Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Carolina
 Eric Staal = $57 Million??? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9536
( )

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  16:39:00  Reply with Quote
Eric Staal has 283 points in 327 games over 4 seasons. Is he worth over $8 million a year? I mean that's franchise player money.

Well I think so!

At 23 he's not anywhere near his prime but look at his performance! He's big and getting even stronger. He reminds me of a Lecavalier in a way, but he's off to a faster career start than Vinny did. I'd say $8 million a year is worth the 85 to 105 points he can get in each season. I wouldn't be surprised if he is consistently over 100 points a year in last 4 years of this contract. This kid is the future of Canadian hockey.

I dare you to disagree!!

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  17:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the thing is its just not his point totals he plays so well in all three zones hes worth 8million scoring 70 points

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  02:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is certainly more valuable than just his point totals. But, sheesh, this seems a little high
Go to Top of Page

Impaled
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  12:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
t happens to these contracts if the salary cap goes down? Do teams have to renegotiate, or just start dropping contracts?

These long contracts are getting to be the norm, which I find kind of funny, since it wasn't to long ago that the players wanted short term contracts to try and get to Free Agency and reap some big dollars on said short term contracts.

Confusing...

57 Mil is too much for Staal IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Bozy
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  21:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why Eric Stall is worth 57M

-Big(6'4 205 pounds)
-Young(24 Years old)
-Canadian
-All around good (Can give and take a hit,play defense,make plays and score)
-Has accomplished a lot (Won a cup and hot 100 points)
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  11:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
red wings won the cup and there highest paid player is lidstrom at like 7.5 per
Iginla one of the best players in the league only seven million

TOO MUCH

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  12:32:41  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bozy

Why Eric Stall is worth 57M

-Big(6'4 205 pounds)
-Young(24 Years old)
-Canadian
-All around good (Can give and take a hit,play defense,make plays and score)
-Has accomplished a lot (Won a cup and hot 100 points)

What does being Canadian have to do with it?
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  20:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well actually being Canadian can do alot, you won't see him sign or leave to join the KHL like european stars such as Jagr or Radulov.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  05:16:01  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

Well actually being Canadian can do alot, you won't see him sign or leave to join the KHL like european stars such as Jagr or Radulov.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

How would you know. Only time will tell. That should be a seperate topic. 57 mil (or players salaries) is not based on nationality, what language they speak or your up bringing, it is based on talant, size, attributes and so on and so on. I agree with the list Bozy provided why a team would pay Stall 57mil except for being Canadian.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  06:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not saying its a sole reason, but it doesn't hurt. If you are trying to say Canadian superstar would rather play in Russia, and not for Lord Stanley's Cup, you my friend should check your morals. What kid in Canada grows up saying, I wanna play for CSKA Moscow? I can honestly say this with certainty not one. Even someone from the U.S. you just know that the whole sign in Europe is out of the question, except in the case of extreme circumstances, like shutdown of NHL, etc.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  06:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree, I think nationality and what language you speak should and does have a huge bearing on contract size and length. How are you supposed to be a leader on a team when you can't communicate with them? In terms of marketability a north american is a far bigger draw then a europeon or russian. They'll generate more interest and more money for the team. A player isn't always paid what they are based on what they do on the ice, it's also about how much money they can make for the team. Does Jim Carey make 20 million a movie because he's the best actor out there? No, he makes that much because he can draw a huge audience and make the movie alot of money.

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6196

quote:

Chicago Blackhawks GM

How would you know. Only time will tell. That should be a seperate topic. 57 mil (or players salaries) is not based on nationality, what language they speak or your up bringing, it is based on talant, size, attributes and so on and so on. I agree with the list Bozy provided why a team would pay Stall 57mil except for being Canadian.

Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  07:33:45  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I disagree, I think nationality and what language you speak should and does have a huge bearing on contract size and length. How are you supposed to be a leader on a team when you can't communicate with them? In terms of marketability a north american is a far bigger draw then a europeon or russian. They'll generate more interest and more money for the team. A player isn't always paid what they are based on what they do on the ice, it's also about how much money they can make for the team. Does Jim Carey make 20 million a movie because he's the best actor out there? No, he makes that much because he can draw a huge audience and make the movie alot of money.

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6196

quote:

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Wow,

Players like Ovechkin and Selanne can lead teams and communicate with players. They market well. To discriminate against a nationality because of a language barrier is wrong. There are French Canadians players who don't speak english very well. So how about them. Are they not marketable.

Also by your statment, I am glad to read you know hockey is a business. So what would stop a worker in a business going overseas for more money? Like I said earlier time will tell.

I think hockey has a long way to go. Hockey has guys like Don Cherry who is one of the biggest bigots walking and for some reason Canadians follow him and cheer him on. We should respect talant from all over the world and they should have the same pay and respect as Canadian born players as long as the talant and attributes are equal.
Can you imagineif a baseball commentator would speak in the same manner about Cubans or Dominicans as Cherry speaks about Europeans. That would be an outrage.

Way off topic but there are many European actors making more than Jim Carey???

Axey i must agree with you it can't hurt being Canadian but that cannot be a deciding factor.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  14:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't say that foreigners can't be marketed, it's just a heck of alot easier to market a north american. Especially since the majority of the market is North Americans.

