Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 2009 World Juniors Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  05:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Given the talent available for this years Team Canada at the World Junior tournament in Ottawa. Where do think Canada will finish.

Results:
Gold   [80%] 16 votes
Silver   [10%] 2 votes
Bronze   [5%] 1 votes
Other   [5%] 1 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 20 counted  »»   Last Vote: 01/04/2009 01:00:52 

Edited by - Porkchop73 on 11/22/2008 05:24:46

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  05:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the rest of the members but I get right into the World Junior tournament and love watching the upcoming talent for the NHL. As usual, I expect Canada to bring home the gold, backed by a solid performance from John Tavares. Realistically I think they will get a tougher challenge from the Russians this year and Sweden will have many retruning memebers from last years squad. Canada/Sweden will have a battle of potential #1s in the draft.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  07:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont know, did they win goal last year?, im thinking and hoping gold but i don really know how their team will be

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  08:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another question to go along with this.. who will start in goal? Oliver roy? I would like him to make the team, he plays for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (the Q team in my town), he is awesome. Only time will tell I guess.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  08:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They did win gold last year, the 4th in a row. The invites to the selection camp won't come out til first week of Dec but if your one the people follows junior hockey as well, you will know that most of the highly touted junior eligible players are playing in the NHL (Steven Stamkos, Drew Doughty, Sam Gagner, Luke Schenn, Kyle Turris, Branden Sutter,Colton Gillies, and Josh Bailey). So with the talent left, it creates another young squad led by John Tavares and likely Zach Boychuk.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  19:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a battle against Russia! 6-5 Canada in the shootout. Great game! Off to meet Sweden in the finals.
Go to Top of Page

Hustler90
Top Prospect

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  20:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man I don't think I was ever that pumped watching a hockey game in my life. Canada's off to the gold medal game, but after a dramatic finish like that it really takes a toll on you.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  22:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, very exciting game. Sadly I missed most of it, including the entire 3rd + OT + Shootout. I was visiting family.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  03:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canadas new junior hockey hero - Jordan Eberle!!! Amazing semi-final game. I was at a OHL game and more people were watching the tv monitors around the concession areas then they were the game.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  06:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GO CANADA GO!!! WOO WOO

I smell GOLD!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4070
( )

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  10:35:08  Reply with Quote
Another exciting finish for Canada. Hopefully they can use the energy from it to continue the drive for five. Tavares will need to find more open ice and the team needs to play better defense.

Just wondering...of the last 3 years which finish do you find was the most exciting?
a) Leksand vs USA - Toews vs Kane in shootout
b) Pardubice vs Sweden - Halischuk's overtime goal to win gold after Swedish comeback in third
c) Ottawa vs Russia - Eberle's tying goal with 5.4 seconds left and evetual winner in the shootout
d) or any other exciting finishes?
Go to Top of Page

Guest5443
( )

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  14:18:41  Reply with Quote
That was one of the best sport viewing in a long time. Sorry I have to include another sport but after watching CDN vs RUS in a shoot out then turning to the IND vs SD game that went into overtime. Can't ask for back to back viewing events.
Go to Top of Page

J-Dog
Top Prospect

Canada
39 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  18:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree it was a very good game to watch and I'm glad the team is off to the gold medal game. I have to say though that the team isn't doesn't seem to be playing its best. They played better against Russia but it was too close for comfort if you asked me. Sure it took heart to pull it off, but I was at the game vs. Germany, and there was barely an effort whatsoever. I remember saying that the next game if they dont pick it up they wont fair very well. So what happened next? They played the States and were losing 3-0 at one point. They won 7-4 with 2 empty netters so lets say it was more 5-4 and they almost lost it in the end. I dont know, i'd say they are pretty lucky to have done what they have done and they probably deserve it.
Another thing is this Tavares kid, great hands, great hockey mind, and great playmaker. Sound familiar? Gretzky was the same way except a little smaller. The difference is Tavares doesn't have a nice stride, at least compared to some of the others. I just wish during the Germany game he wouldn't have floated so much. I would have taken 3 or 4 players easily before him in a draft based on that game. You cant be on every night but if he does the same in the NHL we might see a Canadian Kovalchuk, loads of talent- no will to use it for any good beyond casually making himself a nice stats sheet.
That's just based on what i saw that night and parts of games i've seen. I haven't followed his every move so I hope I'm wrong.
Just my 10 cents

-J-Dog
Go to Top of Page

Guest4180
( )

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  19:19:47  Reply with Quote
GOLD BABY!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8332
( )

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  07:45:22  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4180

GOLD BABY!!!!!!!!

You know everyone is so up on Tavares and Hodgson.... I was really impressed with Myers. Buffalo's got a gem in that guy. What a defencemen during those 4 penalties in the 2nd. Oskar Moller was absolutely frustrated by Myers repeatedly the entire game.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  09:43:52  Reply with Quote
You got to love Subban and Hodgson (Great picks by Mtl and Vancouver). Subban, seems to be as genuinely into the game as Ovechkin or Iginla. And I think Atlanta will really benefit from what Esposito got out of this tournament.

As for the upcoming draftees...

Outside of the obvious Tavares/Hedman (who may have lost the possibility of #1 from this tourney, though he wasn't 100%)

Ryan Ellis has to be looking good for a defensive PP quarterback
The kid Jaroslav Janus (Slovak goalie) has to be picked up by someone

damn gotta love the world juniors!!
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  10:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually thought that altough Subban played exciting and spirited hockey he was also very sloppy and many times out of position. He has to calm down and pick his spots ALOT better.

Trust me when I say that was the short version of my Subban analysis, I had "discussion" last night with one of my die hard Habs fan friends....so stubborn, even when I told I thought he had a great future and it was still like I spit in his face by finding a negative with anyone even remotely associated with the Habs. But that's another story.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page