Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Who else is tired of hearing about the Leafs? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mikey Boy
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  11:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there are 5 other Canadian teams in this country. You wouldn't know it by watching CBC or TSN. Every Saturday night who's on... the leafs.
Their best player is thomas kaberle ( boring ) I would like to see more Sens and Canadians games that are not in french!

MP

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  13:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second game on Saturday night features a Canadian team. The Leafs bring in the most revenues in the NHL and with that they are keeping the sinking ships so to speak (the other teams that loose money)a float.

Why would the television networks show other games that would draw fewer ratings therefore less money, it does not make sense. Face it the Leafs are the team that bring in the money.

Toronto is the market and that is why there has been so much speculation about another team in the GTA or Southwestern Ontario. If Buttman ever gets his head out of his a$$ he would realize that and allow Balsille a franchise in T.O. or S.W. ON. It was reported yesterday that a new team in Toronto would be the 3 or 4 most $ valued in the league.

Wether you like it or not Toronto is the market with the fan and finacial support. Leaf games are sold out night in, night out for years to come. Ottawa has trouble selling out most nights. Why would they be given the prime time tv spot? The network would end up pulling hockey from that time spot or give back to the Leafs.

Sit down and watch a Leafs game this year, they are playing exciting hockey.

And for all the Leafs haters out there all I have to say is

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Guest6081
( )

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  13:38:03  Reply with Quote
fanoleaf no1 cares how much their worth they're boring and a bunch of no names. I cheer for ottawa and i can only think of a few leafs i'd want on ottawa... kabrle, schenn, kubina, and antropov. i'd much rather watch sens or habs
Go to Top of Page

Guest6081
( )

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  13:39:27  Reply with Quote
fanoleaf who says ottawa has trouble selling tickets?
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  13:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being a leaf fan I never tire of hearing about the leafs nor tire of watching them play. But I understand where non leaf fans are coming from. It would be nice to see your favourite canadian team instead of the leafs every Saturday night. The double header always features two games with canadian teams, always the first game is the leafs and the second game is always one of Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, more often then not its Vancouver.
The problem as stated many times is not with the leafs but with CBC trying to make the most money it can. That means more leaf games because that is where the money is. Don't hate the leafs for that reason, hate them because you a Sens fan or a Habs fan, or any other type of fan but don't hate because of the greedy buggers at the CBC.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9640
( )

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  14:29:55  Reply with Quote
I have been sitting down watching the leafs for 25 years, some years there exciting some not ,the point is this Toronto is like canada's NY they only care about themselves. If a station did not show a leafs game the only people that will complain are torontoians. and you can't tell me that there are more leafs fans in canada then canadian fans that's horse crap!

Canada is a true hockey country and if they showed a habs or a sens game once in a while there not going to lose ratings only a leafs fan would think that because they would not want to see that happen.

and i don't hate the leafs there canadian all im saying is alittle change once in a while wouldn't hurt.
Who's rating would be better on a night Leafs and Thrashers or
Habs and Pens. I bet 80% of canada would chose the habs and pens,
stations should chose the best games on any given night. ratings might even go up

the bottom line is Toronto is not canada and the leafs do not make the NHL the rest of Canada would like to see other canadian teams without having to stay up till midnight!!

I am not a habs or a sens fan im a hockey fan!
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  14:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't the place to be complaining about it. If you really cared, you (and many others) would be writing CBC and voicing your displeasure. I doubt they even care that there are a lot of people who don't want to watch Leaf games nationally anymore. Im not one of them mind you, but I sympathize with your plight. If you check the schedule for the Leafs, there are a couple of saturday nights that they don't play. Im not sure if that was CBC's decision or the Leafs, but I always thought they played every saturday. Maybe your wish is slowly coming true.
GO Leafs GO!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  15:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the Saturday afternoon Leafs games!!!

