Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2008 Playoffs - San Jose - Dallas Series Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  19:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talk about the series.

Edited by - willus3 on 05/05/2008 17:04:47

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  19:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really impressed with Dallas. I didn't realize they had such a good team.
Great to see Zubov back. He's already making his presence known in the game.
Guys who have impressed me:
Robidas - Great skating, puck moving defencemen.
Ribeiro - Fantastic, creative playmaking forward. Makes a lot of exciting things happen.

Modano is still playing very well. And he's such a pleasure to watch. One of the smoothest and fastest skaters ever.

San Jose doesn't really impress me. They can't get it together. Lots of individual talent that doesn't play well together and half the individuals don't show up.
Thornton isn't doing much to quell his playoff choker tag.
Nabokov is completely overrated.

I'm looking forward to Dalllas winning this series. I'd actually like to see them go to the cup and represent the west.

Edited by - willus3 on 04/27/2008 19:48:36
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  19:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On paper San Jose has the best team between the two. But Willus hit it dead on that they don't seem to be playing as a team. Dallas on the other hand, is playing like a team and that's what's separating them. The game on right now, San Jose is dominating the game with the odd shift where Dallas tends to keep it in their end for a long time. Turn around for Milan Michalek in this series too. Clowe also seems to be slowing down in this series. Morrow is playing like a true captain and Thornton is plugging it up. Marleau also is turning it around. All I know is that Nabakov has got to start playing better or else Dallas will be playing either Detroit or Colorado.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  20:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a fantastic game tonight for Dallas.
San Jose is falling apart.
What a pass by Zubov. The guys misses half the season and comes back and makes a highlight reel, play of the year type pass.
With Zubov back, penalties are a very bad idea for San Jose. He is absolutely fantastic on the powerplay.
The refs are pathetic in this series however. Very poor calls.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Glen Healey doesn't get asked back as a commentator. He's made some questionable comments and is generally pretty negative. I don't care for his style much.

Edited by - willus3 on 04/27/2008 20:22:28
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  20:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Dallas Stars playing well. Zubov made a great pass to Modano tonight. Great to see him back. Turco has played great and Dallas is getting good scoring. I agree with you Willus i personally dislike Healy and I hate when he puts negetive comments toward players when he was nothing better then a backup goalie. The other night he was saying that hagman couldn't finish well he had 2 goals tonight so I hope that shut him up. Thornton is plugging up your right Paintrain tonight he had a open net but I forget which dman came back and deflected the puck away. I think San Jose is overated and I think Dallas will be able to finish them off.

Go Stars!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6638
( )

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  01:14:25  Reply with Quote
If the Sharks lose there are significant changes coming to the Sharks...Wilson or Marleau (probably Wilson)...see ya!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  14:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas has hid in the shadows of Anaheim and San Jose all year but they have quietly built a pretty solid team. Really solid team. The addition of Brad Richards at the trade deadline was genius and he has added something to that team on all areas of the ice. They are going to be pretty tough to beat.

The scariest thing with Dallas is they seem to play better on the road. Taking away home ice in the playoffs is a very difficult thing to do and they have done it in both of the first two series.

SJ has not looked hungry at all, and they really only played up to their abilities in one period against the Flames. I just can't see them winning 4 out of 5.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  11:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I definitely haven't posted in a LONG time, but here I go...

San Jose is losing because they are being out-coached. Wilson's strategies are so obvious to me so I wonder how easy they must be for professional coaching staffs to pick apart. Their PP does the same thing every time... They get one guy to try to skate through 3 of 4 of the PKers just across the blue line, then they drop it to the D while the forwards drive deep. This only works 1/2 the time because PKers will often collapse together and take the puck away from the guy skating in. If they do manage, SJ plays it deep (usually to Thornton). Then all the PKers collapse low so there is no pass for him. SJ doesn't use their D as much as they should so easy pass pick off and it gets cleared. They try this a couple times, doesn't work, and by that time the penalty is over.

Another reason SJ is losing is because they don't know how to defend a lead. Notice how game 4 was the first game in which they did NOT score the first goal, and they came back and won... SJ plays much better behind because they actually have something to play for.

Saying Nabokov is overrated is a ridiculous statement. He hardly gets any praise in the first place, but look at what he's doing. Look at all the goals he's let in in the first round... They've either been deflections off his own players, giveaways to a player right in the slot (from his teammates not him) or goals he's been screened on from the Dallas PP. The only goal in my opinion that should NOT have gone in was that Ribeiro goal from behind the net.

SJ's players peak at different times, and that's a big issue. Marleau and Michalek have all of SJ's goals this series, except for one by Cheechoo. Where are Pavelski, Thornton, Campbell and Clowe? SJ IS one of the deepest teams in the league but only one or two lines show up per night. No coincidence that when three or all of them do, they win.

