Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Bertuzzi?? Who'd want him... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  19:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Alex's blog got me thinking, as it alway does ,

If you could get Todd Bertuzzi to sign up for your team for say, 1.5 mil, with bonuses for incentives for higher pay, along with remaining amount Anaheim owes, would you take him, or not?

Please try and respond with some thought and not just lash out emotionally.

Personally, I think if you could get him for that kind of a deal, you'd be foolish if you didn't. In a decent year, with decent linemates, he's still got the ability to score 30+. He's a huge presence in front of the net, and he has experience, some if it even good .

I mentioned this on another thread, but I could see him playing wing for a Crosby or Malkin, and having a nice tidy comeback year...who knows

Anyways, what do others think?

Edited by - fat_elvis_rocked on 06/30/2008 19:18:02

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  12:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's porcelain, he no longer has hands soft enough to net 30 goals, his body can't take the punishment of picking up the garbage in front of the net, at best you might get 40-50 games out of him, and his own buddy/protector bought him out (maybe he knows something!).
So, no, I don't think I would even want him for $1.5M. I would much rather lure a great leader and plugger like Mike Keane off of the Moose for $1.5M.
I would possibly even rather have Ray Emery for $1.5M except that I HATE dressing room headaches like him.
I just think Bertie is done.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  13:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd definitely take Bert for $1.5. At that price he's worth the risk (sore back) Sorry Pickles, at only 33, Bertuzzi can definitely reach the 30 goal mark. But at that price if he only hit the 20 goal mark, that's ok too. With his huge potential upside for for very little financial risk, he'd be on my team in a heartbeat!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy12
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  13:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Leafs should go and take a shot at him with a one year deal and put him on the 3rd, 2nd, or even first line depending on who else they get.

[IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x49/Jeremy12_24/spezza_sig21.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

Guest9536
( )

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  13:45:36  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

at best you might get 40-50 games out of him

he played 68 games this year, his first full return year. Plus 6 playoff games. So I'm not sure where you got your numbers from?
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  22:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

I'd definitely take Bert for $1.5. At that price he's worth the risk (sore back) Sorry Pickles, at only 33, Bertuzzi can definitely reach the 30 goal mark. But at that price if he only hit the 20 goal mark, that's ok too. With his huge potential upside for for very little financial risk, he'd be on my team in a heartbeat!

Potential upside??? There is no more "upside" with this guy, his upside has gone by. For 1.5, sure, he's worth the risk to some. But there's no way this guy gets 30+ goals ever again.

"he played 68 games this year, his first full return year. Plus 6 playoff games. So I'm not sure where you got your numbers from?"

What numbers? Where did I get what numbers from? I haven't quoted any stats, so I'm not sure what you are asking me. I did, however, speculate that I do not believe that he will play much more than 40-50 games this year, so if your asking me why I think this, clearly it is just my opinion. I didn't go into the future and get these numbers.

Don't forget, he was picked up by his FRIEND for this past year, and his FRIEND just bought him out. Very interesting....
I wouldn't be surprised if he signed somewhere for $750k.

(By the way, he scored 14 goals in 68 games this year I'm unconvinced that he will double this)
Go to Top of Page

Guest8852
( )

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  16:06:33  Reply with Quote
The Calgary Flames need a player for their second line.
I think he would be a good fit.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  17:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although bert is a shadow of his former self, he still brings an edge to your lineup, and he will not be moved easily by D-men. He will get 50+ points in a second line role, while bringing valuble experience to your line up. he is poised for a bounce back year, after the moore incident, and a poor last season, just when everyone gives up on him hell come back strong
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  00:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bert seems to be shell-shocked. He never hits the way he used to. He is not as effective if he isn't playing his rough style of game. I hope he gets it back but it will be hard after doing something so stupid. I would take him and encourage him to be a better player. I think he can easily have a 20+ goal season.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page

wyntyre
Rookie

Canada
185 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  11:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well...the two flames fans.....Berts a flame for 1.95 a year....personally...I'm a huge flames fan for the last 29 years....I don't like Bert....but at least now I got someone to hate and yell at on the team as much as I did with Nolan (the first half of the year) and Huselius (the last half of the year). Bertuzzi, Lombardi and either Nystrom or Glencross is not a bad second line.