I start watching the game at about 4pm (I'm in Vancouver) and by about 4:12 I'm completely asleep. Serioulsy! No offense meant to the Leafs or Leaf fans at all, but for some reason I always fall asleep watching the first game of the double header. Maybe it's Bob Cole's soothing prose echoing gently in my head that lulls me into slumber...

"...and the puck's brought back out over the Leafs blue line...oh no...maybe it's not...it's kept in at the line....oh baby things are really heating up now...." .......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzz......snort.....sorry I dozed off thinking about it.

Nope...I definitely love the Leafs games.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  06:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

I love the Saturday afternoon Leafs games!!!

I start watching the game at about 4pm (I'm in Vancouver) and by about 4:12 I'm completely asleep. Serioulsy! No offense meant to the Leafs or Leaf fans at all, but for some reason I always fall asleep watching the first game of the double header. Maybe it's Bob Cole's soothing prose echoing gently in my head that lulls me into slumber...

"...and the puck's brought back out over the Leafs blue line...oh no...maybe it's not...it's kept in at the line....oh baby things are really heating up now...." .......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzz......snort.....sorry I dozed off thinking about it.

Nope...I definitely love the Leafs games.

That's a great idea! Living in Ontario, I have to stay up until 1 am to catch the end of the late game. Unfortunately, the Leafs games have been more entertaining this year, and as a result, I tend to tire out after watching 5 hours of HNIC well into the night. Bring back last years' Leafs! Either that, or start the double-header at 4 pm EST. You westerners get everything!

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4477
( )

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  06:51:10  Reply with Quote
Of course everyone outside of TO is tired of hearing about the Leafs. Honestly, if TO gets another franchise (and I really hope they do since the market can easily support it), that would probably moderate some of the over-the-top-Leaf-mania that is observed on HNIC and on web-sites such as this. If a TO hockey fan switches allegiance to another TO-area team, it would be good. Then maybe then they would see how "over-the-top" Leaf fans and the media are.....I really would like to see TO with another team, they can easily support it and thus deserve it. Maybe then we'll hear a little less about the Leafs.

Hab fan.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  08:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even on here i see 14 different topics on the most recent topics posted about ... give it up and lets talk hockey not golf

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  08:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this issue is a little less relevant now than it was 10+ years ago. Back in the day when there was only one HNIC game and it was almost always the Leafs, that was painful. However, the double header brings in the rest of the country. Most likely you will see a Toronto game early and, because of the scheduling, those games are often Leafs/Habs or Leafs/Sens. The 2nd game is always another Canadian team, and often two Canadian teams.

Granted, I am still a little tired of hearing about the the Leafs on TSN. However, RSN bringing in regional coverage was brilliant and should give the regular non-Toronto fan enough games to satisfy their thirst. I know as an Oilers fan, 72 of the 82 games are televised either locally or nationally. The other 10 I will frequent the pub around the corner and catch on PPV.

The one thing that would make hockey even better is opening up Saturday night hockey to other networks. Today, only CBC is allowed to show hockey games on Saturday night. Perhaps when the contract is up between the NHL and CBC, they will renegotiate the contract to allow TSN and RSN to also show games on Saturday night.

That, and only that, would give a true picture of what the fans in Canada want to watch. Today, the early HNIC game is the only game on, so it gets all the viewers. It would be very interesting to see a ratings battle between CBC showing the Leafs and TSN or RSN showing a Habs or Sens game not featuring the Leafs in the same time slot.

Regardless of if this happens or not, we will still be subject to the reporting on TSN that is almost completely driven by Toronto sports teams. However, I have a little piece of advise for those like me who don't like listening to Ron Wilson interviews and indepth panel discussions on the Leafs.................

CHANGE THE CHANNEL!

