Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Players Signed Overseas & Bought Out Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  06:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whether your Fantasy League is 100 players deep or 1000 players deep, there are some players on this list that some managers in your league may not realize have signed overseas and in some cases a manager may even draft one of them. Don't be that manager...

Team-by-team, here are the players they lost:

Anaheim loses mostly spare parts:
Jason King (RW) to Germany
Geoff Platt (C) to Finland
Joe DiPenta (D) to Sweden
- and Bertuzzi bought out for $1.33M

Atlanta loses some much-needed D:
Kevin Doell (C) to Sweden
Joel Kwiatkowski (D) to Russia
Steve McCarthy (D) to Russia
Mark Popovic (D) to Russia
Fred Brathwaite (G) to Germany
- they also bought out Alexei Zhitnick (D)

Boston didn't really lose anyone to an overseas signing, but Stanislav Chistov (RW) was their property last year even though he only worked out with their farm team. He signed in Russia.
The Bruins also bought out Glen Murray who will be a $1.383M cap hit the each of the next 2 seasons.

Buffalo is one of only 2 teams that hasn't lost any player, no matter how insignificant, to an overseas signing. They also have no players on a buyout this season.

Carolina lost 2 decent players
- Trevor Letowski (RW) to Kazakhstan
- John Grahame (G) to Russia
- Jeff Hamilton (C) bought out for $267k in each of the next 2 seasons

Calgary also lost no players, and also has no-one on a buyout.

Chicago - Andrei Zyuzin (D) signed in Russia
- Curtis Brown (C) in 2nd last year of buyout ($456 k)

Columbus could use some of their exiting players:
- Alexander Svitov (C) signed in Russia
- David Vyborny (RW) signed in Czech Republic
- Duvie Westcott (D) was bought out ($1.968M over the next 4 years) and he subsequently signed in Latvia
- Tomas Popperle (G) was not tendered a QO
- Filip Novak (D) on buyout yr.2 (83 k)
- d*** Tarnstrom (D) is still unsigned too

Dallas - only lost Johan Holmqvist (G) to Sweden (and Stu Barnes to retirement)

Detroit - Mark Hartigan (C) to Latvia (and Drake and Hasek to retirement). No players on buyout.

Edmonton - only lost Allan Rourke (D) to Germany...no buyouts

Florida has such a logjam at D, they could afford to lose:
- Magnus Johansson (D) to Russia
- Branislav Mezei (D) to Kazakhstan
- Jozef Stumpel (C) bought out and then signed in Kazakhstan

LA lost a tonne of guys!!
- Jeff Guiliano (LW) to Belarus
- Ladislav Nagy (LW) to Russia
- Kevin Dallman (D) to Kazakhstan
- Jon Klemm (D) to Germany
- Dan Cloutier (G) in year 1 of buyout ($1.033 each of next 2 years)
- Alyn McAuley (C) in 2nd year of buyout ($.667M for ea.of next 3yrs)
- Scott Thornton (LW) retired

Minnesota lost a few too
- Branko Radivojevic (RW) to Russia
- Chris Simon (LW) to Russia
- Sean Hill (D) to Switzerland
- Petteri Nummelin (D) to Switzerland
- Mark Parrish (RW) has 6 years of buyout remaining (yikes!)
- Keith Carney (D) has not been made an offer yet

Montreal only has 2 players on buyouts, no overseas runaways
- Jassen Cullimore (D) last yr of buyout (640 k)
- Tony Salmelainen (RW) on last yr of buyout (125)

Nashville
- Jan Hlavac (LW) to Sweden
- Alexander Radulov (RW) to Russia
- Josh Langfeld (RW) to Germany
- Martin Gelinas (LW) is still a UFA, strangely...

