Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The way hockey broadcasts begin these days Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  05:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss the days when a hockey broadcast didn't start with blaring rock music or ridiculously quick highlight montages. I know this makes me sound like a grumpy middle-aged man, but whether it is the CBC's "Saturday, Saturday, Saturday..." music or the over-filled and ridiculously quick montages on other networks, I think I would prefer the old-fashioned way which was basically just the classic HNIC theme music in CBC's case or sometimes before that they would put together some sort of clever music background to convey the story related to the game (like one time when the Leafs were continuously losing leads, they started with Paul Simon's "Slip sliding away" and showed the series of Leaf collapses).

Any thoughts on this? I know that this is a bit of a personal taste thing (I generally don't like things really loud or really fast) and also a generational thing probably (not to mention my nostalgic side popping up again - right Leigh!), but I would trade in the way the broadcasts open up today in an instant for a more basic old time hockey broadcast.

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  06:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What we need is rap music not rock. Hey it pumps me up before a game.

Go Stars
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  08:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really like the blaring music myself and I am not a middle aged man!!

I think that the blaring music at the start of the game and in between plays, specifically at the stadium, takes away from the sounds of the game.

A perfect example of this was last night when Tucker and Heatley were exchanging pleasantries with each other in the penalty box. That would have been very entertaining to hear.
Go to Top of Page

Komisaurus
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  08:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
even if the music was down, I highly doubt what they were saying would be allowed to be put on live t.v
Go to Top of Page

Komisaurus
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  08:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rock & Roll music all the way baby!, loud and proud!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  08:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Komisaurus

even if the music was down, I highly doubt what they were saying would be allowed to be put on live t.v

Can you tell me how they could stop if from being on live TV?? Unless there is a delay in the feed, those sounds come out. Sure, you might not have heard the entire thing, but you would have heard the start.

Wonder if the NHL dicipline on something like that?? Clearly speculative, but it did appear that Tucker was discussing intent to injury Mr. Heatley...

Regardless, you will never know because of the blaring Nickelback coming from the speakers.
Go to Top of Page

Komisaurus
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  10:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I mean on the ice you do hear the players sometimes, but whenever I hear players yapping at each other like the heatley/tucker thing, I never hear them, Like ever! but i guess your right cause sometimes I do hear the occasional swear word when play becomes dead and that usually is when the music is off, but maybe that is why they have the music loud, because there is kids around and people watching it from home, they dont want people to hear all that...And ya tucker was telling heatley to "watch your knees"
Go to Top of Page

Komisaurus
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  10:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but whenever I ***see*** players yapping at each other like the heatley/tucker thing...Typo
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2008 :  10:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally agree with you Andy! Not just in the openings of the broadcasts but at the games themselves. The broadcast / the game / the evironment is more of a spectacle these days than a sporting event, the game is clearly secondary. Once again the broadcasts and the NHL are trying to cater to the people who don't want the game rather than those of us who do.

On the flip side though, the younger "video game" generation is the next wave of fans coming up, so, like with every new decade comes change. We just got to accept it....even good old CBC evolves. Pretty soon they'll just jack you into the system and you can select your "interactive mood settings", then they'll pump you full of product placements stitched between some Ovechkin and Crosby eplileptic montages. Seizure anyone?

Edited by - leigh on 04/04/2008 10:18:42
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  12:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't agree more. And I believe that this is more of a problem than the NHL - or anyone - realizes. If all game-goers were able to enjoy not only the live game action but also the nuances and subtext going on IN BETWEEN the game play, I believe there would be less of a scramble to try and 'win' over passing, casual fans. If there was less of a veiled and hollow attempt to, supposedly, keep the fans entertained in their seats with blaring music, strained quickie in-arena promos and seizure-inducing visuals on the hi-def jumbo-tron that currently goes on in between whistles, then fans of all labels would be able take in the boiling drama that is mounting continually during both play and play stoppages.

What really gets my ire now is when the music is still playing several seconds AFTER play has resumed ! This outrages me. It's disrespectful to the game, the sport, the players and...ME - the fan.

I have been thinking that the NHL needs to do a 'throw-back' night where they deliver that night's games in a classic old-fashioned way. From the broadcasts, to the in-arena staff and production etc..etc.. They do this every year in minor-pro baseball (with broadcasts anyway) where they use the old-style of cheesy sound effects for the different goings on of the game.

Well the league, or any team within itself for that matter, could have a night where they use old style "barking" vendors in the stands, broadcasters and suite supervisors would be dressed in period style, and most importantly, they would NOT have ear-ringing crap to destroy the true atmosphere of the game for both the die-hard fan, and the future die-hard fan alike.

Let the game sell itself - then we will be grooming a generation of fans who love the game for itself. But choke the game full of bells, whistles, and fluff and your new fans are not in love with the game - they just like fluff and will move on when some form of competition creates better fluff.

I don't know about you guys but I like hockey... my wife watches fluff on Lifetime, Oxygen etc..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page