Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Forum Rules and Announcements
 SERVER UPGRADE 2 - PLEASE READ! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  17:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. We're going to be doing some upgrades to our servers today (April 29, 08) so we will experience a short amount of downtime at approximately 2:30pm PST. It shouldn't last more than 15 minutes however.

Stay tuned here for updates. Cheers!

Guest4043
( )

Posted - 04/28/2008 :  22:09:23  Reply with Quote
Thanks admin,

keep up the good work, I'm sure it ain't easy. VIVA LA FREE SITE!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  10:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok we have ALSO implemented some dramatic code changes to the hockey pool manager that should speed it up.

For example, a typical processing time for the batch run (the night time calculations of the pool stats) is 2 to 2.5 hours. A fast one is about 1. 5 hours. Last night it was done in 42 minutes! So we're happy with this. We're also hoping that the code changes will alleviate the processing load that cause the system to choke on the calculations (causing those once or twice a week REALLY LONG batch runs - ie: last Saturday morning)

Don't forget that we're also doing a server upgrade today and we'll experience about 15 minutes of down time at the site. This is a memory upgrade and will give us 4x the RAM. This will take place at approximately 2:30 pm PST.

Keep your eyes on this post for updates please.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9536
( )

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  10:56:11  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the upgrades admin. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  15:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so we just shut the site down for 15 minutes 2:46 to 3:01pm PST to do the RAM upgrade.

Tonight is the big test. We're optimistic that between the Server upgrade and the code changes we've solved this performance problem.

Stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4466
( )

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  01:32:28  Reply with Quote
Wow, superfast upgrades the last two nights, muuuuch better, nice work.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4466
( )

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  01:33:06  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4466

Wow, superfast upgrades the last two nights, muuuuch better, nice work.

should be "updates" not "upgrades"

:)
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  01:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks 4466. Yes this morning's updates took only 35 minutes. Even faster than last night's 42 mins. So we're optimistic that between the programming logic changes and the server upgrade we've beat this problem. But the true test is to go a full week's cycle without the "gremlin" showing up. We're two days in now.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  01:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EVERYONE...We've planned 15 minutes more of downtime. Today at 2:30 pm PST (April 30) we'll be shutting down briefly to do one more upgrade which should again increase the site performance.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  11:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember 2:30pm today (Wednesday) we're going to be down for 15 minutes while we do another server upgrade.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  15:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The RAM upgrade is complete and obviously very successful! The site is quite fast! As usual we will continue to monitor the performance of the web site and make adjustments as necessary. Amd we will be porting our site to even faster servers in the summer in preparation for the 08/09 regular season.

As I mentioned in previous posts in this thread, we'll also be watching to see if the programming changes we made have truly thwarted the bugs causing the long batch runs. We believe they have.

Thank you all for your patience while we sorted out the issues!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9672
( )

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  19:26:04  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

Hello everyone. We're going to be doing some upgrades to our servers today (April 29, 08) so we will experience a short amount of downtime at approximately 2:30pm PST. It shouldn't last more than 15 minutes however.

Great job guys and gals. Keep this handy for those clowns who complain that it took 10 extra hours to update some numbers for their poolies. Some people just like to complain I guess. This is my favorite type of pool admin site. FREE.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  00:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

The batch run was completed today (Thursday morning) at 12:39am. So 34 minutes. That's 1 minute faster than last night! heehee! Every little bit counts right! So 3 days in and all is well. 4 more test days to go.

I've noticed that the site loading speed has dramatically improved. Very fast! I'd like to hear what other people have noticed. Please provide a little feedback if anyone has the chance. Much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6578
( )

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  01:27:25  Reply with Quote
Giddy up!!! Same guest from above, looks good! At times, I have been outspoken about the slow updates, so it is only fair I give praise too!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6578
( )

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  01:28:10  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6578

Giddy up!!! Same guest from above, looks good! At times, I have been outspoken about the slow updates, so it is only fair I give praise too!

Guest 4466 that is.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6578
( )

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  07:02:09  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9672

quote:
Originally posted by admin

Great job guys and gals. Keep this handy for those clowns who complain that it took 10 extra hours to update some numbers for their poolies. Some people just like to complain I guess. This is my favorite type of pool admin site. FREE.

If you are going to post anonymously than please do not insult people,
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  00:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well day 4 of our 7 day test after server and programming upgrades has proved to be very positive. The batch run was completed in only 35 minutes and the site is maintaining excellent speed!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4435
( )

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  22:49:40  Reply with Quote
This site kicks ass! It's been really really fast! And my stats have been perfectly accurate - excpt i'm losing in my pool lol!

I thought there was a problem with my goalie stats at first but it turns out that i didn't set up points for OT WINS. ooooops! but that was easy to fix. fixed now and it's good. good job pickuphockey. please keep this site free!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  10:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 5 of 7 and the batch run was completed in 38 minutes! Another success! 2 days of testing remaining.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  09:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 6 of the 7 day monitoring and the stats update batch run was completed in 38 minutes. All is well!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The final testing/monitoring day has passed. And it was a huge success too! Again the batch run was completed in just 38 minutes! So we are officially calling this issue CLOSED! Thanks for everyone's feedback and patience while we resolved the issue.

Please note for next season we will be doing many more enhancements including further server upgrades, and new software features that have been requested by our users.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page