New Jersey suffered some losses on D
- Sergei Brylin (C) to Russia
- Karel Rachunek (D) to Russia
- Vitaly Vishnevski (D) waived, then signed in Russia
- Richard Matvichuk (D) unsigned UFA at the moment

New York Isles lost a lot of guys!
- Josef Vasicek (C) to Russia
- Matt Keith (RW) to Germany
- Kip Brennan (LW) to Finland
- Bryan Berard (D) trying out with Philly
- Matt Spiller (D) no QO made
- Wade Dubielewicz (G) to Russia
- Mike Morrison (G) to Slovenia
- Bates in buyout

New York Rangers
- Jaromir Jagr (RW) to Russia
- Martin Straka (C) to Czech
- Ivan Baranka (D) to Russia
- Brendan Shanahan (LW) and Marek Malik (D) still UFA's

Ottawa
- Niko Dimitrakos (RW) to Sweden
- Randy Robitaille (C) to Switzerland
- and of course Emery bought out and signed in Russia

Philly
- Denis Tolpeko (C) to Russia
- Stefan Ruzicka (RW) to Russia
- Patrick Thoreson (C) to Switzerland
- Jaroslav Modry (D) to Czech
- Jim Dowd (C) and Jessie Boulerice(RW) still unsigned UFA's
- and Sami Kapenen supposedly retired and then signed in Finland although he still receives $1.25M from Philly (no cap hit, though)

Phoenix
- Niko Kapenen (C) to Russia
- Marcel Hossa (LW) to Latvia
- Mathias Tjarnqvist (LW) to Sweden
- Ryan Caldwell (D) to Germany
- Dave Scatchard (C) 3 yrs of buyout left (700k each)

Pittsburgh
- Alain Nasreddine (D) to Germany

San Jose
- Curtis Brown (C) to Switzerland
- Dmitri Patzold (G) to Russia
- Brad Norton(D) Sandis Ozolinsh (D) and Alexei Semenov (D) all become UFA's

St Louis
- Mike Johnson (RW) to Germany
- Petr Cajanek (LW) to Russia
- Martin Rucinsky (LW) to Czech
- Hannu Toivenen (G) to Finland

Tampa Bay
- Andreas Karlsson (C) to Sweden
- Kyle Wanvig (RW) to Russia
- Karl Stewart (LW) not QO'd
- Tim Taylor (C) retired officially
- Marc Denis (G) bought out (867k this year, $1M next year)

Toronto
- Simon Gamache (LW) to Switzerland
- John Pohl (C) to Switzerland
- Tucker and Raycroft bought out

Vancouver
- Byron Ritchie (C) to Switzerland
- Trevor Linden (C) retired in case you live under a rock
- Marc Chouinard (C) in final buyout year (367 k)

Washington
- Fred Cassivi (G) to Germany
- Ben Clymer (D) bought out

It's a little dry but that's the info...

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  09:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to be clear Bertuzzi went to Calgary
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  10:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't state where Bertuzzi (Calgary), Tucker (Colorado), Raycroft (Colorado), or Denis (Montreal) went to when their respective teams bought them out, but I decided to put them in there since I included the values of all the other bought out players (whether they subsequently signed overseas, or not at all, or with an NHL team). I should have stated it though, as it makes it seem that I suggest they are no longer in the NHL...which is obviously not the case.

I also included all by-outs that teams are paying this year regardless of when the buyout began (for continuity's sake, I suppose). Except for Yashin. I skipped him for no good reason, but I did skip him... on purpose!

In some cases I mentioned significant as-yet-unsigned players but didn't do so all the way through. I didn't originally intend to do so, and therefore, did not have a complete list of such players. When I thought of some along the way I threw them in there.

Here is a complete list of the UFA's not yet signed that I did not mention:

Sundin (Tor)
Chelios (Det) ------Now Signed with Detroit
Aaron Miller (D-Van)
Junior Lessard (RW-TBay)
Micki Dupont (D-StL)
Matt Murley (LW-Phx)------now signed with Hurricanes
David Aebischer (G-Phx)
Marty Lapointe (RW-Ott)
Luke Richardson (D-Ott)
Matt Carkner (D-Ott)
Darius Kasparaitus (D-NYR)
Noah Clarke (LW-NJers)
Bryan Smolinski (C-Mtl)
Patrice Brisebois (D - Mtl) ---has now signed w/ Montreal
Oleg Tverdovsky (D-LA)
Jassen Cullimore (D-Fla)
Geoff Sanderson (LW-Edm)
Darren McCarty (RW-Det)
Peter Forsberg (C-Col)
Kevyn Adams (C-Chi)
Yanic Perreault (C-Chi)
Mark Smith (C-Cgy)
Bret Hedican (D-Car)
Michael Ryan (C-Buf)
Nolan Pratt (D-Buf)
Jocelyn Thibault (G-Buf)
Bobby Allen (D-Bos)
Steve Rucchin (C-Atl)
Teemu Selanne (RW-Ana)
Mark Mowers (RW-Ana)
Bruno St Jacques (D-Ana)
JS Aubin (G-Ana)

That is the complete unedited list. Some people may think that the inclusion of Aebischer and Kasparaitis is strange, or worse, incorrect, but I assure you it is not. Both those players were on loan to their respective teams last season (Aebischer in Switzerland, Kasparaitis in Russia) as their rights were still held by NHL teams. I am doubtful that either player will be tendered any kind of offer from an NHL team now though.

And, finally, I didn't think it was worth mentioning that Mattias Norstrom and Glen Wesley retired. But for completeness, I just did.

Edited to add: I'm pretty sure Brisebois has officially retired; and Rucchin either has or will soon.

Edited by - 99pickles on 09/15/2008 16:17:35
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gotcha, I guess your post title is a little misleading by using "and". It probably should read "or". not being nit-picky, just explaining why I misunderstood. Thanks Pickles!
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  13:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

gotcha, I guess your post title is a little misleading by using "and". It probably should read "or". not being nit-picky, just explaining why I misunderstood. Thanks Pickles!

Oh no, you were 100% correct I simply included more than the original title (subsequently making it look like I was saying Bertuzzi should not be drafted due to not having a team). I just started adding all info for every team...thus going beyond the scope of the original topic - my own fault!

Thanx for...ahem...reading though
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  17:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!!! we're clear.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  06:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only player moving over seas that has any fantasy relevance is Jagr. If anyone considered any of the other players for even a moment I hope they don't play for money.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  09:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, well for a huge impact anyways there are about a million players with the same value as the rest that left.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  12:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One fantasy league I am in is 480 deep (without IR subs which puts it over 500 players deep during the season) - 2 dozen or more of these guys were on rosters last year.

Also, it's newsworthy no matter how dry.

And also it's interesting to see just how many players are signing for money in Euro leagues.

I've included the cost of buyouts so you can see how much your favourite team is spending on them. You can also see which 3rd and 4th-liners on your favourite team will suddenly not be there next this season.

And, wait... you don't think Radulov or Straka or Emery would have had any fantasy value this year??
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  12:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In any reasonable fantasy league Radulov, Straka and Emery should never be drafted. Maybe picked up off of waivers if they get off to a hot start but definatly not drafted.

I'd love to see the set up of your league if there's 480 players being drafted.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  15:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

In any reasonable fantasy league Radulov, Straka and Emery should never be drafted. Maybe picked up off of waivers if they get off to a hot start but definatly not drafted.

I'd love to see the set up of your league if there's 480 players being drafted.

The set-up is 24 managers picking 20 deep (15 stat categories, skater-to-goalie ratio is 2:1). Buy-in is only $20 each.

Even if only 220-250 deep, the likes of Straka, Emery and Radulov would definitely be gone in the top 150...if they were in the NHL.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  19:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A midget goalie would be picked b4 Emery, the guy wouldn't play and just is hated... sad though, he has the talent and skill. I like him personally, I think he just needs some1 to set him straight.

Straka meh.. whatever

Radulov, not a point per game player yet... not that much of a loss

What i was trying to say is, you can't replace these superstars but these other players can be

Also in your league, you basically pick an NHL team, Id wanna be in another pool too besidse that one though.
Chicago Blackhawks GM

Edited by - Axey on 09/16/2008 19:30:52
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  20:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

A midget goalie would be picked b4 Emery, the guy wouldn't play and just is hated... sad though, he has the talent and skill. I like him personally, I think he just needs some1 to set him straight.

Straka meh.. whatever

Radulov, not a point per game player yet... not that much of a loss

What i was trying to say is, you can't replace these superstars but these other players can be

Also in your league, you basically pick an NHL team, Id wanna be in another pool too besidse that one though.
Chicago Blackhawks GM

I am in 5 Leagues of varying depths (220-480 deep) and styles (straight up fantasy points, rotisserie and weekly head-to-head) but that is not the point.

The point is - it's insane to say that Emery, Straka and Radulov (amongst others) would have had no fantasy value this year...if they were in the NHL.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  06:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't say they have no fantasy value....What I am saying is that these players have no business being drafted. Like I said, if they were clicking at the first of the season they might be worth a waiver pick up but there's far to many players in the league with more of an upside and more potential then these guys. If you feel they deserve a spot on your team but the only reason you won't take them is because they aren't in the NHL my sweet jesus I'd love to see who you replace them with.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  03:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

In any reasonable fantasy league Radulov, Straka and Emery should never be drafted.

