Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 NHL measuring sticks during shootout Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  09:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Refs will now measure sticks before each shooter - but what happens if the sticks are deemed illegal? Do they get disqualified and lose the shot?

nazzy_19
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  10:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Automatic goal for the other team? Just like if the goalie throws his stick during a penalty shot, maybe...
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  10:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They should just leave it alone. Keep the existing rule: if the other team calls you on it and you have an illegal stick you get a penalty. If they call you on it and you don't, they get a penalty. So simply just adapt it to the shoot out, you should lose your shot....or maybe they should shoot the guy with the lowest points on the team. It would bring a new meaning to the phrase "shoot out". I might even start liking the shoot out then.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  20:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still can't grasp the concept of an illegal stick. Who cares if it has more of a curve...what advantage does it give? It's not like in Atom or Peewee where kids (I used to be like this) that wanted the sticks with the biggest curve so they could brag about how easily or how high they could lift the puck off the ice. I could make an educated guess to say that this is not the case in the pros. I say let any player play with whatever curve they want...who cares?
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  22:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big deal on the curve has to do with puck control and puck protection. The bigger the curve the better puck protection it offers and therefore the harder it is to strip the puck off your stick (or for that matter, it's easier to steal the puck from an opponent with a sharper curve) So that is why they regulate the curve.

Of course this fact is irrelevant in a shoot out. But I imagine they don't want two sets of rules, one for the game and one for the shoot out.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  10:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I understand that, but I still think it's a little "wussy". Each stick/blade/curve has its own set of pros and cons, I just don't see why it has to be regulated. Just me I guess!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  23:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya that's true. I guess it's like hooking and holding, you have to draw the line somewhere and if you don't enforce it players slowly take advantage.

I agree with Ripley in this thread, leave it up to the players/coaches to police it.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  10:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Nazzy - automatic goal for the other team is a huge penalty and will totally stop players from trying to sneak in an illegal stick.

Instead I think the league is just forcing teams to select a new player if it is found that one of the shooters has an illegal stick. Not really a great deterrent.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  11:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a pretty big deterent if your shooter is Jokinen.
Go to Top of Page

NuckH8R
Top Prospect

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  12:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Ripley.

P.S.
Shootouts are lame so who cares.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll