Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Hockeytown? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  15:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may have been asked before but can Detroit still really call itself Hockey town anymore
Sure they have won 4 cups in 11 years but I was at the season opener watching the banner get raised and there was still 3000 or 4000 empty seats (didn't actually count and announced att was capacity). Couple that with two non sell out stanley cup final games last year makes one wonder can they rightfully keep the self titled moniker of Hockeytown?

Guest4381
( )

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  09:27:29  Reply with Quote
the real hockey town is Montreal. ALWAYS WAS! ALWAYS WILL BE!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9212
( )

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  10:07:03  Reply with Quote
you can always knows how many people go to montreal's game
21273 seats* 41 local games

872193 persons goes to montreal games, year after year after year

that's the real hockey town!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  13:09:23  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9212

you can always knows how many people go to montreal's game
21273 seats* 41 local games

872193 persons goes to montreal games, year after year after year

that's the real hockey town!!!

And not a game more than 41. Just kidding buddy.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  13:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Detriot calls itself Hockeytown USA and yeah it still should.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  15:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

Detriot calls itself Hockeytown USA and yeah it still should.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Hockeytown USA? based on championships? I guess but I would think if an NHL city was to be called Hockeytown at all then it should have the whole package including an avid fan base and I am sorry it must be a canadian team - canadian teams provided the NHL with 45% of the leagues profits.

No arguements with Montreal, most cups, crazy fans that support the team no matter what.

I have been fortunate enough to attend NHL games in almost every NHL city. Heres what I think

NHL's hockeytown is a 4 way race between Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton, and Calgary. These city's are crazy about their teams and the atmosphere at any of these venues is electric. I cannot say the same about anyhere else not even Detroit (and I have been to a lot of Redwing games).

Hockeytown USA is definetly Minneapolis/St. Paul - Minnesota as a state is hockey mad and the wild are sold out 99% or more. Also producing many hockey talents. The wild fans are as close to the avid canadian fans as you can be.
Sorry Redwing fans but if you can't sell out Cup finals and Banner raising season openers, then you can't call yourself hockeytown. Maybe in 97 and 98 but not anymore.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  15:57:25  Reply with Quote
ya dont include vancouver...i mean they have only been sold out every game since 02...unlike calg/ed
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  16:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

ya dont include vancouver...i mean they have only been sold out every game since 02...unlike calg/ed

Vancouver is a great Hockeytown, the fans are always behind them, but when I was in Vancouver and caught a game between the 'nucks and flames, the Flame fans were out doing the canuck fans. It was only one game but that is why I left them out. That would never happen in the other cities (even Ottawa which perhaps is the worst canadian Hockeytown, their fans are ignorant). Sorry if I insulted any that last comment I had a bad experience at Sens game. Anyways it puts the other four ahead in my opinion.

Edited by - Porkchop73 on 10/20/2008 16:34:52
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  16:54:40  Reply with Quote
have you seen vancouver play in calgary? i have...while there may of not been to many canuck fans in attendence, because of the score we were the only ones making noise..may of been similar to your experience in van...i bet calgary was winning that game.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page