Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Guest Guru Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  17:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with most of the placements on your draft list but with the exception of Luke Schenn. I think he is fairly underated and I could see him going before the #9 spot. Besides does Nashville really even need another solid d-man? Or is it time to focus on the offence.

Just a quick note: In the post previous to mine I noticed that it was made by somebody named Beans.15 and not the usual Beans15. Beans.15 seems to only have 2 posts aswell. Is this a new account for Beans15 or is it somebody trying to be funny and trying to copy/tamper with our most respected poster?

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  19:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6830

Yes BTBD I did it based on what I think each team will pick. BTW, I could see Columbus taking a defenseman with their 1st because they don't have one in their system. Piertrangelo fits in nicely, and Gardnier would also help stabalize their defensive prospect needs. Gor clarification, the Jackets are going to trade either their 2nd or 3rd pick to the Pens for rights to negotiate with Ryan Malone, but neither of thier 1st will be involved.

I've heard to the contrary...it will definitely be 2 picks and it will definitely include first rounders.

Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  19:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

I agree with most of the placements on your draft list but with the exception of Luke Schenn. I think he is fairly underated and I could see him going before the #9 spot. Besides does Nashville really even need another solid d-man? Or is it time to focus on the offence.

Just a quick note: In the post previous to mine I noticed that it was made by somebody named Beans.15 and not the usual Beans15. Beans.15 seems to only have 2 posts aswell. Is this a new account for Beans15 or is it somebody trying to be funny and trying to copy/tamper with our most respected poster?

Good eye! I was wondering why the heck he would be saying that!! LOL!!

Pranksters...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  21:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is definately an imposter in the mix. But we all know that imitation is the best form of flattery.

You can tell the difference between the real Beans and the fake one. Just look for insight and knowledge. If it's there, it's the real Beans. If not, it's just a fake!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8372
( )

Posted - 06/18/2008 :  08:45:53  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5372

Some reason Alex's blog is locked to members only. That's fine I'll highjack this one.

In response to dominating athletes in their sport, I present to you two names. The first is fairly obscure but he is dominant nonetheless. His name is Khan. I don't know the first name (there were a couple of Khan at the time that were up there), but he plays squash about 10-15 years ago.

For a less obscure athlete, I present to you Edwin Moses. 400+ consecutive races won in the hurdles (I believe he did it in the 400m but also was a force in the 110m). I mean 400+ consecutive races over 10 years. Can you imagine Tiger winning 400 consecutive tourneys? When Moses raced, everybody was literally aiming for second.

As for comparing to team sports, please reconsider Pele. I mean this is a guy that warring nations stopped fighting just to watch him play. Most dominant and influential team player ever in the 1900s to now is Pele, without a doubt.

Jahangir Khan in early to mid 80s. 555 consecutive wins within 5 years and 8 months. His feat in a tourney in 82 was most impressive where he did not lose a single point. Talk about dominant. He was still dominant afterwards but Janser Khan's rise put them both neck and neck until the mid 90s.

Moses "only" won 122 consecutive races but it was over 10 years.

Please don't mention a drug addict jerk off like Argentinian footballer in the same breath as Pele. That's insulting to Pele's name. Might as well compare Dub-yah Bush to Ganhdi as great world leaders.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  06:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else heard any of these 'rumours'....most of these may affect the draft:

--Anaheim is interested in either trading up or down at the draft

--There is talk that LA is considering trading away their 2nd overall pick

--Sounds like Florida will be trading away Jokkinen

--Pittsburgh is rumoured to have offered Sykora a 7 year, $50M++ contract

--Chiarelli has said that the Bruins' brass has instructed him to try and trade for 2nd rounders for cheap

--from the Governor's meetings: the sales of both the Oilers and the Lightning have been approved

--Raycroft to Ottawa for draft picks in this year's draft

--Toronto to buy out McCabe and/or Blake??

