Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Will New Jersey Make the Playoffs in 09? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest6732
( )

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  11:39:30  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Now that Brodeur is out for 3-4 months will New Jersey still make the playoffs?

Choices:

Yes
No

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  15:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before we get to hasty and write off the poor Devils, does any remember last's year when Crosby went down? Same question was asked and so many said that Pitt didn't have a chance without Crosby. What happened?? They got better!!

I am not saying this will happen with NJ, but I will give the same answer I did last time a star play went down for a team.

Brodeur is reported to be out for 3-4 months. Let's say he comes back in 3 1/2 months. That will put the team half way through March. If they play a little better than .500 hockey until then and sprinkle in about 5 OT losses, they will be right there. If they anywhere above 78 points with 15 games left, they will get there.

You also have to remember that this Devils team is pretty solid outside of the blue ice as well. Parise, Gionta, Elias, Rolston, Holik, Zubrus, Langenbrunner, Oduya, Greene, Madden. They are far from pushovers.

I am far from writing off the Devils.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  16:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with you 100% Beans15, this is a solid hockey club, look for them to pick up a goaltender in the 3 to 4 million dollar range. Should be able to pick up someone decent at that price The Devils will likely be in the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  16:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Brodeur is reported to be out for 3-4 months. Let's say he comes back in 3 1/2 months.

Brodeur Said in an interview on Thats Hockey today that at it is 4-6 months

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8171
( )

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  17:19:19  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Beans, but only 99%. Crosby is a top 10 offensive player, and Brodeur is a top 10 goalie, but a goalie is a lot more valuable in my opinion, than a star player (Crosby). You have to remember Malkin stepped up big time for the Pens in place of Crosby, but I really don't see anyone stepping up for the Devils in terms of goalkeeping replacing Brodeur, especially how they give up 30-ish shots a game. With that in mind I thought the Penguins were screwed when Crosby went down last year and look what happened, but still Brodeur's shoes are tough ones to fill. Only time will tell I suppose...
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  21:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Brodeur is the league MVP overall .. more important to his team then crosby, ovie, or ne1 else... its gunna be tough for the devils

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6732
( )

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  22:23:56  Reply with Quote
definitly gotta agree goalie is one of the hardest positions to replace. I was wondering if New Jersey was now going to stop playing the trap and play more of an offensive game. maybe edmonton can give em Roli since hes looking good right now for maybe i dunno Travis Zajac haha would be nice for edmonton to get a promising young gun for a sorta a proven vet
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  05:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comparing the Devils losing Brodeur to the Pens last year losing Crosby is like comparing beans to oranges . . . if Malkin picked up the slack for Crosby, then I suppose you're saying Kevin Weekes will play like Lundqvist in his absence?!?

Poppycock! And to say that the Devils actually have a good team is a bit of a stretch - an average, maybe slightly above average rating for the forwards, a poor rating for the defence.

Kevin Weekes has never had a winning record as a starter, and in fact only has one winning season - 2-0 as a back-up for Carolina one year. He's hot sometimes, but then he gets real cold, and the stats say that he has a career .902 save percentage. Not promising.

Devils move out of the playoff picture fast in my opinion, and stay out, even if Brodeur breaks Sawchuk's record this year when he comes back.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4910
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  08:08:32  Reply with Quote
New Jersey had injjuries to key players already this season. With Brodeur out, I predict they are gonna fight hard for last spot in the playoffs. Hard comparing a young foward like Crosby to a veteran consistantly good goaler like Brodeur. Weekes is a good goalie (not bad vs Buffalo) but is will he be good on a daily basis? Weekes doesnt have Brodeur's puckhandling skill and I doubt that he inspires confidence to the rest of team like Brodeur do.
Well, im just pissed because i was gonna win my hockey pool (with a lot of people in it) really easy but not anymore...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  08:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some interesting points. I agree that Brodeur means more to the Devils than most any other player means to their team. However, I disagree that the Devils are just a barely above average team. Without Brodeur in net they are a very good team. Without him, they are good, just not as good.

That being said, I think the Devils will see how things go for about a week or 2. No more than 6-8 games. Then, they will go looking for a goalie that can carry them if Weeks is not the guy.

It makes a guy like Dwayne Roloson very interesting. More so that Khabibulin. Roloson is a seasoned vet who has shown he can play quite well over 40ish game a season, he's a UFA at the end of the year, and he's only about $3 million. That being said, Roloson is a lot better insurance policy than Weeks going into the playoffs.

IF the Devils slip, that is the logical move, and I think Roloson can do a more than average job of holding down the fort until Fatso returns.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  09:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Before we get to hasty and write off the poor Devils, does any remember last's year when Crosby went down? Same question was asked and so many said that Pitt didn't have a chance without Crosby. What happened?? They got better!!

I am not saying this will happen with NJ, but I will give the same answer I did last time a star play went down for a team.

Brodeur is reported to be out for 3-4 months. Let's say he comes back in 3 1/2 months. That will put the team half way through March. If they play a little better than .500 hockey until then and sprinkle in about 5 OT losses, they will be right there. If they anywhere above 78 points with 15 games left, they will get there.

You also have to remember that this Devils team is pretty solid outside of the blue ice as well. Parise, Gionta, Elias, Rolston, Holik, Zubrus, Langenbrunner, Oduya, Greene, Madden. They are far from pushovers.

