Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Luongo/Bertuzzi Trade Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2006 :  19:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check it out! This is exactly what Vancouver needed!

http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=h062315A

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  06:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though Luongo refused to sign with Florida (for reasonable money), Florida got gipped big time.

I can't wait to see what trades are next!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2006 :  16:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's a pretty even trade. Here's why. Sorry Babs it might be a long one...

On the surface it looks like a slightly better deal for the Canucks because Luongo is a bonnified top 10 goalie (maybe better on the right team) and because Bertuzzi is labeled as "damaged" goods.

But here is the thing, if Bertuzzi gets back into form (He's still young) he can absolutely rip up the league. We got a taste of it here for a couple seasons and the guy really is unstoppable. And in the new NHL he should fit in since he is an incredible skater! I truly believe that a change of scenery is what this guy needs.

You say "that's a risk for Florida though". Well the risk for Vancouver is that Luongo might not even sign here. Look at the deals he rejected in Florida ($30 mil over 5 years and/or $25 mil over 4). Not to mention his wife is from Florida and he just bought a house there.

Now throw in the fact that the Canucks traded one of the leagues up-and-coming goalies in Alex Auld and the Panthers did pretty good.

The D-men (Allen & Krajicek) are a wash. I don't know much about Krajicek but I can tell you that Allen is going to have an amazing career.

So I think it's a better deal for Florida than you think.

Hands cramping...must stop.

Check out this follow up article...

http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=h062404A
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  08:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still can't believe Nonis managed to get more than a new set of pucks for Bertuzzi. The Canucks got a great deal because they got the best player - its that simple. I rank Luongo 3rd behind Kiprusoff and Brodeur. How often do you get a shot at one of the top 3 players in the world? How often have we all heard that the Goaltender is the most important position in hockey?

Bert got what 70 points this year? Big deal he didn't forecheck, backcheck, throw hits, or look like he was even slightly interested in working hard. The final play of the final game for the Canucks this season said it all. Bertuzzi watched Joe Thornton walk by him and score in OT - and end all hopes of making the playoffs.

I am so sick of people saying that Bert is an elite player. Joe Thornton is an elite player - 120 points. Bert is not.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  09:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the deal but I hope the Canucks can sign Luongo. I just heard him interviewed for the first time on local radio and he stated that he was a bit surprised to be moved as he thought he was going to sign in Florida. He also said he didn't want to make too many rash statements about signing a long term deal as it has only been two days and he and his agnet will need some time, but also said he is looking forward to coming to Vancouver to help the team win and doesn't see a problem with getting a long term deal signed.

I love the deal and agree that the deal was a good one for both teams. Bert will do well in Florida - Luongo will do well in Vancouver. Allen was good and noone sticks up for his teammates better but in the end he is replaceable and Krajicek could be the one to replace him. So long Bald Auld.

Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  10:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure it could have just come down to the fact that Bertuzzi just wanted to leave Vancouver and Luongo wanted to leave Florida or whatever. The thing is that Bertuzzi has become one of those players who's more of a distraction than anything else. On paper, this deal was a complete ripoff for Florida and I stand by that. The only thing that could swing this deal the other way is if Bertuzzi follows in Heatley's footsteps, flourishing somewhere other than where all the attention is.

Leigh, just a typical Vancouverite aren't ya! :P
Go to Top of Page

NuckH8R
Top Prospect

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  09:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Canucks gave up way too much for an unproven goalie that will probably end up leaving as a free agent next summer. I am just glad the Wild picked up Demitra - now that was a great trade. I can't wait to see Gaborik and Demitra play together - I predict playoffs for the Wild.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  09:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Roberto Luongo will sign today. 4 years - $6.8 million. Does anyone know what happens to the qualifying offer he signed. I mean does he play for $3.2 million next year or $6.8?

Go to Top of Page

NuckH8R
Top Prospect

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  09:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TSN reported $6.8 per yr for 4 yrs - Sports net is reporting 6 in yr 1, 6.5 in yr 2, 7 in yr 3 and 7.5 in yr 4. I guess Nonis is counting on the cap continuing to go up.
Go to Top of Page

the hockey guy
Rookie

Canada
135 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  10:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree that it is a fairly even trade

both teams were taking a huge risk...bertuzzi might ever play up to his potential and luongo might not sign in vancouver

jo paulo
Go to Top of Page

nazzy_19
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  21:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a bit late buddy. luongo's here for 3 years and 'tuzzi has 8 points.

Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  07:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya but now Loungo is proving his worth and Bert seems to have faded away....again.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  08:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luongo is as advertised. Good riddance on Bertuzzi. I would rather have a bunch of guys with half Berts skills, and twice his effort level. He is bad news and will never win anything. With Luongo, the Canucks have a shot at the playoffs, and once your in anything can happen.

Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  09:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well put pucker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To: