Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 July 1st bad for Canada? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BradTheBadDad
Top Prospect

73 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  15:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which Canadian team has gotten the worst since the end of the season?

Choices:

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton

BradTheBadDad
Top Prospect

73 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  15:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't say I'm in love with any of these teams' dealings during free agency.

Toronto is going to tank this season, and they planned on it. Losing Tucker is huge, along with Welwood and others. They're headed in the right direction but they'll be a far worse team this year than last. I voted for them.

Montreal lost Streit, Ryder and Grabovski for Tanguay and Laraque. I'd say that's a downgrade... Gainey was hoping for a miracle in Sundin and didn't get it. Calgary's big news is losing Tanguay for Camalleri, a downgrade according to most people. And Nolan for Bertuzzi just sucks if you're a Flames fan.Ottawa got rid of Redden and Emery for Smyth and Auld. Smith is a character guy, yes, but Redden is still better. And Alex Auld is a meaningless acquisition. Vancouver lost Naslund and brought in Demitra, which just solidifies their terrible offense. Meanwhile Edmonton is a mess of a team, which on paper may be better than last season, but in reality won't mesh.

''Eat. Sleep. Hockey''
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  18:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BradTheBadDad

Can't say I'm in love with any of these teams' dealings during free agency.

Toronto is going to tank this season, and they planned on it. Losing Tucker is huge, along with Welwood and others. They're headed in the right direction but they'll be a far worse team this year than last. I voted for them.

Montreal lost Streit, Ryder and Grabovski for Tanguay and Laraque. I'd say that's a downgrade... Gainey was hoping for a miracle in Sundin and didn't get it. Calgary's big news is losing Tanguay for Camalleri, a downgrade according to most people. And Nolan for Bertuzzi just sucks if you're a Flames fan.Ottawa got rid of Redden and Emery for Smyth and Auld. Smith is a character guy, yes, but Redden is still better. And Alex Auld is a meaningless acquisition. Vancouver lost Naslund and brought in Demitra, which just solidifies their terrible offense. Meanwhile Edmonton is a mess of a team, which on paper may be better than last season, but in reality won't mesh.

''Eat. Sleep. Hockey''

How is Edmonton a mess of a team that won't mesh??? Torres, Stoll, Greene, Glencross and Pitkanen left and Cole, Brule, and Visnovksy join the team. The loss of Stoll is yet to be determined, but Greene and Torres won't be missed too badly. Glencross is a career 4th liner who got hot a little last year. At the end of last year that team was on fire. They were one of the top 5 teams in the last 20 games of the season. So how is virtually the same team not going to mesh?? Add in the fact that the Oilers lost (I believe) more man games than any other team in the league last year. Bring in a healthy Horcoff, Souray, Moreau, and Pisani for the entire season and that is a solid hockey team top to bottom.

I know you will all say I am bias because I am an Oiler fan, but I think adding Cole, and Visnovsky to the team by losing a bag of pucks (Torres), and player never the same after a concussion( Stoll), and frail d-man who wanted more money than he was worth (Pitkanen) and an average defensemen is pretty good in most people's eyes. Brule is an upgrade on Glencross as well.

I like the Oilers to fight and possibly win the NW, putting them as a 3rd seed in the playoffs and more than likely home ice through the first 2 rounds of the playoffs.

Does anyone remember how hard it is for a road team to win a Rexall?? Remember how hard that is to do in the playoffs??

All I am saying is don't count them out. And they are a far from a mess of a team and a team that won't mesh.

