Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Lecavalier Gradually Works His Way Back Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4680
( )

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  18:58:15  Reply with Quote
Daily trips to the rink are a part of Vinny Lecavalier's everyday life during the winter. But summer trips for Lecavalier are supposed to be reserved for leisurely jaunts to exotic locales, not the mundane grind of visits to the trainer's room.

This summer, however, Lecavalier had to cancel his travel plans and focus his time and energy on getting back in top form for his return to the rink.

For the past month, Lecavalier has been in the Lightning medical room with assistant medical trainer Jason Serbus. Since having surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder on April 15, Lecavalier has been heading to the rink six times a week, working to strengthen the shoulder. He was injured April 3 in Washington, separating the shoulder on a hit by the Capitals' Matt Cooke.

After keeping his arm in a sling for about five weeks, Lecavalier has been working to regain his strength by doing routine tasks.

"The first two or three weeks is really, really tough," Lecavalier said. "Right now, it's feeling a lot better, just because I'm moving it every day. Just from writing something down or picking something up, trying to build up the muscle, it's really starting to get a little bit stronger.

"It's feeling good, it's getting there, but there is still a long road ahead."

The standard recovery from a labrum tear is 12 to 15 weeks, but Serbus said it depends on the individual.

"He's progressed as we hoped and he's right on track to date," Serbus said. "We're very happy with his progress. Vinny has been working hard."

Perhaps the biggest obstacle isn't physical, but mental.

Lecavalier, who recently celebrated his 28th birthday, has never had extensive surgery or rehabilitation. Getting past some of the doubts is a test, especially when following a rehab program that is all about taking small steps toward getting back to normal.

"I was a little scared before they told me it was going to be 100 percent healthy after rehab, I wasn't really sure. I know some guys come back from shoulders and it's not the same," Lecavalier said. "But when they told me that I'd be at 100 percent or 95 percent, right away I felt better. I'm confident in getting back to what I need to do and doing my thing."

Lecavalier is scheduled to see James Andrews, who performed the surgery, in Alabama in the next 7 to 10 days. After that, he hopes to return to Montreal to spend time with friends and family while continuing his workouts this summer. What hasn't been determined is whether or not he will undergo an arthroscopic procedure on his right wrist, which had been scheduled before he hurt his shoulder.

Although he will listen to medical advice, he is leaning toward not having the wrist surgery this summer.

"With the way everything is going, I think it's more important to take care of the major surgery," he said. "I'm obviously not a doctor or trainer and might not know everything about it - maybe we'll do it. But the way it is right now, I feel we should just worry about my shoulder."

Lecavalier has been joined in the trainer's room this offseason by defenseman Paul Ranger, who had the same procedure by Andrews a week after Lecavalier. Serbus said Ranger's surgery was a bit more extensive, but his rehab is on track. Serbus said Lecavalier and Ranger are on track to be ready for the start training camp in September.

Center Jeff Halpern also will soon be undergoing rehabilitation after he has reconstructive knee surgery to repair a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Serbus said Halpern is waiting for a sprained medial collateral ligament to heal before a surgery date is set.

GERMANY BOUND: The Lightning are set to play an exhibition game against German league champion Eisbaren Berlin in the German capital, likely on Sept. 27, a week before starting the regular season against the Rangers in Prague, Czech Republic, Oct. 4-5.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page