Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Sundin Centers the Sedins? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  15:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Will the newest Vancouver Canuck, Mats Sundin, center the Sedins on the first line?

Choices:

Yes
No
Don''''t care

Jephman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  16:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Vancouver would be crazy not to have Sundin center the Sedin twins. The only reason I could see Sundin centering another line would be if they aren't getting secondary scoring (Which they have been getting recently), and want to stick Sundin with Kesler, Demitra or Hansen.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  16:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think yes especially on the PP, will be one of the best first lines in the league (I said one of the best not the best). I think even more intriguing is does this make the 'Nucks at legitimate contender? Could Sundin, along with Luongo be the ticket to the cup? I think he may be the missing piece in Vancouver.
Go to Top of Page

rebekah
Top Prospect

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  16:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sundin centering the Sedin twins sounds like an excellent idea - however I don't think we should be getting our hopes up for some whirlwind of goal scoring out of a threesome like the Sedins and Sundin together.

It could very possibly happen, but anyone who knows the history of the twins and their previous attempts at a good 3rd line mate can attest to the fact that they don't just need a good player on their line, they need someone that fits with their style of play and they have good chemistry with.

I think its a 50/50 chance right now, until we see them play together that is.
Go to Top of Page

bonfire420
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  16:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's a good idea in theory but Henrik is a natural center and has never player wing (as far as I know) in his career. Based on the success the Sedins had with Hansen last night I would keep that line together and create a "second first line" of Sundin centering Demitra and Wellwood or Raymond. On the power play however, I think Vigneault will experiment with Sundin on the Sedin line...

On a side note, this is going to be a nightmare for all those commentators that are always mixing up the Sedins with Sundin!
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  17:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a prime example of greed in hockey. I love Sundin, he's been the Leafs Captain for about a decade, but I really disrespect his choice of leaving Toronto and the Buds getting nothing in return. His "reasoning" that he wanted to go to a contender doesn't hold much weight now either, because realistically the Rangers are much more competitive and an overall better team then the Canucks. But I digress, it's his prerogative so you need to respect that.

Onto the matter at hand, I would expect Sundin to go on the 2nd line initially to balance out the scoring and to get a feel for competitive hockey again. Not saying he will be here permanently (maybe 2-3 games), but he will initially start here. I believe Demetra will be his RWer, and on his left would be either Mason Raymond, Kyle Wellwood or Alex Burrows. Eventually, I could see Henrik moving to the wing to make room for Sundin, but I think that will be experimented with in practice first, and then on the powerplay.

Mark Sat Feb 21, 2009 on your calenders ladies and gentlemen. Sundin returns to Toronto, no doubt to a chorus of boos.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  17:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

This is a prime example of greed in hockey. I love Sundin, he's been the Leafs Captain for about a decade, but I really disrespect his choice of leaving Toronto and the Buds getting nothing in return. His "reasoning" that he wanted to go to a contender doesn't hold much weight now either, because realistically the Rangers are much more competitive and an overall better team then the Canucks. But I digress, it's his prerogative so you need to respect that.

Let's keep this on topic everyone. There are lot's of other topics about this in the forums. For this one it's about his line prospects with the Canucks.
Go to Top of Page

Savitar
Top Prospect

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  19:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would personally put him on a second line, perhaps with Wellwood and Demitra, but moving him up to a line with the twins would be a good move when they really need a goal, or during powerplay situations. Henrik Sedin is such a natural playmaker, he sets up a forward line nearlyas well as Sundin, so it makes sense to spread that playmaking across two lines. This is especially true considering that most of the secondary scoring (apart from Demitra, natch) is quite young, and would undoubtedly benefit from veteran leadership. Also a good idea just out of kindness to the play-by-play folks:

It's Sedin to Sedin, across to Sundin, back to Sedin, now over to Sedin, fed in front of the net and its Sundin with the shot...

Worst. Announcing. Gig. Ever.
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  20:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it will be best if Sundin centers a line with Demitra and Raymond on his wings.
Go to Top of Page

HockeyFan12
Top Prospect

15 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  08:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you guys realize that Sundin and Henrik are both centres? I dont think they are going to all of the sudden throw henrik to his off wing. Sundin should be centering demitra and someone with speed either raymond or kesler and then move the other of the two up with the sedins
Go to Top of Page

rebekah
Top Prospect

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  10:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While this is true that Sundin centering the twins would mean a nightmare for announcers - I think they'll just go to saying 'Henrik' or 'Daniel' to make it easier on themselves and everyone else.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  11:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HockeyFan12

Do you guys realize that Sundin and Henrik are both centres? I dont think they are going to all of the sudden throw henrik to his off wing. Sundin should be centering demitra and someone with speed either raymond or kesler and then move the other of the two up with the sedins

Yes I was aware of that when I posted the poll. It's not uncommon for players to move to a wing. Especially when you're bringing in a strong centerman like Sundin. This issue is that Henrik, Mats, Kyle, and Ryan are all centers (plus at least 3 or 4 other guys who have made the roster this year) Does this mean that Wellwood drops down to the 3rd line and Kesler goes to the 4th? It's actually not a bad idea really, but I don't think it will happen because Wellwood is their best face off man at almost 57% - you can't give him 3rd line minutes when he's your go-to-guy.

hmmm...the more I think about this, it could happen. Wellwood is already only playing 13 minutes a game, which is 3rd line minutes. His points are a respectable high 3rd line points. Maybe this is a better fit after all. He could be used more in critical faceoffs. Interesting...but in this scenario Kesler would lose half his minutes, unless they rotated him with Wellwood, which is pretty common for Vigneault
Go to Top of Page

Guest4735
( )

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  13:04:35  Reply with Quote
Now we just need to get on on the all-star ballot! haha
I think its got to be demitra and raymond.
Speed, hustle and playmaking.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4943
( )

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  16:25:09  Reply with Quote
no way will sundin play with the sedins.. henrik is already is solid centreman. i can almost guarantee he'll be in a first line up with demitra and maybe wellwood or even kesler.. even though they are already centers, their post isnt as well established as the sedins'
Go to Top of Page

runtman444
Top Prospect

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  21:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sundin should be on a line with wellwood and demita and edler should be put with the twins. CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4934
( )

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  00:40:17  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it's been said since I only scanned this thread but I think Sundin would be better suited to play the RW for the twins, he's fully capable of doing so...