--contract talks with Bryce Salvador break down, his agent is not concerned though - he's confident they'll get a deal done in time

--the Players Association is looking to end this CBA without the optional extension because they are so dissatisfied with it

Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  07:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard most of those except for the one Sykora 7years/50 mill!!!!
They would have to be crazy, this guy is decent hockey player but can go from a good year right back to a bad one. But i doubt it would go through anyway they dont have the money.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  12:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

Has anyone else heard any of these 'rumours'....most of these may affect the draft:

--Chiarelli has said that the Bruins' brass has instructed him to try and trade for 2nd rounders for cheap

--from the Governor's meetings: the sales of both the Oilers and the Lightning have been approved

--contract talks with Bryce Salvador break down, his agent is not concerned though - he's confident they'll get a deal done in time

--the Players Association is looking to end this CBA without the optional extension because they are so dissatisfied with it

the raycroft to ottwa i suggested earlier on in this thread,,,,, but to be hoest i have herd or read of no such rumor so it may be one i started and i'm close to never right!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2008 :  18:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:

the raycroft to ottwa i suggested earlier on in this thread,,,,, but to be hoest i have herd or read of no such rumor so it may be one i started and i'm close to never right!

Pasty

LOL!! I'm pretty sure I saw this one (Raycroft) in the Hockey News

Sykora vehemently denies his rumour. I too think it is outrageous.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6830
( )

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  11:25:51  Reply with Quote
I'm back for another post. The most popular guest on pickuphockey (or member, but I'm not LF101 for the time being anymore) is here to talk hockey....draft style.

Yesterday Pierre McQuire did his NHL Mock Draft. I am pickuphockey's version of McQuire, so I did my own mock draft, as seen in my next post. Below are the similarities and differences between my picks and his.

- 1 and 2 were right but at #3 we went a different way. Nikita Filitov is commited to playing in North America next year and what better mentor could there be then Ilya Kovalchuk. Filatov would bring great offensive depth and create a lethal scoring tandem. Defense is also one of their top needs so McQuire's pick of Bogosian is viable. Both strong picks at #3.

- Islanders need offense badly, so offense would be their main priority I would think. I have Boedeker going to them, he has Filatov. If I didn't have Filitov picked for Atlanta I would make the same choice.

- MQ - Shenn 6th. GG - Shenn 9th. There have been some questions regarding Shenn's defensive abilities. Although a big hitter he sometimes leaves his poition too much, which causes odd man rushes the other way. I could see Shenn going at 9th, but that may be my mistake. He could go sooner.

- LEAFS: First canadian team on the docket, i have Leafs picking Cody Hodgson, a centre from Brampton. I think if Luck Shenn or especially either Nikita Filitov or Mikkel Boedeker is available the Leafs could take one of them before Hodgson, but with the offense in shambles Hogeson may be the guy if Boedeker or Filitov is taken earlier.

- Biggest Drop - I have Luca Sbisa going 10th, but MQ has him dropping to 26th. It doesn't look to go down that much, but MQ has that billed. I guess we will see......

- CANUCKS: I have the Canucks going with the defenseman McQuire dropped Luca Sbisa, while he has Kyle Beach going Vancity's way. Sbisa had a good year in Lethbridge, and is a big, hard nosed bluliner that has the possibility to fill the prospect hole left by Bourdon. Beach is said to have character issues, and may be a team distraction like Emery on Ottawa (he was placed on waivers today).

- FLAMES and SENATORS: I think that defenseive depth in the form of Tyler Cuma would be beneficial to the Flames, but MQ has him a spot earkier to Boston. According to MQ Flames get Joe Coleburn. I pick Sens to get a goalie, Chet Pickard, but MQ has Nashville picking him. I don't understand that one as much, but if available the Sens will pick Pickard. As of now MQ makes another odd pick, selecting Josh Bailey fr the Sens.

- OILERS: Both MQ abnd myself agree on something for the Oilers....they need offense. Both agree that Shremp isn't going to be as good as they once thought, so offense would be of great assistance to them. He has them picking Jordan Eberle, but Mattias Tedenby is the guy the Oilers should get .Tendeby has great offensive ability and is a spedster. I could see this kid being great in the City of Former Champions.

- CANADIENS: Anton Gustafsson from Sweden is my wildcard, and I think thta this guy is one of the great players that may slip down. The Habs would love this guy....he's fast, great with the puck and is a solid 2 way defenseman. MQ has Nicolas Dechamps getting picked, but I say no way. Gustafsson is the way to go.

Recap of Canadian Teams:

GG:
7- Cody Hodgson, C (TOR)
10- Luca Sbisa, D (VAN)
17- Tyler Cuma, D (CGY)
18- Chet Pickard, G (OTT)
22- Mattias Tedenby, LW (EDM)
25- Anton Gustafsson, D (MTL)

MQ:
7. TOR Mikkel Boedker, RW
10. VAN Kyle Beach, C
17. CGY Joe Colborne, LW
18. OTT Josh Bailey, C
25. MTL Nicolas Deschamps, C

Have fun watching the draft. Let's hope those Canadian teams do well.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  03:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although after the fact, I felt that this was an excellently delivered post, Guru. I didn't have the time to say so before I went to work tonight, so I wanted to say so now.And although I don't think any of your picks were actually correct, some of your observations certainly were. Again, keep in mind, it's extremely difficult to predict the draft - I've tried before. You certainly had some of the teams' thinking accurate!

What an interesting day - some teams did well with the cumulative result of their trades, and some teams seemed to go overboard to only slightly improve their position. Only years will tell us who the winners are.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6830
( )

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  13:15:56  Reply with Quote
June 24, 2008

Let the Mats Sundin soap opera begin again for it's yearly matinee, except this time there is a new twist.....Sundin may be headed to a different team. I'm person that is a true Sundin fan. This guy has been in the organization for years, has donned the captancy and been with the Leafs for what seams like forever. But these new reports of him leaving are pushing him closer to enemy lines then favouratism, and I can't help but wonder if Sundin isn't as great as I thought.

Sundin has been captain here for a long time, but he has never been with the team through really trying years. He came in the 1994-95 season, one year after the Leafs made the Conferenc Finals for two consecutive years. The Leafs first missed the playoffs post-lockout, and prior to that had always made the playoffs something like 10 consecutive years. Sundin was never here for any trying years, nor did he ever lead us to playoff success. He hasn't been in the 90+ point range for a while either. So why do we love him? Because he's our captain. In my mind thats bulls***.

For a guy who always says he will do the best for the team, for a guy who pledges he bleeds blue and white for life, how could he even consider leaving without giving the Leafs anything back in return. If he truly cared he would have left at the trade deadline to a contender and given the Leafs something that they truly needed.....a future. If he leaves now then, I'm sorry, but I'm burning him from Leafs Lore. This guy says he is all for the team and will do whatever is best for the Maple Leafs, but that could all be cast as a lie now. To even think about leaving AFTER you could have granted the Leafs something in return is just selfish. Sorry, but best captain has to be Doug Gilmour now. No question.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  14:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the way it looks to me too. This is the LAST thing he should do...if you're staying, then stay - but if you're leaving then let us trade you for some assets at least!
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  00:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Specifically, I just don't think Dallas would ever sign Tverdovsky in a million years. Also, Eriksson is going to sign for a lot more than 750k/year. He will get a substantial raise after a great performance this year. Nothing personal for, or against, these guys - it's just business.

Eriksson just signed for 3.2 mil over 2 seasons...a fairly cheap price but a substantial raise none-the-less.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6830
( )

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  06:45:08  Reply with Quote
June 29th, 2008

The return of the Lightning to prominence is steadily on the rise. From a new management group to the 1st overall pick, Tampa Bay is poised to return to being a prominent NHL franchise in at least 2 years time.

It's clear that the Bolts are a changing infrastructure, especially with the recent acquisitions of negotiating rights to Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts. It's still to be seen to whether they will sign, but this is a big step up from a team that was non-existent last year during the Free Agent Frenzy, and a sign of improvement. If the Lightning are able to sign Malone and/or Roberts, the 4th they gave up (3rd because both have signed) will be worth it.

Also consider the fact that the Lighting have a whooping 21 mil free in cap space. This means that the Lightning should garner some attention, and have the resources necessary to sign or trade for team depth, especially a goalie. All in all, the Lightning are on the up rise, and Florida may never see a better team.
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  20:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Tampa has signed Malone and Roberts. They also have just traded Minnesota for the rights to Brian Rolston. If they can sign him, and even if they can't they are going to be very good. They just need to maybe build up their defence a bit.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  23:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!! Looks like they will be following the Philly blueprint for the basement-to-contender single season turnaround!!

Could this really happen two years in a row in the new NHL?
Go to Top of Page

Guest8852
( )

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  15:44:27  Reply with Quote
check out the topic 'guest guru - bring it on' like this he or she offers good opinions and gets the brain thinking and the chat going
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page