Edited by - Beans15 on 11/12/2008 08:34:41
Go to Top of Page

Guest4477
( )

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  09:40:23  Reply with Quote
I completely agree with fanoleaf and anyone else who is FOR giving TO another franchise. Why can't the NHL execs see that TO is a huge, hockey hungry market. They could easily support 2 teams and they would probably be both in the top 5 for revenue. When a team sucks as much as the Leafs and the fans are still as fanatical and rabid as that, hell give them 3 franchises, that'll spread the focus onto 3 teams and we won't hear as much about the Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2712
( )

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  10:36:52  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4477

I completely agree with fanoleaf and anyone else who is FOR giving TO another franchise. Why can't the NHL execs see that TO is a huge, hockey hungry market. They could easily support 2 teams and they would probably be both in the top 5 for revenue. When a team sucks as much as the Leafs and the fans are still as fanatical and rabid as that, hell give them 3 franchises, that'll spread the focus onto 3 teams and we won't hear as much about the Leafs.

Another team is not what Toronto needs. People need to understand, as far as hockey goes (international hockey aside), Toronto is a Leafs town and not a hockey town. Good examples are the former IHL team Toronto Roadrunners, and current AHL team Toronto Marlies. They didn't/don't draw diddly squat. You know why? Because it's NOT THE LEAFS!!
If you ask me, Toronto is the last place the NHL should look at for a new franchise.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0406
( )

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  10:55:04  Reply with Quote
shouldn't canada team be a winning team?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  11:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Mikey Boy - if you're tired of the Leafs, you're in the wrong country!

Change the channel, or deal with it - it's not like things are going to change anytime soon in terms of coverage. I mean, if it's like this with a mediocre team with no stars, imagine what it would be like with a really good team!

And, our best player is not Kaberle. I'd say Toskala is, followed by Kubina, then Antropov . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  11:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Giving toronto 2 more teams would just give people more teams to hate in toronto. All 3 teams would receive more coverage than the entire NHL combined. Besides what will we call them? The Toronto Oak Leafs? The Toronto Pine Needles? The Toronto "For The Love Of God Win A Stanley Cup"s ?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9277
( )

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  13:16:19  Reply with Quote
haha k, I'm a Leafs fan, but that was pretty funny.

Yeah, I can see how fans of other Canadian teams would prefer seeing other match-ups, but I am definitely happy to see the Leafs play every Saturday night. Especially this year when they are playing such an exciting brand of hockey. They may not win every night, but hey, at least they are on the upswing.

Last couple years it was like watching a sinking ship, it was just depressing. At least the Sens will be able to empathize soon enough bahaha
Go to Top of Page

Mikey Boy
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  13:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see once again its all about toronto and the leafs, what about winnipeg we have a brand new arena (MTS center) and in this day and age winnipeg can easily support a team again. But no, everyone is always focused on toronto having two teams now.

You really find out how much of a hockey fan you are when they take your team away. Winnipeg lives, eats and breathes hockey!
We get 10 to 12 thousand people showing up every night to watch the Moose ( AHL). Give us a team like the Canes or lighting sold out every night!!
The NHL knows that too because we almost Pens before they were bailed out.

MP
Go to Top of Page

Guest2779
( )

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  13:59:47  Reply with Quote
Mikey Boy, I'm tired of hearing your B.S. It's not are fault no one cares about your favorite team. Either grow to like the leafs or grow to frig off and tough it out.
Go to Top of Page

Mikey Boy
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  14:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
typical toronto attitude!

MP
Go to Top of Page

Guest4982
( )

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  16:28:29  Reply with Quote
Yep, typical Leaf insanity. I'd love to see a team in Winterpeg.
Go to Top of Page

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  16:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What other team has as much fan support as the Buds. No matter where they play you can hear the fan support - in the states or in Canada.

What other team can say the same.

Face it the Leafs are the team.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  20:08:21  Reply with Quote
What other teams can have an actual word as their team name? 29 of em, that's who.
Go to Top of Page

TimHorton
Top Prospect

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2008 :  07:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have got to say I am not a Leafs Fan , however what other team can continue to let their fans down year after yaer, but still fill the arena game after game ? Leaf Fans seem to gain momentum through the year, other teams have fan support but none of them ralley like leaf fans.
(in my own words)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page