Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 can ovie do it again? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  21:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
we all know as of the 07-08 NHL season when ovechkin broke the 60 goal mark(ending the season with 65) he ended a wait since back when (correct me if im wrong) mario and jagr got 60+ in the same year.
my question is to you is can he do it again? or atleast lead the NHL in goals?

Leafsfan_94

Choices:

Yes
No
Not Sure

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2008 :  21:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my opinion is that ovechkin is the best scorer in the NHL and i think he can do it again.

but there are other candidates too. you never know he could get into a slump any time after the all-star break and fall of the face of the earth.

and some one else could out score him

such as

iginla
kovalchuk
lecavalier
heatley
selanne(if he comes back i havent heard anything about him...any help?)
crosby(possibly, but he is more of a playmaker)

but give me your opinion

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Guest8141
( )

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  10:11:04  Reply with Quote
I want to know why crosby has such a crappy shot. Is it just me or does it seem like he cant shoot the puck with any authority.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  12:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
crappy you mean in aim or just a crappy shot alltogether?
because hes slapshot may not be great but he also isnt very strong. his wrist shot i find very accurate and effective since he's well the best in the world at the moment

quote:
Originally posted by Guest8141

I want to know why crosby has such a crappy shot. Is it just me or does it seem like he cant shoot the puck with any authority.

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  13:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that Crosby's shot (or lack there of) is an indication on his goal scoring. He has 99 goals in 213 games. That's good for about a goal every two games. Pretty decent for a player with a weak shot.

To put in into perspective, that puts Crosby at the same goals per game as Luc Robataille. I know that Robatialle played a ton more games, but it's not too bad.

If Crosby keeps on his current pace, he will break the 500 goal mark in about 10 years. He'll be a strapping 31 year old 500 goal scorer.

That being said, if Ovechkin continues his pace, he will have 500 goals in about 6 more seasons. A strapping 28 year old 500 goal scoring.

However, that is highly unlikely. Consider that Mike Bossy, who is considered by many as the best pure goal scorer in history, had 9 consecutive 50+ goal seasons. Gretzky had 8, Brett Hull had 5. Not only is 50 goals far harder than many think, but it's even harder to do year over year.

Not only that, 60 goal seasons are very rare. Only 19 players have ever done it! Above that, only 8 players have got more than 1-60 goal season . Gretzky and Bossy each had 5, Esposito had 4, Hull had three.

If Ovechkin does it in this day an age, nothing less than amazing.
I don't think that Ovechkin will have more than 60 goals this year, but I can see him leading the league again.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  15:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He will at least lead the league in goals again. I believe that to be a safe assumption.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  15:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well yea he will for sure lead the league in goals.

well im kinda having second thoughts on him getting 60 again now tha other people are saynig he wont. but im goin to say its 50/50

quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

He will at least lead the league in goals again. I believe that to be a safe assumption.

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  10:50:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its between Ovie and Iggy, Kovalchuk just doesn't have the team

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  08:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my mind, Ovie thrives on playing with a team with young, inexperienced players. It gives him that mentality where if he doesn't make it happen, nothing will happen. My vote is yes, yes, yes!
Go to Top of Page

wingman
Top Prospect

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  08:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats priceless, people come on here and talk about how Crosby has a bad shot, hahahahaha, you have probly never even played a game of hockey, you have no clue.

Canucks blow
Go to Top of Page

LuonGod
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  10:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Backstom, Nylander and Semin will all improve from last year taking away some of the goals that A.O would have accumulted on the PP and also even strength. I think Ovechkin is good for 50 goals tops.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  15:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LuonGod

Backstom, Nylander and Semin will all improve from last year taking away some of the goals that A.O would have accumulted on the PP and also even strength. I think Ovechkin is good for 50 goals tops.

They also get better, giving him some playmaking help up front, Ovechkin won't have to do it all himself. This applies to Nylander and Backstrom anyway, well not really Nylander, since he's old, but he was injured last season. They will both rack up some serious assists, while Semin will probably play on another line, so he won't interfere with Ovechkin's production. I agree, he will take a dip in his goal total, but it won't be drastic, well, at least not for the reason that they've all gotten better.

Ellis or Renne....
ELLIS
Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9781
( )

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  06:33:12  Reply with Quote
ovechkin is horrible just look at his stats this year so you can agrre with me. he is very inconsitent
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  08:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your going to judge a guy who has been gettin over 40 goals a season in this short 3-4 years he's played in the NHL. and your saying hes bad just because the start of like the first 7 gamees hasnt gone good for him?

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9781

ovechkin is horrible just look at his stats this year so you can agrre with me. he is very inconsitent

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page