Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Agitators Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  17:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Simple questions: should agitators be cracking NHL lineups at the expense of other more-talented, less useful players?

Choices:

Yes
No

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  17:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read something interesting in the Globe and Mail (Friday April 11th 2008) that got me thinking.

We already know Sean Avery allegedly made comments about Toronto Maple Leafs' forward Jason Blake's non-life threatining luekemia. Whether that is true or not remains a topic for debate, as it came from another agitator-turned-top line forward (only on a team like Toronto would that happen!) Darcy Tucker.

However, there is no secret that Sean Avery and co. play mind games to try and throw guys off their game. Brodeur came out and said Avery has been bothering him about his divorce, an issue that was relevant in 2003 and is now just getting old.

I'm wondering if these sorts of guys belong in the game.

Heck, as a GM I can see why you want that type of guy on your team. If you can get an Aaron Downy-like player to knock Sidney Crosby off his game, he is definitely worth the money. However, my question is, should the NHL as a whole do away with the whole lot of guys who make their bread and butter ticking off the game's stars?

Incident after incident is leading me to say yes, they should. All sorts of personal, racist and even baseless comments have been thrown out, and you have to wonder where is our game heading?

Now, a guy like Sean Avery happens to also be a half-decent hockey player. However, I feel that guys like him do not deserve to make money unless it is on their talent in the game played on the ice, not in the heads.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Time for a new feature poll, Leigh / Admin?

Edited by - Alex on 04/13/2008 10:29:26
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  10:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the elustrious words of Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game!"

Agitators have been part of the game for years. In my time, guys like Ken Linsemen and Esa Tikkanen were the guys I remember that were not only guys that will go in a stir the pot but also could put the puck in the net.

The agitator, especailly in the playoffs, is a key piece to a winning puzzle. If you look at most great teams of the past 20+ years, there is normally an agitator in the mix. A guy like Claude Lemieux's value in the playoffs is immeasureable. A coach, GM, or owner could really care less about how Sean Avery does his job. Just that the job gets done. If that guy can put the puck in the net while he does it, even better.

If a GM decided to not have a player on his team because he might not like them as a person, that is the GM with a losing team and will find themselves out of a job.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  12:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not to mention avery is a big reason why the rangers are up 2-0 right now,,,, and it wasn;t his mouth that did it

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  19:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah agitators are a 2 for 1 deal, the ability to play in the NHL with an ability to throw a star player off of their game. As long as they keep it within limits but I think if they are allowed to do the nonsense they do... we MUST remove the instagator rule so they can't turtle and draw a penalty... if they can do that stuff they should be able to take a beating for it
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  06:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

Yeah agitators are a 2 for 1 deal, the ability to play in the NHL with an ability to throw a star player off of their game. As long as they keep it within limits but I think if they are allowed to do the nonsense they do... we MUST remove the instagator rule so they can't turtle and draw a penalty... if they can do that stuff they should be able to take a beating for it

i agree 110% or at least modify the instigator rule so that that crap avery was pulling infront of Brodeur last night is considerd instigating so when somone in red pumells him for its to remind him thats marty brodeur you're messing around with that person is not penalized extra for takeing care of avery.... i dont mind agitators as long as they can play nhl calibre hockey!!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  16:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The poll question is skewed. There are many agitators that are good enought to be 1st or 2nd line players.

Ciccarelli, Verbeek, Tikkanen, Laperierre

All great players...all agitators...and I'm sure I'm missing a lot more.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page

messiah5
Top Prospect

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  12:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But I think the poster was talking about people who are started just because they are agitators and not the quality of their game.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page