's on the ice because he's always doing something. He's a player who can lead your team to a cup. He will score you the goals, he will work hard, he will be a positive leader, he will be a good community person, he will do anything for the team. What else could you ask for in a player?

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!

that is another point i think beans mentioned it aswell but iginla is the kind of guy who should be the face of our game his off ice commitment to the comunity and the respect and class he comports himself with really reflects what a pro athlete should,,,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page