That right there is saying that they have no fantasy value.

Radulov?? Really??? Shouldn't be drafted??

I'd like to see what fantasy league you're in that he wouldn't even be drafted!! Only a league that goes less than 100 deep wouldn't have him drafted!
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  10:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well technically, they don't have any value now .. but seriously If Crosby signed overseas it would be a different story, it would rattle the fantasy league but there are about 40 other guys with the same points as these guys.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  09:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well technically, they don't have any value now .. but seriously If Crosby signed overseas it would be a different story, it would rattle the fantasy league but there are about 40 other guys with the same points as these guys.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Well, Radulov has been selected in 3 of 4 drafts I've done so far. Looks like he still has value

Btw, the news out of Russia about a week ago was that he may be regretting his decision. Then in the last couple days he was quoted as saying that he would never come back to the NHL no matter what. Let's see what the IIHF says about that.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  00:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Radulov as no draft value? 58 points last year and no draft value? wow if he were for sure playing this year he sould definatly be drafted. Same with Straka. Also thanks 99pickles for making the lists I found both interesting and insightful.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  05:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Radulov being drafted in 3/4 of your drafts doesn't justify him having draft value. It just makes me question what sort of people you're entering these drafts with.....Americans? Radulovs Family? People from the 5th floor of your local hospital?
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  07:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

Radulov being drafted in 3/4 of your drafts doesn't justify him having draft value. It just makes me question what sort of people you're entering these drafts with.....Americans? Radulovs Family? People from the 5th floor of your local hospital?

Haha, I love it

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  12:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I love the humour!!!

Just for the record...the IIHF announced earlier today that although Radulov clearly violated his NHL contract, they can't make him return due to the lack of player transfer agreement.

And, hey, I was just as surprised as anyone else that pool managers were rolling the dice on Radulov, but I believe they will be dropping him now!! Nothing better than your opponents making bad picks!

Canucks Man, thanks for the props! I too found it interesting. There have been countless updates in the last couple days that I didn't edit though.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  15:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No1 in my pool took Radulov, one guy gambled on Sundin with his last forward pick though. I think that is interesting.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  01:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No1 in my pool took Radulov, one guy gambled on Sundin with his last forward pick though. I think that is interesting.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.

Sundin was certainly gambled on in all of my leagues...that's not much of a gamble since he'll be back around Christmas.

However...

How deep is your league? How many managers? How many of each position? How many bench players? How many, and which categories? How many IR spots? How many "farm" players? What is the nature of the league: H2H, Roto, straight up points, or weekly points for H2H????

If your league didn't go 200 deep, then there are tons of players to pick up daily.

This thread is apparently not for novice leagues. If your league doesn't draft 300 deep at least, then it's not a SUPER TOUGH league which some of us enjoy...and you do not.

And again, I reiterate: this topic is more than just Fantasy value, it's also newsworthy, interesting and historically imporatnt if you have any idea what happened between the NHA and WHL, the NHL and PCHL, the NHL and WHL, or any of the mining-town leagues of the turn of the century....and, oh yeah NHL vs. WHA more recently.

But I appreciate your attempts at understanding, kiddies keep posting!

P.S. keep in mind this: Until he signed in Russia, Radulov certainly had more fantasy value this year than last year....and he was selected in ALL of my leagues last year! If this isn't the case with you, then, again you are in a rec league that simply doesn't go very deep.

Cheers, and GAME ON poolsters!
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  01:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I forgot to ask: Is your league an annual re-draft? Or is it a keeper league?Or is your league a salary based keeper league??

All of those questions change the entire complexion of your league.

Example: in a performance-based salaried keeper league that I am in, someone selected TJ Oshie last week because of salary constraints vs. possible upside. In a nutshell: he was the best remaining player available at his salary at that point of the annual draft...and that league only drafts 300 deep!

Any more questions or thoughts??

To say "No one took Radulov in any of my leagues" doesn't exactly say much when your league may be 5 managers picking 10 players each.

You should be WAY more specific in this case if you are trying to make any point at all.

Bottom line: If Radulov was in the NHL this year, there is no way he would not be drafted in any league that went more than 130 deep.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page