Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Selecting any 1st year players for your pool? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MarkhamMax
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  20:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think most of us, in general anyway, rely heavily on last years stats and use it as a guide stick for who we want on our team this year, but what about picking a player who isn't on that stat sheet from last year that everyone has?

I had a hunch Evgeni Malkin was going to do well before he had ever played a game. When I picked him on draft night my opponents were all scratching their heads wondering who he was. He didn't show up on their stats list from last year!!!
Boy did that turn out to be a nice pick. Especially as I had picked Crosby in the round before him lol.

So I ask... who is missing from last years stat sheet that is going to make some noise in the NHL this year?

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  01:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve Stamkos is the obvious choice, Then there is Kyle Turris and Shawn Matthias who are going to be playing this year and could turn some heads.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
EDIT: Found out how to spell it

Edited by - Canucks Man on 09/28/2008 11:43:40
Go to Top of Page

Guest7617
( )

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  15:05:47  Reply with Quote
maybe bobby ryan..?!?!
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  06:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahaha...you had a hunch Malkin was going to do well? that's amazing. I have to ask, what kind of people do you enter pools with that they haven't even heard of Malkin?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  07:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with MSC - those guys from Markham Max's pool are welcome in my pool anytime! lol . . .

Most of the poolie mags have a lowdown on the rookies as well, all you have to do is shell out some cash. Even for poolie chronics such as myself, it really does help a lot - lots of new faces to choose from, especially if the top few kids are gone by the time I get to pick (inevitably, they are, because people consistently overvalue most rookies).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  08:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bobby Ryan, Kyle Turris, Steve Stamkos, and Fabian Brunnstrom were drafted in most of my leagues/pools. Nobody else comes to mind off the top of my head.
Go to Top of Page

tmlfan46
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  21:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okposo off the islanders should do good this year.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  09:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha, I can't imagine ANYONE from the Isles doing anything this year.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  10:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn Horcoff will be far down, he is a point per game playerr though roughly so definitely pick him up.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  12:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I don't think Shawn Horcoff is a first year player...

I had noticed that that Patric Hornqvist guy in Nashville is in the top 6 forwards there...and he's scoring some goals in the pre-season too.

And is Derek Brassard really going to get the top line Centre role in Columbus??

I personally never roll the dice on first-year players, or vaguely known 2nd year players for that matter. But I sure as heck keep a darn close eye on them for pick-up purposes - remember Mike Green last year?

Oh yeah, and since Gonchar and Whitney are out in Pittsburgh, I took Goligoski in the last round of a couple deep leagues. I'll probably try to trade him around late November to someone who's hurting on D, and then pick up Koistenen who no-one ever notices!

Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  16:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mikkel Boedker should do well with Phoenix.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  07:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad, I didn't fully read the topic and such. But I have Glogowski Dman from Pittsburgh, Oshie and Berglund from St. Louis, Bogosian from ATL, Okoposo could be a risky pick, Stamkos is an obvious, Bobby Ryan definitely a solid pick.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  12:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scratch Bobby Ryan off of your lists. Anaheim just sent him down to the Chops, claiming cap issues.

Claude Giroux is gone to ( a few days ago)

Brassard will not be stealing that top line spot from Umberger after all, either, so you can skip him now. He's a little banged up too.

Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  14:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually almost took Ryan with my last pick in one of my pools yesterday, instead I took Sundin basically to make sure no one else had him if he does come back this year. Looks like they'll be equal contributers to my team.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  03:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

I actually almost took Ryan with my last pick in one of my pools yesterday, instead I took Sundin basically to make sure no one else had him if he does come back this year. Looks like they'll be equal contributers to my team.

You did great! Sundin will be a handsome contributor to your team after Game 35.

Bobby Ryan will see a couple cups of coffee at best. I had hoped to do the same thing as you did with Sundin in my 400-deep league, but some sap took him in the middle of the draft.

Wow...I just checked to see who else was selected in Sundin's round (number 15 of 24) in that league and eerily, Sundin and Ryan went in back-to-back picks!! How friggin' strange is that? Other selections in that same round included Kyle Turris, Jaro Spacek, Tobi Enstrom, Keith Ballard, Stoll, Pitkanen, Upshall, Lombardi, Bernier and Hudler. Based on that group I would say Sundin went a little high for a guy that will be playing 45 games this year!
Go to Top of Page

Rometiklan
Top Prospect

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  01:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Brunnstrom and Stamkos are probably the top 2 choices in rookie picks.

Columbus has a pair of young rookies worth keeping an eye on: Jakub Voracek and Nikkita Filatov. Both have shown they will stick with the big club. Voracek spent last season playing in juniors and he should make the jump this season.

Edited by - Rometiklan on 10/06/2008 01:17:07
Go to Top of Page

Guest2802
( )

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  09:45:49  Reply with Quote
Well for players that were not high on the sheets last year these guys are risky but could pay out huge in a pool (players with low point totals last year or having contract issues)
1. Mats Sundin--late in a pool he s worth a shot because if he signs early hes at least a 70 point guy with potential for more.

2.Mike Nylander-- oops i touched the puck and Alex scored again. Nylander on that powerplay will rack points up, and hes a hell of a playmaker especially with a 60 goal scorer to complement him.Remember Jagrs decline without him, well im sure it wasn't coincedence.

3.Todd Bertuzzi-- I know its preseason but the big guy is scoring, I think this could be the sleeper of the year. Calgary is far more a Bertuzzi style team then any team he has played with. Further more he finally wants to prove something.Dont wait to late to make this choice 60-75 points if healthy.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0264
( )

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  10:37:40  Reply with Quote
Here are some of my picks of guys who are most likely to stay up and do well...

Steve Stamkos
Kyle Turris
Fabian Brunnstrom
Kyle Okposo
TJ Oshie
Teddy Purcell
Drew Doughty (D-man)
Nikita Filatov
Jakub Voracek
Derik Brassard
Go to Top of Page

Guest7505
( )

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  21:32:51  Reply with Quote
please help me out im in a league where it is only points that count. Which 2/3 players would u have P.Sharp/D.Brown/M.Erat. please give me ur reasons
Go to Top of Page

LuonGod
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  10:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im not selecting any first year players. If I may, I would like to use this post to say that I dont think Stamkos will do as well as Kane did last year. Those lighting have some ghosts lurking and I get the feeling that Stamkos is only good for 30-40 points at best. Geesh I sure hope Im right, I passed on him on my last pick.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page