There are 7 non-north american captains in the league (including Sundin) and 0 french Canadian captains. Of these captains they are all very fluent in english, in fact I really have to focus to even pick up guys like Alfredson, Sundin and Lidstroms accents. This tells me that in order to be an effective leader in the NHL you need to either be English, or have an extremely good grip on the language. There's coaches, gm's, presidents, etc, making alot more money and are far more informed then us putting the "C" on English speaking players chests. Maybe they know what they're doing.

I don't understand why Cherry is getting a bad wrap. What's so wrong about cheering for a countryman? Why shouldn't he want a Canadian to have more success then a Swede?

You really missed my Jim Carey point.....try to keep up.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  14:50:55  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I didn't say that foreigners can't be marketed, it's just a heck of alot easier to market a north american. Especially since the majority of the market is North Americans.

There are 7 non-north american captains in the league (including Sundin) and 0 french Canadian captains. Of these captains they are all very fluent in english, in fact I really have to focus to even pick up guys like Alfredson, Sundin and Lidstroms accents. This tells me that in order to be an effective leader in the NHL you need to either be English, or have an extremely good grip on the language. There's coaches, gm's, presidents, etc, making alot more money and are far more informed then us putting the "C" on English speaking players chests. Maybe they know what they're doing.

I don't understand why Cherry is getting a bad wrap. What's so wrong about cheering for a countryman? Why shouldn't he want a Canadian to have more success then a Swede?

You really missed my Jim Carey point.....try to keep up.

Cheer for your countrymen sure, but to put down other nationalities and purposely pronounce there names wrong (he continues after MacLean corrects him) is being a bigot. HNC is a family show and our kids hear the crap out of his mouth and it sets us back as a nation 50 years. Kids speak what Cherry says and that is teaching kids to discriminate.

I do not agree the C goes to players who are english speaking. It goes to the player with the most talant and leadership. Canadians are the most talanted players in the world. But being Canadian alone should not get you more money or the C rather than a non Canadian.

If you would like a response to your Jim Carey remark please state your point in a better manner.

If we go all the way back to the original topic and that is, does being Canadain get you more money I still say no. Talant gets you more money, Playing and knowing your role on the team gets you more money.

I hope you are not saying being European gets you less money? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  14:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

There are 7 non-north american captains in the league (including Sundin) and 0 french Canadian captains.

Vincent Lecavalier is french canadian and he is captain.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  14:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote that on 16 Sep 08. He was not the captain at that time, he was named captain on the 18th. I happen to remember how effective he was when he was first named TB captain, so hopefully he'll be able to perform his leadership duties better then last go around. I'm sure he has a better grip on the english language now, so that should be a start.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  13:54:49  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I wrote that on 16 Sep 08. He was not the captain at that time, he was named captain on the 18th. I happen to remember how effective he was when he was first named TB captain, so hopefully he'll be able to perform his leadership duties better then last go around. I'm sure he has a better grip on the english language now, so that should be a start.

IIdon't think it's his english that got him the C back, I bet his age had something to do with it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  13:55:29  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I don't think it's his english that got him the C back, I bet his age had something to do with it.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  15:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, getting back to the topic, I just wanted to point out a couple of things:

In 4 seasons, 1 ended up with a Stanley Cup, one ended up with 100 reg season points, 3 ended with 30 or more goals, and the worst year (his off year) was 70 points
3) He's a monster at 6'4" and 205 lbs and has missed only one game in the past 4 seasons!
4)He was the MVP of the all Star Game

All of this before his 24th birthday!!

If he's not worth $57 million, who is??

The highest (absolute highest) Staal's yearly salary will be is $9.5 million. That's less than Briere and Gomez made last year and niether has every put up a 100 point season or a 40 goal season!

Staal is solid gold and will be for the next decade. The contact is fair and warranted in the NHL market considering the player.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9298
( )

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  19:18:43  Reply with Quote
Quirky fact about Staal.

I'm from Peterborough, where he played OHL, and we're family friends with the Buffalo Sabres OHL scout. He had Eric Staal brought to Buffalo for a series of tests: reflexes, speed, strength, endurance, I don't know - crap like that. I assume most franchises do such things for players they're interested in. You can't be too careful! Anyway, Eric Staal scored higher than any Peterborough Pete ever had in 35 years. The test hadn't changed. He beat the likes of Yzerman and Pronger. He's gotit.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  05:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's definitely worth it in this market, as Beans pointed out.

However, for me personally, no one is worth that kind of money - especially so for superstar athletes. Can you imagine how much better the hockey would be if the top wages were a couple hundred thousand? I know, I know - I can only dream . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  07:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But can you imagine how much more money will go to the owners if the players salaries were lower?? It's not like the ticket prices or the price of a jersey would go down.

I agree, I think calling just about any pro sport salary is a joke. However, if the money is there anyway, a reasonable piece should go to the players. It's them, and not the owners who make the product. But, without the owner's money there is no product. Very much a 50/50 kind of relationship.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  09:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans - well, in my perfect fantasy world, the ticket prices would reflect the salaries (and therefore decreased revenue), and that would mean that the average Joe with a family of four could actually afford to see a game without taking out a personal loan.

Because of the incredible demand in areas like southern Ontario, it would also mean that there would be teams in Hamilton, Kitchener and maybe even London or North Bay, never mind the obvious sites of Halifax and Winnipeg.

Hey - who has about 100 million dollars around here? I have a great idea for a new hockey league . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page