Can't go...The Roads Are Dirty
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  12:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I think I like this deal. He'll fill in for Nolan in terms of grit and be even more effective. And he has the potential to fill in for Huselius in terms of scoring. I like the price too, $1.95 Million for 50+ points. Possible upside is massive in my opinion. (Pickles, I still stand by my statement that he has the potential to hit the 30 goal mark - although I'm happy at 20 with him ) I just hope he can stay healthy (back/head) That is the big factor. I really don't think we can write this guy off yet. Good move by the Flames!
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  15:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if he has a good season the flames will be laughing at all those teams that didnt sign him, and he has a legidment chance of doing taht, being in a situation for an offensive role, keenans his coach again, and he is in better shape than last year.

If he sucks well the flames will chuck up the 2 mil big deal.

Good move upside is great, faliure doesnt really have that much problems.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  20:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I certainly hope he puts up 30 goals for my Flames....but I dread the other possibilities...
Go to Top of Page

wyntyre
Rookie

Canada
185 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  23:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if he plays 30 games.....welcome to glass back boy.....but if gary roberts came back...why not BERT! I still hate him...and it has nothin' to do with Mrs Moore!
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  16:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have confidence that he will get at least 30
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  21:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never really seen this guy as an elite player. Sure, the contract isn't worth a whole lot so for a couple of million, why not. However, I can't see him getting 30 or more.

The guy has 240 career goals in 793 games. That's a stratospheric .3 goals/game. If he hits his career average, and plays all 82 games, he will end up around 25 goals. In his 11 year career, he has only broken the 30 goal plateau twice. And in the past three years he has only played 83 games.

I don't see 30 out of him. Honestly, I would be surprised at 20. But, I have been surprised before.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  22:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see him with a fifty point season and that is good enough for a second line player.
He is alot better then Owen Nolan
And hes alot cheaper too.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  06:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see Bertuzzi getting more than 40 points this season, or playing more than 50 games.

I think he was an elite player at one time, a very short time; but it came and went quickly, and now he is a shadow of his former self. I would argue that he is most certainly not better than Owen Nolan at this time.

Prediction: 11 goals, 10 assists, 45 games.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  10:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no way owen nolanis worth almost 3 million
32 points last year hes old and its a two year deal
so thats almost a million dollars for 10 points
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  08:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bertuzzi will be a sleeper pick in all pools, last year was the first year since his Islander days that he didn't come close to PPG, the way that Calgary plays I think he will be a great fit.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  10:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, since Slozo started teh predictions I'll jump in, I'm going the other way, I think he'll have a hell of a season:

68 games with 33 goals and 42 assists. What the hell, give him 77 PIMs too! haha!

He's going to get a lot of icetime in Calgary.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  11:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, since Slozo started teh predictions I'll jump in, I'm going the other way, I think he'll have a hell of a season:

68 games with 33 goals and 42 assists. What the hell, give him 77 PIMs too! haha!

Okay, I'll go totally the other way:

3 GP, 0Pts, announces retirement before the New Year!

Now if you take the average between my and Leigh's predictions...you might have something.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  16:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think with good second line ice, power play time, and various shifts with iginla he will be over the 60 point mark. Keenan loves this type of player, and he plays calgary's style.

67 GP 31 Goals 33 Assists
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  17:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must chime in as well.

His back will nag him from time to time through the season. Also, Keenan is know it make a player ride the pines if he is not producing.

61 games - 16 goals - 21 assists - 37 points.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  11:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:

Okay, I'll go totally the other way:

3 GP, 0Pts, announces retirement before the New Year!

Now if you take the average between my and Leigh's predictions...you might have something.

HAHAHA!!!! nice one Pickles!

Ok so I may be a little hopeful...afterall they are my team. But to be completely realistic I truly believe he will crack 20 goals and probably in the 25 range. Yes I'm hopeful for 30 but what Flames fan isn't.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this Flames fan has his fingers crossed for best too!

I'm thinking PP time...I'm thinking parked in front of opposing goalies drawing penalties...I'm thinking more ice time than expected due to a team without a lot of forward depth...I'm thinking an improvement over Nolan....I'm thinking of no pressure or expectations resulting in a surprising season...
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  01:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't forget this is a guy Iginla specificly asked to play with, he may see a lot of time as a first liner next to iginla at the begining of the season, if he produces he will stay there,, and personally i think even i could produce next to mr. Iginla hence my prediction 31 goals 22 assist 53 points

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest4043
( )

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  21:44:39  Reply with Quote
29 goals and 32 assists - 61 points. and he'll play major PP time in the 58 games he's going to be in.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  12:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im gonna buy a bertuzzi jersey and wear it around town just to piss people off
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts