Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Canada's Team? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  13:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Every year one of the six Canadian teams goes the distance and the rest of our country throws them their support. In 04 it was Calgary, 06 Edmonton and last year Ottawa. Is Montreal Canada's team this year?

Choices:

Yes
No

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  14:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NOOOO WAYY

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  14:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really would appreciate if the admin made this the feature poll for a little while at least. Want to see how many on the site would throw their support to the Habs and how many are too principled.

TSN all but called Montreal Canada's team in a report today. They inadvertantly questioned head coach Guy Carboneau about it, following Calgary's game 7 loss. And yet, I am seeing all over the site people give comments such as ''I can't wait for Philly to break Montreal's hopes and bodies'' or ''Montreal fans should get in touch with reality, the team is not built to be a champion'' or things like that. If there will be a ''Canada's Team'' this year, no doubt it will be Montreal. My question is, do you think there are people out there too principled or loyal ot their own teams to throw their support to Montreal? After all, I can see why it can get annoying for one team to have 24 (possibly 25) rings, and call 15 years a ''drought.'' Yet on the other hand, I see guys jumping the bandwagon every day.

So, what's the verdict? Will Montreal be Canada's team? Or, will Canadians look elsewhere for someone to cheer for this year? I want to hear from you!

Edited by - Alex on 04/24/2008 14:05:46
Go to Top of Page

Guest9874
( )

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  14:22:08  Reply with Quote
I think that most of us would welcome the cup back to Canada with open arms doesn't matter who brings it to us even if it was the Leafs. Ya some of us have our things against MTL but end of the day would rather see them win than some team from San Jose or Dallas or Colorado!

Great question wanna see what people say
Go to Top of Page

IrishDrunkGuy3
Top Prospect

5 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  14:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't jump bandwagons never have never will but if the cup comes back to Canada that's great just for crying out loud, why does it gotta go back to the team that won it 15 years ago? There was a period of seven years where the cup did not go to the US, Edmonton had 4 'ships, Calgary and Montreal one each in that span.

I don't like Montreal they keep destroying Sundin's chances to win his cup that he deserves so much and I would not support a team from Montreal, didn't support the Sens last year either, I did like Edmonton and Calgary though and I'd like Vancouver if they didn't suck so bad.
Go to Top of Page

BradTheBadDad
Top Prospect

73 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  14:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A hundred percent I would support the Habs, I am a fan of the game not the teams which is why I like a different team every year and not really one of them but a couple. I know all the old guys who preach tradition on this site are gonna kill me, and that's fine with me! At least if you are a fan of the Habs there is hope what if you like the Maple Creeps?

Anyhow I'm getting a little ahead of myself, I do support the Canadiens because I am Canadian, and would support any team from Canada or that has a lot of Canadian players.

''Eat. Sleep. Hockey''
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  17:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Montreal happens to be one of my favorite teams. Behind the Oilers, they were my 2nd favorite growing up. So I happen to be cheering for them anyways.

However, I could really care less about another Canadian team. I cheer for Montreal and Edmonton. I would cheer against the Leafs and the Canucks. I am impartial to Calgary.

I cheer for my Oilers 1st, the Habs 2nd, and after that is my favorite players, not the team.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  18:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't generally have a team. Over the years I have liked Chicago for the most part because Savard was such a treat to watch. But I haven't actually had a team for years. In fact in the late 90' I didn't watch a lot of hockey. I have to admit that I have become a bit of a Flames fan this season. I love watching Iginla and completely agree with how Beans summed him up in the "most valuable player in the first round" thread. He is truly special.
And then I love watching Phaneuf. This guy is going to be something for years to come. Starting next season he will be the Norris favourite for a decade. He really is that good. Who was the last d-man you remember going coast to coast and scoring? That brings a smile to my face seeing him do things like that. And for all the flak he gets about his defensive abilities he makes so many solid defensive plays every game and then adds outstanding offense on top of that, that those small and rare gaffes are irrelevant.
Then there's Owen Nolan. Now that guy is a hockey player. Has been one of my favourites for a long time. So I grew to like Calgary this season.

Montreal Canada's team? Not so sure. Montreal tends to be a polarizing team for most Canadians. You either like them or hate them. If you hate them you will never cheer for them. Canadian or not.

The only time I ever rooted for Montreal was when Savard won a cup with them. Otherwise I surely wouldn't have.

I'd even root for Toronto before Montreal. The only time I rooted for them was the same year I rooted for Montreal. I wanted them to beat LA.

Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  19:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a game that was tonight! Saku wins that draw Kovalev snaps the shot. Then in Overtime a great effort by Kostpoulous and the game's over. If your teams out you have to cheer for the habs.

Go Stars!!!
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  21:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are Canada's team, bc there is no other canadian teams left ... mb not on this site .. but the majority of canada will be cheering for the habs ... but then again the majority already does
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  05:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if they are not Canada's team now, who is? I didn't hear about Canada taking over the City of Detroit? When did Harper pull that off?

Having said that, does it mean that everyone in Canada should cheer for the Habs? Of course not! There are loads of Canadian hockey players on every team. That reasoning is foolish. Any Habs fan who says to a Bruins, Leafs, Canuck, Senators ...fan that you now should be cheering for the Habs is showing the arrogance, lack of sensitivity and total lack of awareness towards the plight of those who haven't been as fortunate as the Habs over the years - not very admirable qualities for which many Habs fans are famous (not all mind you).

Do they have lots of fans in Canada? Yes. Maybe the most of any Canadian team? Maybe yes. Maybe no. But who cares? When I was a kid I was taught by my dad that if everyone is going in one direction, think strongly about going in the other direction. That combined with my own thinking that cheering for a team that is winning all the time (I grew up in the 70s) is kind of a copout, led me away from the easy choice of choosing a team that has won so so so much over the years as my favorite team. Though they haven't won as much since, they have still found their way to two surprising Cups since the glory of the '70s. Why didn't those two surprising Cups go elsewhere? Why the surprise for Montreal fans of all fans? Why haven't other cities been able to enjoy that glory? Some Philly fan my age for example has been waiting thirty plus years for ONE Cup. If Philly loses this series (probably will), yet another year goes by for that diehard Philly fan while your Habs may get their THIRD Cup in 22 years (in the so-called "drought" years). Are you going to ask that diehard Philly fan to suddenly cheer for the Habs? Again, utter nonsense, arrogance and lack of awareness.

Yeah, I'm bitter. I admit it. But I generally have nothing against the Hab players themselves. The fans, particularly the older ones, are the ones who bug me. In a weird way I sometimes hope Montreal wins because the only thing that makes me sicker than seeing a 40 year old plus Montreal fan overjoyed by a victory, is seeing a 40 year old plus Montreal fan distraught by a loss. I mean that is really sad. And they are out there. These guys who in their younger years had nothing but win after win after win getting really upset about the Habs not winning. It amazes me that a 40 year old plus guy can't just laugh off a loss and say, "well, at least I saw a lot of Cups in my day". If the Bruins won just ONE Cup I'd have that attitude after that.

Last point - I stand to win a lot of money if the Habs win the Cup this year, and I still CAN NOT even come close to bringing myself to cheer for them - feel bad for Philly fans whose hearts were broken last night. Ohhh welll!

Go to Top of Page

Guest4484
( )

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  07:19:02  Reply with Quote
I sometimes think it's kind of silly when a Canadian team in the playoffs becomes Canada's team. I'm fairly indifferent to most teams nowadays, maybe except for Vancouver (they're our NHL affiliate for the Manitoba Moose; I'm from Winnipeg). One team I truly despise is the Calgary Flames and could not bring myself to cheer for them when they were playing against Tampa for the cup. I honestly didn't really care when Edmonton and Ottawa made it to the final either.

Some say "well they're Canadian why aren't you cheering for them?" To be honest I'm still bitter about the Jets leaving and their immense success in Phoenix (yeah right) and feel that we should still have an NHL franchise. Second, some of the teams that Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa have played in the playoffs in past years have a lot of Canadian content, so why can't we cheer for those players? This is a North American league, not Canada vs. USA and I support players that I like for the most part, regardless of what team they play on.

Funny enough I chose a few players from Montreal for a playoff pool this year, so GO HABS!
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  10:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahaha Awesome ending after that ... but yes I didn't cheer for any canadian teams but rather against them except Calgary that year until they met Tampa, I knew it was over then. Non the less I dont expect people to go for Canadian teams just most people do after their team is out. But how about that game last night eh?
Go to Top of Page

Guest2719
( )

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  11:59:55  Reply with Quote
I'm one of those 40+ guys, cheering for the Habs, but it has more to do with history than the fact that they were winning all the time. CIty affiliations with junior teams and all that going back to the 50's, when the Original six had teams on the prarires where you could see your local stars move up to the big leagues. Was a fan then, still a fan now. But I would never say a player "deserves" a cup. Maybe if they did what's best for the team, and wave no trade clauses, or help with salary management, or actually mentor someone to be better. Teams, and fans deserve a cup. Not a player, they should earn it.

But saying that they stuck it out on a bad team for so long they deserve to win one, that's ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  23:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand this recent patriotic pandering for Canadian teams the last 15 - 20 years. I remember in the 70's when the Black Hawks met the Canadiens in the finals in 71 and 73 there was just as many Black Hawk fans as Canadien fans. Also a Leafs fan or Canucks fan didn't automatically support the remaining Canadian team in the playoffs. Growing up in BC there were the majority Canuck fans but I remember friends of mine who cheered for the Rangers, Penguins, Black hawks, Bruins, Flyers..etc and nobody gave them grief about cheering for a non-canadian team. Today when I tell people that I'm cheering for a certain team that is not a Canadian team I get all sorts of comments like "you have to go for the Canadian team" Where did this overblown patriotism come from?

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  10:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great poll Alex. It's on the home page.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9288
( )

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  12:22:15  Reply with Quote
Montreal is Quebecs team, not canadas team. They should be called The Montreal Quebecois
Go to Top of Page

Guest4829
( )

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  13:00:42  Reply with Quote
No. They're too Euro. Many other teams have a higher per capita Canadian content, just as the Canes and Bolts did when the Flamers and Oilers were playing. Plekanec where's a turtle-neck, nuff said.
Go to Top of Page

Stef
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  13:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I was cheering for the underdog Capitals and after an amazing run, they were beaten by the Flyers. It would be awesome if the Habs were to wipe the floor with the Flyers and I am going to have a fun time watching those dirty players lose!
Although the Habs are not my favorite team, they have an amazing club and the team is working together. Price may be a rookie and not used to the playoffs, but hey, he is playing pretty amazing for his first run! If they keep playing their best, they will have no trouble getting the Flyers out.
Of course, Canada cant really have a team since a lot of times, the American teams have more Canadian players than the Canadian teams. Seeing as how the team I was cheering for is out, I will probably be watching the World Championship more but will definitely be rooting for the Habs.
Everyone has their favorite teams though and anyone can cheer for whoever they want!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6342
( )

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  21:31:31  Reply with Quote
Just ran across this forum. I found this topic interesting. I live in western Canada and other than the Habs Fans you would find it hard to find fans from most of the other teams jumpping on the habs bandwagon. It would be the same for the Leafs.

Problem is most people think that these two teams get way to much media attention. TSN is always shoving the leafs down your throat. Now that Montreal is in the limelight they can do no wrong.

As for Canadian content tonight's game had 11 Canadians suited up for the Flyers and 7 for the Habs.

Would that make the Flyers Canada's team tonight. To wrap it up if you asked 10 people in my town (who's teams are out of the playoffs) if they are now cheering for the Habs they would give you a heck no.

Sorry for the long Post.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7626
( )

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  04:27:21  Reply with Quote
hahahaha what a topic.....I would support any team on earth b4 I would support the HABS or Sens....To hell with them both...and yes I am bitter....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  07:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am cheering against Montreal, even though in general I don't like Philly.

My teams are 1. Leafs, 2. Edmonton, 3. Calgary. I refuse to cheer for Vancouver (never liked the team), and same goes for Montreal for rivalry reasons. I did, however, cheer mightily for Quebec when they had a team, because I thought Sakic was amazing.

The one poster here noted that Philly had more Canadian players on the ice than the Habs did last night . . . heh heh, must have been why Philly won.

Watch for it - when/if the Habs get knocked out, Pittsburgh will become "Canada's team" according to CBC because of a certain you-know-who in their line-up . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page