Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 What if Crosby was cheating? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  14:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was pondering about the steroid use in the NHL. And after hearing from a very reliable source, I now know that steroids are used in the NHL. The source says that in the NHL, steroid use is very common. And that the only case I remember with someone getting caught is Sean Hill but as the source says there is a lot more players who do. Then I thought, what if Sidney Crosby was caught using steroids. Would the NHL suspend their poster boy? Would they let the organization deal with it? Would they just fine the kid? Will they say "Quit doing that" and act like it never happened?

Please, give me some of your thoughts about this.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!

Edited by - PainTrain on 07/30/2008 10:38:31

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  14:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I must say this would rank in the top 5 topics created in the last six months or so, great, great creativity there Pain Train! First of all let me start off by saying that Crosby would NEVER juice However, we are talking hypothetically, and this is what I believe would happen.

A) The NHL, and the fanbase, would never believe Crosby did steroids. An investigation would be put forward to try to find proof that he was framed, since that would be the most logical assumption if tomorrow he tested positive. When you're that good, many people are jealous of you.

B) Barring it isn't beyond a ''reasonable doubt'' to believe he cheated, the NHL would suspend him. Gary Betman is faced with two options, and he isn't an idiot. Either he suspends the Kid, which is an embarassment to the league, or does nothing, which causes publlc outcry, embarasses the league even further, and ends up costing him his job. As sad and difficult as it would be for him to be the one that kicked our star out of the game, he would do it because he isn't dumb. I firmly believe that.

As an aside, not a very wise more for xxxxxxxx, a marginal NHL player, to be playing the role of the ''rat.'' I'm guessing he's a buddy of yours, PainTrain, but he shouldn't be putting himself in jeapordy by being the ''new kid'' who tattles on the cheaters. Not a street smart move by any means. Does anyone agree with me on this or is it a non-issue?

Proudly Celebrating Over 50 Blogs and Counting

Edited by - willus3 on 07/27/2008 21:26:10
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  15:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i created a poll about steroids in the nhl about 6 months ago when the Mitchell report came out (a independent report done on MLB Steroid use...) i mentioned in that post in order to avoid this embarrassment bettman would be wise to have a similar report done now,, during the off season fine every player involved but keep it discreet who was fined then have mandatory monthly drug test,,, therefore avoiding the problem by getting rid of it right away,

but on a side note if Crosby got caught doing the juice it would depend on how he handles it,, if he pull a Roger Clemens Deny deny deny or if he pulled a Andy Petitte yeah i did it, it was a mistake so what??

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  17:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paintrain I'm saying this because I like you, I really, really hope you had xxxxxxx's okay to post what he said to you. If not and you want it removed let me know.

Edited by - willus3 on 07/27/2008 21:27:02
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  21:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Willus. I'll just remove his name from what I said. Don't think it should be a big deal because this kid is one the nicest kids you'll ever meet but just in case. Thanks for the heads up Willus

Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  09:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i doubt crosby would ever do steroids. but i dont think he needs them anyway. and my guess is that they would barely do anything. the NHL will do anything to make sure nothing bad happens to their best player. you know the same reasons referees never called gretzky on any penalties.

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  11:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In any athletic endeavor there will be some participants that feel so threatened or so inadequate that they will do anything to get an edge. Hockey is an athletic endeavor so it is not spared this.
However, hockey is a speed sport where becoming unnaturally bulky is a clear detriment to your abilities. So this would limit the type of performance enhancing drugs (and blood strategies such as the "injecting" that runners and various cardio vascular related athletes took part in) that a hockey player might engage in.
This is why the late 80's and early 90's saw the Sudafed scandal hit the NHL. Something a little more 'speed' based. A couple of coffees would achieve the same effect...except for the necessary urinating as a result!
I am quite skeptical that steroid use is "quite common" in the NHL, unless by that one would mean "compared to normal societal levels". I offer that, compared to other sports, hockey's steroid use is one of the lowest.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  11:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NHL has a very clear Substance Abuse Policy which is completely endorsed by the NHLPA. It does not hide from any player. For those who don't know it:

First Offense - 20 game suspension w/o pay and mandatory referal into the NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse and Behavior Health Program

Second Offense - 60 game suspension

Third Offense - Perminant Suspension (however a player can ask for re-enstatement after two year).

The Policy is here if anyone would like to read it.

http://www.nhlpa.com/PerformanceEnhancing/index.asp

Bottom line, any play caught should and must be disciplined following the same guidelines. If you think of the players who have had the biggest news stories about Steriods it is the Superstars (Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Marian Jones, Ben Johnson, etc).

Crosby would not be exempt.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  16:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure the NHL would handle this as they would treat any other player. If Crosby were caught cheating I'm sure the IIHF, the NHL and d*** Pound would have a long look at steroids in the all of hockey in general. Testing would be frequent and often and I'm sure scrutiny would be brought upon other superstars that excel at the NHL level today.

In short, it's a mess. In long, its a very, very long mess. Luckily this is only hypothetical.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  10:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The current testing is pretty good???

10 teams get one random test some time between the start and end of the season.

10 teams get 2 tests

10 teams get three tests.

These means that each player on the roster is tested. So using 22 players on a roster, that means there are a total of 1,320 tests a year. Considering there were a little more than 800 players who played at least one game in the league last year, I would say that's a reasonable amount of testing.
Go to Top of Page

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  09:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is definitely a great topic and a great debate.

I say the leave the Penguins organization to deal with it, which might give him a three game suspension (slap on the wrist).

But really, I'm not sure, thats just a guess.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4519
( )

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  21:50:49  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

I was pondering about the steroid use in the NHL. And after hearing from a very reliable source, I now know that steroids are used in the NHL. The source says that in the NHL, steroid use is very common. And that the only case I remember with someone getting caught is Sean Hill but as the source says there is a lot more players who do. Then I thought, what if Sidney Crosby was caught using steroids. Would the NHL suspend their poster boy? Would they let the organization deal with it? Would they just fine the kid? Will they say "Quit doing that" and act like it never happened?

Please, give me some of your thoughts about this.

Purely hypothetical question. Reliable source...heh heh. If I had a nickel for every post I've read with this statement in it...lol.

If Sid got caught they would suspend him just like any other athelte
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  20:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reliable source is a player who plays in the NHL. He knows a lot of players obviously so he knows what they do. Pretty reliable to me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page