Edited by - Beans15 on 08/29/2008 18:16:08
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  22:06:23  Reply with Quote
My good friend Beans just about summed up the whole "mess of a team" comment, so i guess I won't continue. I have one final thing though, show me a Canadian team with a better prospect crop then the Oilers.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  22:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About the Habs .. Ryder lost his touch with Montreal, and Tanguay is much better. Grabovski had no room to play on the team so that hurts nothing. Laraque is one of the best pick ups we have made. So much toughness finally Montreal forwards can play and not have to worry about punks and cheap shots. Also Komisarek now doesn't have to drop the gloves as much. As for Streit I say getting rid of him was better then keeping him. It opened up a forward slot, instead of juggling him around and he wasn't a good Dman at all so no loss there. We will easily replace him on the PP. He got a huge contract for one good year? Mark my words he wont have a season like last year. Most of his points came on the PP, and Montreal was #1 in the league... hmmm... coincidence? Think about NYI's PP.. Streit will not do much for them at all.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  09:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

About the Habs .. Ryder lost his touch with Montreal, and Tanguay is much better. Grabovski had no room to play on the team so that hurts nothing. Laraque is one of the best pick ups we have made. So much toughness finally Montreal forwards can play and not have to worry about punks and cheap shots. Also Komisarek now doesn't have to drop the gloves as much. As for Streit I say getting rid of him was better then keeping him. It opened up a forward slot, instead of juggling him around and he wasn't a good Dman at all so no loss there. We will easily replace him on the PP. He got a huge contract for one good year? Mark my words he wont have a season like last year. Most of his points came on the PP, and Montreal was #1 in the league... hmmm... coincidence? Think about NYI's PP.. Streit will not do much for them at all.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

agreed on all counts save one,, ryder is a loss,,, Carbo mis treated ryder from day one a good coach would have easily gotten 30 goals out of ryder,, he got 14 in 68 games,, and playing a lot of time on the third line and only 6 min a game,,, Carbo made a huge mistake with ryder

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  10:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oilers do have the best prospects, but that doesnt mean success for this year. They improved moderatly but not enough to set them apart from the rest of the canadian teams, they will remain in the middle of the pack.

combined:
Torres, Stoll, Greene, Glencross and Pitkanen
42 goals 99 points 284 games

Cole, Brule, and Visnovksy
31 goals 101 Points about 115 games
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  11:00:40  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

oilers do have the best prospects, but that doesnt mean success for this year. They improved moderatly but not enough to set them apart from the rest of the canadian teams, they will remain in the middle of the pack.

combined:
Torres, Stoll, Greene, Glencross and Pitkanen
42 goals 99 points 284 games

Cole, Brule, and Visnovksy
31 goals 101 Points about 115 games

Am I missing something with this post? Because what you just showed was that the three players we got, got 2 more points in 169 less games, and that there was 2 less of them. And that is a huge improvement, Stoll was on his way out whether or not we liked it, plus he wasn't that valuable anymore, after that concussion he's never been the same, and we'd be luck to get 30-40 points out of him. Torres was trash, I'd trade him for a washing machine (sorry watched Semi-Pro last night ). Pitkanen is a definite loss, but Visnovsky easily makes that up. Glencross im sad to see go, but if a player who may not even have a roster spot is getting 1.2m a year, no thanks. Greene is no big deal, we have so many up-and-coming defensive prospects, along with an already solid young core that it won't even matter. In the end Cole will easily do better than Stoll, Brule is eons better than Torres, Pitkanen and Visnovsky are about equal, and neither Greene or Glencross would probably even have a roster spot.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  22:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Am I missing something with this post? Because what you just showed was that the three players we got, got 2 more points in 169 less games, and that there was 2 less of them. And that is a huge improvement, Stoll was on his way out whether or not we liked it, plus he wasn't that valuable anymore, after that concussion he's never been the same, and we'd be luck to get 30-40 points out of him. Torres was trash, I'd trade him for a washing machine (sorry watched Semi-Pro last night ). Pitkanen is a definite loss, but Visnovsky easily makes that up. Glencross im sad to see go, but if a player who may not even have a roster spot is getting 1.2m a year, no thanks. Greene is no big deal, we have so many up-and-coming defensive prospects, along with an already solid young core that it won't even matter. In the end Cole will easily do better than Stoll, Brule is eons better than Torres, Pitkanen and Visnovsky are about equal, and neither Greene or Glencross would probably even have a roster spot.

