Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 What's wrong with my dream team? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  18:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was playing around tonight with the idea of an absolute dream team, no limits, no holds barred (ok except that it has to be with current players). This is what I came up with off the top of my head without looking deeply at stats.

Of course this is pretty subjective but I found two glaring problems. What do you think they are? (I'm sure there are more however)

Forwards:
1 - Ovechkin L - Crosby C - Alfredsson R
2 - Heatley L - Thornton C - Iginla R
3 - Zetterberg L - Datsyuk C - Gaborik R
4 - Kovalchuk L - Lecavalier C - St.Louis R

Defence:
Lidstrom - D
Phaneuf - D
Pronger - D
Chara - D
Campbell - D
Gonchar - D

Goalies:
Luongo G
Kipprusoff G

On the bus:
Nash L
Malkin C
Kovalev R
Brodeur G

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  21:09:56  Reply with Quote
Nagy is in the Russian Superleague?
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  01:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Nagy is in Russia. (Although I have also seen it reported to be Severstal Cherepovets of the Czech league)

Now, on to the topic at hand...

Clearly you don't have any bona fide tough guys or policemen on the roster, which is still necessary, whether it's an Avery-type or a Brashear-type. LeCavalier and Iginla are your toughest two forwards...but you don't want them trying to score from the box.

Secondly, all your D are left-handed shots. This has it's inherent problems.

Thirdly, Brodeur is the #1starter on any and every all-world/christmas wish/dream team/fantasy league/etc etc roster of today

Also, it could be argued that Gaborik is a little porcelain.

This is about the best imaginable team of today though, right? Am I missing something? Green instead of Gonchar maybe?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  06:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't feel so much you need a tough guy i think Nash should be in the lineup and a guy like Geztlaf but i dont want to get into players,,,, the tough guy thing as i said non issue your problem is you have 4 first lines.,.... you need checkers role players all the talent in the world will do you no good if you cant check,,, i'd say get shane doan jordan staal and mike richards in there to be a checking line of course those three are no slouch in the offensive department either but they are also terrific role players,,,, and no brodeur is not the dream goalie and is rightfully on the bus and not in this lineup

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  07:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alfredson?

I really like that Heatly/Thornton/Iginla line....
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  10:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Pickles, You absolutely nailed one of them:

All the defensemen are lefties! I couldn't believe it when I was looking. I thought for sure one of them would be a right handed shot...but to my dismay, that wasn't the case. You lefties should be proud! This is a serious problem for obvious reasons. So who do you axe and who do you put in instead?
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  12:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

,,,, and no brodeur is not the dream goalie and is rightfully on the bus and not in this lineup

Pasty

wrong-o just look at the numbers and track record...compare him to any goalie's abilities or stats.

done.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  13:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree that Brodeur is the goalie that would be the starter on any dream team today. Unless the person choosing has a hate-on for old Fatso of a completely fan of another goalie (in this case Leigh is a Calgary fan so I can understand Kipper being on the team.)

Bottom line, Brodeur is one of the top 5 goalies of all time and the best out there today.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  13:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Bottom line, Brodeur is one of the top 5 goalies of all time and the best out there today.

That's a bold statement Beans. Are you sure about that?
I don't want to hijack Leigh's thread. Maybe it's worth it;s own thread?
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  14:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brent Burns and Mike Green are two great right handed shots. I would personally take Burns first just because he is such a good two way player.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  15:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

That's a bold statement Beans. Are you sure about that?
I don't want to hijack Leigh's thread. Maybe it's worth it;s own thread?

oh hes top 5 forsure all time but today hes got trouble to fit into my top 5,,, don't get me wrong i've met the man twice had beers with him once read his book twice but hes is not top 5 in the league today and my apologies leigh i really dont mean to hijack your thread,,, and again i'm just throwing this out there you have too many superstars need some grind!!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  19:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see two problems other than the lack of a right hand shot on the point:

1. You have no spare defenceman
2. Alfredsson should NOT be on this team
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  23:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im gonna have to say i wouldnt have alfi but to each his own and other than the shots i have no idea

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  19:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Pasty, I would have to agree with you. The second problem I saw was that there were no true checkers. It's tough to pass up all that talent but I think you're right, you need some role players on the 3rd and 4th lines. Doan, Draper etc. Who else would you guys put in?

I'm not sold on NEEDING a fighter/tough guy in this situation. Some teams do and some don't. With a guys like Iginla, Lecavalier, Phaneuf and Chara I'm not convinced this team would need a fighter per se.

Ooops sorry I definitely did forget to put a spare d-man on the bus. I'll have to look into it...probably Green (I hope he's right handed!!! haha!)

No the Brodeur contorversy...I'm gonna think on that...Luongo is DEFINITELY my number one, but Kipper and Broduer are fairly interchangeable. For some reason I've always wondered if Brodeur still has it. I can't shake that feeling...but he proves me wrong every year! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4043
( )

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  19:29:37  Reply with Quote
I don't get why Alfredsson is so undesirable? He's been at the top of the league for years now and always puts up great numbers.

Viva L'Alfredsson!!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  16:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think guys like Jordan Staal for example could be your checkers,, and les face it he can score with the best of them aswell so you win in both areas with a guy like him,, why avoid alfie,, personnally i like tough guys i would much rather see Nash in the lineup then Alfie not to take anything aways from how good a player
Alfie is

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  21:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After watching the playoffs this year, J Staal be came one of my favourite players. I find he stands out on the ice, not with his offensive skills so much but his defensive ability is awesome. I think he would be a great checker as well.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page