Despite ALL of this, I see a SJ win tonight. They will use the crowd as motivation and they need it. I know they didn't win there in games 1 and 2, but they're out to make this an interesting series. As long as they keep the puck away from Turco on the dump-ins like they did in game 4 and they don't make brutal mental mistakes, a win will come no problem.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  17:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, who just posted?? Who's this guy???

San Jose to this point has not really played the way they did in the reg season. I watched every game of the Calgary series and only the 2nd period of the 7th game did they really play they way they can.

I wouldn't disagree that they win tonight, but can they win the next two after that???
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  17:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha :P

Yes they CAN. That's the thing, they can but it all depends on how they play. If they get a lead and lay back practically waiting for Dallas to come back then they will lose. If they play physically like they did in the first period of game 4, ALL GAME LONG then I guarantee they will win. The real SJ team could sweep anyone from the East in the Cup final if they wanted to, but the TEAM has to step up, forget just Michalek and Marleau.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  19:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that Babs I think we need the police, this must be identity fraud!

So about the series, the Sharks are getting outplayed physically, and skill wise. Where the hell is Joe Thornton? He in't producing at all, same with Marleau, Cheechoo and Michalek.

The worst plauer on the Sharks is by far Christian Erhoff. Too many giveaways, shying away from physical play and playing bad positionally is no way fr a defenceman to behave. Guys are getting past him like he's a pylon. He needs to step up, as do all the Sharks, or their series is over tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  19:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still believe that my Sharks can do the improbable.

As LF reffered to, the Sharks will only make a push if Big Joe can rise up and LEAD his team not only in leadership but in points aswell. Nabokov has been average, Not great-Not bad.

Bottom line: STEP UP YOUR GAME!!!

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  21:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sharks are making it very interesting. Can you ask for more from JR? I mean he makes a beautiful feed to Campbell which ties the game and then he throws two big body checks that really gets the Sharks into it. And then little Joe scored the game winner. If the Sharks can play the way they did in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd they could make the big come back.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6677
( )

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  22:21:10  Reply with Quote
Well the Stars certainly have a rcent history of blowing series leads in the playoffs, I think twice blowing 3-1 series leads to Colorado.

I would laugh and laugh if the Stars lost the series after some people out there were clammering for respect for the Stars and not only had them eliminating the Sharks but were already claiming they would upset the Red Wings.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  22:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will almost claim that I called it:

quote:
SJ plays much better behind because they actually have something to play for.

Sure enough they went down 2-0, and needed to up their game to come back, and that they did.

quote:
Marleau and Michalek have all of SJ's goals this series, except for one by Cheechoo. Where are Pavelski, Thornton, Campbell and Clowe?

Thornton set up Michalek for the first goal on a beautiful feed. Campbell scored the GTG on a rocket top-corner shot. Pavelski scored the OT GWG on another top-corner beauty. Three guys that needed to step up did, and look they won.

quote:
Despite ALL of this, I see a SJ win tonight.

Pretty self-explanatory.

SJ in 7.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  22:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and I want to address it now because I know it will come up... Yes Morrow's first disallowed goal should have counted. I can see where there WOULD BE a kicking motion, but like Bob McKenzie implied the definition of a kicking motion is such a grey area that calls like these can go either way. To Dallas fans I say suck it up because Marleau's disallowed goal in game 4 should have counted, that was even worse.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6677
( )

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  22:33:17  Reply with Quote
I looked it up, Dallas actually did not blow 3-1 series leads recently but they had lost 6 of 8 overtime games in their three previous playoffs and got owned twice by Colorado 4 games to 1.

http://stars.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=NHLPage&bcid=sta_playoffs-2000
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  07:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We should of had that win last night Morrows first goal should of counted and I'm really surprised that they didnt't call it a goal. Anyway how about JR last night through a couple big hits and a great pass to Campbell to set up the goal to tie the game. Maybe JR does have a couple more years in him. Dallas will still finish the Sharks off though in game 6.

Go Stars!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  07:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say Dallas takes it in big D on Sunday with an awesome performance by Turco. Enough hasn't been said about his solid play between the pipes, and I think the key to the whole series is Turco outplaying Nabakov, when all is said and done.

San Jose is deep, but without Thornton playing like the superstar leader, I don't see it happening. He could surprise me, but frankly, I doubt it . . . prediction: DAL 4 - SJ 0 with two late goals and an empty netter.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  17:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see this one ended the way it did. San Jose didn't deserve to move on. That team is never going to go farther than they have this year with Marleau and Thornton leading it. If you see your leaders showing up every other game it's hardly going to inspire you to play. I felt bad for Roenick though. Ehrhoff should be sent to the minors.

I'm really impressed with the Morrow, Ribeiro and Lehtinen line. Those guys play incredibly well together. They make fantastic passing plays and always seem to know where the others are. It looks like Ribeiro is just coming into his own now. Smart, talented player. Watch out for him next season. I bet he has his best season.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page