Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Who is the better Canadian franchise player? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wynn
Top Prospect

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  19:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Here it is! Out of the leagues biggest Canadian franchise players, who topps the rest?

Wynn

Choices:

Rick Nash (CBJ)
Jarome Iginla (CGY)
Joe Thornton (SJS)
Sidney Crosby (PIT)

Guest4572
( )

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  20:02:08  Reply with Quote
Jarome Iginla, he may be older than Crosby, but he does it all (and this is coming from an Oilers fan!)
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  21:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Iggy as well, this guy is a force, Crosby does little things to piss me off. Nothing against the others though. Other notables: Getzlaf, Lecavalier, E. Staal, etc.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  12:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Iginla just because he is the guy I would want leading my team at the moment.

But if you are asking who is the most important to their team its hands down Crosby. He has single handedly brought that team out of the basement financially and hes also brought them to the finals.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  14:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe Thornton made Cheechoo a 50 goal scorer. End of story

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  17:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

Joe Thornton made Cheechoo a 50 goal scorer. End of story

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

but thornton isn;t exactly sjs's franchise player

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest7627
( )

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  23:16:53  Reply with Quote
I know he is getting older but umm , why is Marty Brodeur not on that list, he has proven himself more than any of those guys, and most likely will do the same until he retires. Then again I'll have to go with Iggy from your list
Go to Top of Page

pokermatt12
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  23:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this a joke? Crosby hands down.
Best playmaker in the game, and makes everyone around him better. He also leads by example on and off the ice. He doesn't take a shift off, and doesn't choke in the playoffs. (*cough* Thornton *cough*)

Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  06:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pokermatt12
[ He also leads by example on and off the ice. He doesn't take a shift off, and doesn't choke in the playoffs.

If leading by example is complaining to the refs every whistle yah he does. Hes no where close to being a true leader just yet.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6740
( )

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  08:08:30  Reply with Quote
crosby sure does choke on something after the game hahah
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  10:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6740

Oh haha another Crosby is gay joke, i believe there is an entire topic or to built to that. I voted Crosby and anybody who says they would not like to have Crosby on there team is an idiot. He is one of the best players in the game and if you watched before he had Malkin you would no that he does have the ability to do good on a s***ty team.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

pokermatt12
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  11:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6740

Oh haha another Crosby is gay joke, i believe there is an entire topic or to built to that. I voted Crosby and anybody who says they would not like to have Crosby on there team is an idiot. He is one of the best players in the game and if you watched before he had Malkin you would no that he does have the ability to do good on a s***ty team.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

I couldn't agree more. People are so focused on saying Crosby is a whiner and a baby blah blah blah. They just leave it at that. Come on guys, explain yourselves. If you watched him in interviews, he says all the right things and that's why the media loves him. On the ice, he gives it his all on every shift and doesn't take one off. He leads by example. There is a reason they gave him the "C" and it certainly doesn't stand for "crybaby".
Go to Top of Page

Guest2264
( )

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  11:42:08  Reply with Quote
I think Jarome does it all but Crosby against jarome is a hard choice to make.
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  11:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
same here it was a hard choice against jarome and crosby but I picked jarome.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4055
( )

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  13:56:40  Reply with Quote
Iginla rarely misses a game, not to mention he actually fights (2 this season so far). I actually don't see Crosby play enough to really judge his overall play, but I did see Crosby every game in the playoffs and I can tell you Iginla was way more impactful in the Calgary playoff run a couple years back. Iginla is a great leader, and I'm sure Crosby is too, but he's too much of a 1-way player. Not only that, but when Crosby got injured the Pens didn't faulter when he was injured (Of course, if the Pens fell apart my opinion on Crosby would be way different).
Go to Top of Page

pokermatt12
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  14:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear what you guys are saying about Iginla entirely, but I just think having a playmaker that makes everyone on the team better is more valuable than a player like Iginla who isn't afraid of fighting and can score.

One thing about Iginla as well is that he gets more penalties than he draws. Crosby on the other hand draws all kinds of penalties, whether people argue if they're embelished or not.

Also, if i were to choose one player to build my team around at this point, I would think about the future as well since Crosby is only 21, and has many more years left in him than does Iggy.

The point about Crosby going out and the team not falling is because Malkin could easily be a franchise player on any other team. Iginla has his fare share of help as well. Remember, Crosby put up 102 points in his rookie season on a lowly Penguins squad who failed miserably to make the playoffs, with Crosby being the only bright spot.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  09:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a real tough one, as for me it was between Iggy and Sid. I chose Iggy.

More experience as a leader, and he does it all. Not as good a playmaker as Sid, but much tougher than him, and I would think he commands more respect in locker room situations. Yes, he's older, but I'll take that with a grain of salt, knowing Crosby's already been seriously injured in his short career (Iggy is more durable, especially considering the way he plays).

In the end, it's like the Mario/Wayne debate - really, you would take either, I think.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4654
( )

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  09:50:30  Reply with Quote
i voted for Igilna, but i should add that Joe Sakic is one of the greatest franchise players even if he's older than the other
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  14:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4654

i voted for Igilna, but i should add that Joe Sakic is one of the greatest franchise players even if he's older than the other

Good call by you, Sakic is just like Yzerman, only a few players are that known to one franchise nowa days

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  04:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see Iggy is leading this poll. I gotta say, I watched the late game on HNIC last night, and the captain was a real difference maker. He set the tone for the game after the first period, scored a goal and an assist, and seemed like he was always on the ice. The other team's captain, on the other hand, seemed furstrated at best, but mostly invisible. I know it was only one game, but what a game it was!

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  05:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough to call but it would have to be Iginla. I want to say Crosby, for a couple reasons. He unites everyone (but so does Iggy.) He represents what the team is about (but so does Iggy.) He has incredible work ethic (but so does Iggy.)

The reason I picked Iginla is because I think he has a little bit more 'Calgary' in his blood than Crosby has Pittsburgh. To that end, he spent the offseason trying (succesfully) to woo over Bertuzzi, he's always talking to the coaches and working with them on the lines - basically, if I read into this situation correctly, the entire organization puts their trust in him.

Not to mention he does everything: scores, passes, hits, fights, blocks shots...

Again, this is not about the best player, but best franchise player, and therefore I pick Iginla from that list.

Make sure to cast your votes in the PickUpHockey Hall of Fame
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page