Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 most ridiculous scenario imaginable Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mytor4
Rookie

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  20:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sorry that i copied this from another board but it has to be seen by all hockey fans.

Okay, here is the most ridiculous scenario imaginable. I don't know if it possible with the current standings, so I will make it hypothetical.

Imagine the following standings on the last day of the season

8) Ottawa - 82 GP - 92 pts (40 W)
9) Toronto - 81 GP - 91 pts (40 W)
10) Boston - 81 GP - 90 pts (39 W)

Now, suppose Toronto vs. Boston in the last game. Now, let's say Ottawa has narrowly won the season series vs. Boston 5-3, but Boston has destroyed Toronto 7-0 in their season series. Toronto and Ottawa have split 4-4.

Here's the funny thing: Boston could only make the playoffs by winning in OT. Winning in regulation would not do it. Therefore, if they were winning 2-1 with a minute left, they would have to score into their own net.

Here's why:
- if Boston wins in regulation, they would tie Ottawa in wins and points, but would lose the tiebreaker for the season series
- but if Boston wins in OT, there would be a 3-way tie in wins and points, and Boston has the best 3-way season series record

It's so absurd.

57 career losses,46 shutouts and 5 vezina trophys.6 Stanley Cup rings in 8 yrs

Timay
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  22:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought the tie-breaker was determined by wins, then total goals for... not season series. I don't know why I always thought that. It would make more sense. I couldn't find anything regarding that rule anywhere online. Can anyone else help?
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  01:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Straight from NHL.com:

"If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2. The greater number of games won.
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season."

So the goal differential comes AFTER the 3-way record.

Pretty wild.

My head just exploded.
Go to Top of Page

Timay
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  08:55:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Mytor's scenario is possible. Wow! I think it's time they take another look at that. Doesn't it make sense to go with the goals for/goals against differential before the season series is measured? Not that the scenario can't still happen though, I guess it just makes it that more improbable. I wouldn't want to see that really. A team scoring on themselves to make the playoffs? What if they're up 5 goals? They gotta give up 5 empty-netters in the last 2 minutes and hope they can still win in overtime or a shootout? Friggin' bizarre.

Phaneuf pher Norris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page