Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Story of the pre-playoff NHL year Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  06:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What has been the most memorable thing, to you, about this year in the NHL?

Choices:

Penguins silence media, go on a tear without Crosby
Canadiens, originally not a playoff team, first in East
Hossa, Campbell, Richards, Forsberg, others move at deadline; Sundin, others do not
Ovechkin first to hit 60 goals since 95-96
Season premier in London, England
Injury plagued All-Star game, first ever style shootout in All-Star Game
The best is still to come in the tight race for the playoff berths
Other - (what?)

Edited by - Alex on 03/23/2008 09:19:41

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  07:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All worthy candidates, no doubt.

The Canadiens being a surprise team, as much as my bias ranks that higher than it should, is not the greatest story of the year. Every year teams surprise us, maybe not fan-favourite teams, maybe not in such a huge way, but still, so much more has happened than to put the Habs in first on this list.

The defining moment of the trade deadline, to me, was Pittsburgh being a prime example of why the new CBA is failing teams. Without a cap, the Pittsburgh Penguins would have been a great team in the future. However, now, they can't afford to sign Crosby, Geno, Fleury, Staal, Whitney, Letang, Talbot, Esposito and others, simply due to a system that is conterproductive in my mind. However, trade deadlines are always huge, and this one was no exception. But story of the year is a push.

Ovechkin as the first to hit 60 is possibly my second biggest story of the year. He is the first since Super Mario to reach this accomplishment, and has simply been a stud since his very first game in the NHL. He is a very promising player and makes it exciting to know that the NHL I will grow up watching will feature him at centre stage.

The All-Star game, for all the hype and anti-climatic aftermath, was a big let down. Enough said. I don't like making negative stories the highlight of the year.

For me, the story of the year was Crosby's injury. As I mentioned elsewhere, it was a routine play that sidelined him for a good measure of the season. We have seen other greats, like Bossy, Harvey, Orr and Lemieux have short-lived success due to injury woes. I cringe at the thought that Crosby might be on the same path. And, (this is for you IHC), you know what? The Pittsbrugh Penguins can do just fine without their captain. They basically told the Crosby-biased media to stuff it this year,and good for them. Personally, I love the kid, but he is not the hockey god he is made out to be.

All aboard the Price bandwagon

EDIT: Can all the members who look at this join the PickUpHockey Cyber Cup? It only will take two minutes, I am trying to get participation from all the active members. All you need to do for now is read the intro and tell me you will join. Time is of the essence. Thanks guys, I know I can count on you
This is the link:
http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3820#51395

Edited by - Alex on 03/24/2008 11:39:04
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  09:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canadiens for me ... although all habs fans knew it was gonna happen
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  09:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im tied between two

either the pens kicking ass without sid the kid, and ovechkin hitting 60.

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  18:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex this is a great topic. But I think you should have posted this AFTER the season was over. Who knows, someone could get a 11 point night in these last games. Regardless though, it's a good topic.

Mine has to be Ovechkin. First player to get 60 goals since 1995-96. It's great for the NHL to have such an amazing star. I think if Crosby played all the games Ovechkin wouldn't have been talked about so much. But since Crosby is out Ovechkin is getting all the attention and he probably loves it. Fantastic thing to see.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  18:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The absolute best thing that has yet to happen will be Canada's own Mighty Maples crashing into the playoffs. Anyone see the Maple's handle the vaunted Senators again last night? Right in their own yard this time. Of course, like I have been saying all year, the refs tried to screw us over again with a weak penalty call with a minute left but the better team prevailed. Ottawa, you should have picked somebody else's province to move into!!!!!!! You had the team but could never get by the Maples.......when the Leafs missed the dance the last two years you couldn't beat anyone else either. Your time has come and gone and now it is time to rebuild, or maybe move your broken franchise out of politicianville. Leaf- Mtl matchup in the first playoff round? Probably not, but the possibility does exist? LOL

Edited by - Antroman on 03/23/2008 18:51:02
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  06:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

The absolute best thing that has yet to happen will be Canada's own Mighty Maples crashing into the playoffs. Anyone see the Maple's handle the vaunted Senators again last night? Right in their own yard this time. Of course, like I have been saying all year, the refs tried to screw us over again with a weak penalty call with a minute left but the better team prevailed. Ottawa, you should have picked somebody else's province to move into!!!!!!! You had the team but could never get by the Maples.......when the Leafs missed the dance the last two years you couldn't beat anyone else either. Your time has come and gone and now it is time to rebuild, or maybe move your broken franchise out of politicianville. Leaf- Mtl matchup in the first playoff round? Probably not, but the possibility does exist? LOL

Hah, antro.

I love how you have pride for your Leafs, no matter how great or terrible they perform. But, i'm sorry sir. Too late.

but hey, with Sundin missing in action maybe Antropov will score 5 goals a game, and you guys get a shot. Wait, Tucker might! I don't know, maybe not. :p

Irvine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page