You could even get away with putting him on the LW with Wellwood at center and Demitra on the right, that would be a good line... although I cry at how Toronto that line is lol... it'd be interesting tho since Demitra is a lefty and Sundin is a righty

In any case I see him being switched to the wing for some reason...
Go to Top of Page

Guest8082
( )

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  01:07:30  Reply with Quote
Sundin should definately center the first line, but the sedins should take on the second scoring line. Put Sundin with Demitra and Raymond on the first line... or... even though i think he's been a wash, give Bernier a shot with Sundin and Demitra
Go to Top of Page

Lunchbox
Top Prospect

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  02:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Sundin with the twins is a good idea, as long as the Canucks can keep up the secondary scoring. As a plus, I think Sundin can thrive on their style of play. If the Sedins can gift wrap Anson Carter a thirty goal season, this should be quite a dominant line. But again, it wouldn't leave much to spread out the opposing defense with. As a canuck fan I'm excited to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4944
( )

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  08:23:40  Reply with Quote
Sundin has to play with another forward combo, The Sedins produce well enough already and they will benefit by not always playing against the oppositions best lines. This will be fun to watch!
Go to Top of Page

Guest5285
( )

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  18:25:05  Reply with Quote
sundin with sedins is a terrible idea. the need a WINGER with hustle, grit and sweet hands. anson carter was a good fit. plus sundin wont be playing anything but center if hes getting 10 mil a year and moving henrik to the opposite side of daniel is pointless seeing as they dominate other teams down low with their cycle which is useless if they are on opposite sides of the ice. id like to see raymond with the sedins although hansen did look good with them.... sundin with kesler and either pyatt or demitra
Go to Top of Page

deadalive
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  02:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The answer has to be sometimes. Vigneault is always messing with line combos. Sundin will probably start most games on the first line with Demitra and Wellwood: And if the Canucks get down by a goal or two, be put on a line with Sedins. For sure they'll be together on the first PP unit though.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6013
( )

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  09:31:42  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if he played with demitra but i don't know much about vancouver i hope it works out!
go nucks
Go to Top of Page

Guest5601
( )

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  10:54:12  Reply with Quote
I doubt he'll play with burrows. Burrows and Kesler and a solid combo with good chemistry and a perfect line 3 duo. I would agree that Sundin will be on line 2, probably for a couple of games to see how he is, and then we'll see alot of the lines mixing up to get a better fit. But I am 100% sure that neither the Sedins or burrows/kesler will be split up to fit Sundin in.
Go to Top of Page

Mikey Boy
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  19:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only on the powerplay they need other combinations that work!

MP
Go to Top of Page

Guest2134
( )

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  02:55:54  Reply with Quote
One of the Sedins plays center. I don't see him transitioning to the wing for them to put Sundin on that line. I still think the idea of having him on the Wellwood-Raymond line (which is what they've been saying) is the best idea. Put him on a fast young line. Watch him get lots of points.

Also, like it's been said before, most announcers who do more than a regular amount of Canucks games calls them Henrik and Daniel, so, even if they play together on the Powerplay or whatever, Henrik passing to Daniel, over to Sundin would be kind of easy.

That is, unless you're Bob Cole, who has called the Sedins Sundins before, and not even when they were playing Toronto.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5686
( )

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  00:57:22  Reply with Quote
can't see Henrik on a wing... I think we'll see Sundin with Demitra, while Wellwood, Raymond and perhaps others will get a look on the other wing. Hopefully the remaining $3M can be used to get a better fit playing with the Sedin's... then we can forget about Pyatt... his contributions are too few and far between.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0754
( )

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  11:31:21  Reply with Quote
They'll want to have two strong scoring lines so Sundin would go with Demitra and another winger. Coach V has some wierd ideas so it might not be a natural scorer like Wellwood. God forbid he put Pyatt out there, he's such a floater. Raymond or Wellwood would be my choice but V will no doubt have other ideas. For the time being Hanson stays with the twins, Bernier probably stays with the third line and who knows who sits on any given night. If it was me, I'd dress Hordichuk or Brown but not both. I would also expect the 'nucks to try to shop around one of their extra forwards. Their D has been pretty injury prone lately and they could use one more strong D man to shore things up.

On the PP you could see Sundin with the Sedins from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2717
( )

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  12:17:00  Reply with Quote
Sundin as he stands, is slow and clearly not in game shape.IMO the sedins are his best fit...if he wants to ease into the game and really have no role besides putting the puck into the net, which the cancuks desperately need and Sundin can do. Why not stick a guy that can tap the puck into the net with the sedins. I dont know how many times i have seen bernier or wellwood...or whoever is with the sedins miss the open net. Scoring the gifts from the sedins will not only give him a chance to ease into the game, but give Sundin the confidence he needs to develop his scoring touch. Once he feels comfortable, move him onto his own line where he is the center of attention again. We cannot expect him to centre the first line and be a dominant force immediately. And i have had enough of the announcers and critics blaming sundin for taking penalties. Look at the size of the guy!! He is what the cancuks need and the only thing hindering the team is AV and our useless back up goaltenders.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page