I said they improved, but not by leaps and bounds
sorry if it didnt come off clear

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  22:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BY the way glencross scored 15 goals in 62 games which is superb. .24 goals a game, which is better than their highest rookie goal scorer cogliano who's got three more goals in 20 more games, and significantly less opurtunity in a scoring position.Matt greene brought grittiness and was one of not many on the team who were above or close to plus (-3), Stoll was seventh in points on the team with thirty six in one of his worst in his carreer and youd be lucky to get 30-40 points i might be mistaken but isnt that right there...., and torres got more goals and points in 30 games than Brule did in 60 games. BRULES lifetime stats-146 games 12 goals 41 points -27 .28 points per game. TORRES lifetime stats- 276 games 67 goals 120 points plus 5 .435 points per game, nearly double Brules plus the feisty aspect, and id say that torres is Eons better.

also if you say glencross just got hot then thats the same thing that happened to the rest of the rookies, and you dont see oilers letting them go for nothing.

I said they improved, but not by lots.

Edited by - hockster on 08/30/2008 22:58:58
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  15:34:55  Reply with Quote
Don't just throw stats at me like I am an idiot. I know there stats, and frankly they prove nothing. Wow Brule has less points than Torres, who cares? It's all about how they will develop, or have developed. And well Torres is done developing, and it didn't turn out well, Brule could really turn out to be solid. Brule is only 21 and at the beginning of his career, Torres is 27 and is at the peak of his career, and that peak isn't very high. And here is the biggest reason I like this trade, Torres has 255 PIM in 307 games, compared to Brule's 52 PIM in 146 games. Glencross only scored 3 less goals than our leading rookie? Big whoop. The two aren't even comparable, Glencross is 25, Cogliano is 21, Glencross is a gritty forward, Cogliano is a speedy sniper. The two cannot be compared. Also you do know that Glencross didn't play with the rookies, right? He was playing with Stortini and Brodziak. Yes they let him walk, but if you actually followed the Oilers and knew what you were talking about rather than Googling there stats, you'd know that Lowe said they were too busy going after Hossa and Jagr and Glencross just kind of snuck away, they wanted to keep him. Once again before you start telling me what Stoll is wroth, watch more than one Oilers game. After the concussion he suffered he's never been the same, im sad to see him go, but the fact of the matter is he isn't a very big loss. And let me repeat, Greene doesn't have a roster spot on this team, we have plenty of up-and-coming defensive prospects so he will not be missed one bit.

lol Torres eons better than Brule, sorry did I miss something?
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  18:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by Axey

Chicago Blackhawks GM

agreed on all counts save one,, ryder is a loss,,, Carbo mis treated ryder from day one a good coach would have easily gotten 30 goals out of ryder,, he got 14 in 68 games,, and playing a lot of time on the third line and only 6 min a game,,, Carbo made a huge mistake with ryder

Pasty

No I completely agree with you here, I'm just saying I think Tanguay is better. But Carbo did ruin Ryder, and he is such a great guy to have on the team too with his goofy Newfie character. Haha I'm scared of Boston this season, Ryder will get 70+ points on that team, I guarantee.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  16:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torres is a bag of pucks. He always has been and always will be. He got hot for about 3 of every 20 games and got all his points in that period of time. He was the biggest defensive liability on the ice and more often than not took stupid penalties. Although he is a gritty player, he most often made that "rookie" mistake of sacrificing the play to make a hit rather than making a hit to improve the play. A puddle of waterbottle backwash is more valuable on the ice than Raffi Torres.

Brule is a huge step up on Torres.

Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  18:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guest just so you know i have oilers season tickets, until this year lived in the city. Now im not even gonna bother arguing with you, but at this point in time Torres is better, were talking about the upcoming season, even if he does make dumb plays, he still brings more than Brule.Brule had tons of potential in the lock out year(draft Year), but he nhl left his slow/ clutch and grab play behind, mark my words Brule will be the next oiler wipping boy, unless someone like Vishnovsky does crappy.

There is also a reason oilers have one of the highest man games lost, they dont have anyone who will retaliate to the rough play.

Go to Top of Page

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  17:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
vancouver is my vote... how you can replace naslund, who hasn't done nearly as much as when bertuzzi was still there, with someone who has few years left to play (and trust me it shows!)?????????
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page