I am far from writing off the Devils.

Three of the guys you mentioned are also out. But I agree, the devils don't have a bad team, they are a very strong group and clearly this year they are actually able to put the puck in the net.

Ellis or Renne....
ELLIS
Go Preds Go!

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 11/05/2008 09:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Guest2918
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  12:59:51  Reply with Quote
THE DEVILS ARE POOCHED. THEY NEED STEVENS AND NEIDERMEYER TYPE PLAYERS TO OFFSET THE LOSS OF FATSO (AS BEANS LIKES TO CALL HIM). YOU NEVER KNOW THIS MAY BE THE YEAR DEVILS GET A BONIFIED GOALIE TO BACK UP BRODEUR, MAYBE A REPLACEMENT FOR THE YEARS TO COME. STILL THIS YEAR WAS NOT PROMISING FOR THEM PRIOR TO BRODEUR GOING DOWN. BRODEUR THERE BEST PLAYER BY A LANDSLIDE. ROLI IN EDMONTON NOT THE ANSWER. KEVIN WEEKS IS NOT THAT BAD. HE DON'T PLAY ALOT. DEVILS GIVE UP 2MANY SHOTS AND BRODEUR HAS BEEN STANDING ON HIS HEAD/MVP FOR HIS TEAM FOR 15 YEARS.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  13:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the main reasons the devils will get into the playoffs is because of the man who runs them. Lou Lamarillo is considered one the best in the business. There is no doubt that he would go get another goalie. Roloson or Khabibulin might do the job. Weekes cannot get this team to the playoffs and Lou knows that.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0472
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  14:31:07  Reply with Quote
I don't think they could make it with Brodeuer because of their no name defence
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  14:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think they have a chance but, i mean yeah there defence who plays the trap always makes brodeur look better than he is. but at the same time brodeur makes some big stop to keep there team in it. and i dont think weekes who hasnt played in about a century and clemmenson who is horrible can handle brodeurs job. they better hope their D (who i admit has gotton a little worse but can still play the trap) odoesnt get injured because there going to need them to win games

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  15:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder who the Canucks could get for Cory Schnieder, from what I here he is completly dominating the AHL and its not like the Canucks need him if they are planning on keeping Luongo long term.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2531
( )

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  08:17:45  Reply with Quote
If Weekes can hold up there will be no need to spend and the Devils will be right there. If they have to go to market Rolosen would be a steal who can play everyday and provide solid back up in the playoffs. As well, he's used to not playing as the "true" number one so don't look for him to get into a snit when #1 comes back.

Not a Devils fan, but anyone who thinks they are done knows nothing about hockey.
Go to Top of Page

WhalersForever8711
Top Prospect

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  11:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Devils are a toss up to make the playoffs. Brodeur is out and the main heart of this Devils team.
here is why i think yes and no.
Yes- The Devils are a defensive team, with loads of goal scorers. Zach Parise, Patrik Elias, Travis Zajac, Danius Zubrus, Brian Gionta. These guys also have some goons on the team. Theyre really solid all around including the backup netminders. Weeks is one of the most solid Backup Goalies. And, rumor has it, the Devils are looking after Manny Fernandez. Although i dont know if the Bruins will give into that, think about what Manny and Weeks would do for this team !

No- Look at the other teams in their conference: the Capitals, Hurricanes, Penguins, Rangers, Sabres, Bruins, Canadiens, and the Lightning. Thats a potential 8 playoff spots. The farthest behind the Devils in points is the Tampa Bay Lightning with 4. And without Brodeur, soon to be the winningest goalie in NHL history, that can cost them. Late March may not be good enough for a return. It may be too late !

Thats my two cents again.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8638
( )

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  19:01:56  Reply with Quote
I think the Devils will make the playoffs with kevin weekes in net, so not much to worry about... what they also need to do is put parise on a line with gionta.. and as far as the penguins go.. malkin stepped up big time and helped the pens make it last year.. im gonna go ahead and say it.. malkin is the better player.. from now on ill never overlook him again.. i had first pick in my pool this year and i took crosby over him.. ill never make thta mistake again.. yes i know its early but when you watch them play, seems as though malkin has all the right moves.. crosby trys a little too hard.
Go to Top of Page

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  19:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that the Devils will definitely make the playoffs.

No question about it, this is Broduers team. I think you will see them ride it out a while with Weekes, in the mean time will be shopping for a goalie. The Devils are a good team and Broduer was the jewell. Considering all the ice time he sees year after year, I am surprised he has not suffered a severe injury sooner.

Good lucky Marty and have a fast recovery!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9923
( )

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  21:24:56  Reply with Quote
there is no way that the devils will make the playoffs. brodeur was their entire team. and him being out 3-4 months. the devils stand no chance. oh yah and p.s.
Go Canucks
Go to Top of Page

Mikey Boy
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  11:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone has to remember that the Devils are a well coached and well managed organiztion. You can put any NHL goaltender in net and they have a good chance at the playoffs. Their forwards are disaplined there system sound. They may not have a big name blueliner but that goes back to them being a well coached team, its not one player weather it being a goalie or forward that will lead you to the cup you still need a whole team to win and the Devils have an experienced and sold core of players.

Over the years the Devils have lost some big names (Gomez, Niedemyer, Rafalski) but they always find a way to bounce back.

Devils finish 7th in the east and will play Montreal in the first round!!

MP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page