Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Steve Mason the future goalie of the NHL? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  20:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Do you think rookie goalie Steve Mason from the Columbus Blue Jackets (from Oakville, Ontario) is the Future Great Goalie of the NHL? He's only played 20 games, he's got 12 wins, 8 losses, only 34 goals against, his goals against average is well under 2, best save % in the NHL, 5 shutouts this season and 3 Shutout in a row in his last 3 games. He's on fire......

what do you think?

Choices:

YES
NO
Maybe, too early to tell

Jephman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  01:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's obviously way too early to tell, but he definitely has the skills to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  17:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its way to early to tell, just like other goalies like bernier,pogge,corey shneider, they have to be playing many games in the NHL to tell. actually
i find that Steve Mason's Stats in the NHL this year have been good. not exactly good enough to be called a future goalie of the NHL. after all its his first year in the NHL, players dont know much about him such as his weaknesses.

here are his stats

Wins=13 Losses=7 OT=1 GA=34 SA= 572 Saves Made= 537!!!
G.AA= 1.69 Sv% .938

we'll have to see, but i wouldnt call him the goalie of the future just yet......

his g.aa and save % are leagye leading at the moment. and 5 SO, on a team like columbus isnt half bad either.

Leafsfan_94

Edited by - Leafsfan_94 on 01/02/2009 21:32:09
Go to Top of Page

Hustler90
Top Prospect

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  14:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is good there is no doubt about it, but he has got major competition. Way too early to tell. 20 games is a small number when you look how many games Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy have played.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  05:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hustler90

He is good there is no doubt about it, but he has got major competition. Way too early to tell. 20 games is a small number when you look how many games Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy have played.

Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy????? You want to talk about the best Terry Sawchuck, Ed Befour and Roberto Luongo are better
Go to Top of Page

Hustler90
Top Prospect

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  16:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

quote:

Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy????? You want to talk about the best Terry Sawchuck, Ed Befour and Roberto Luongo are better

Wow its like talking to a little kid. I know Luongo, Sawchuk and Belfour are also good goalies but I just reference two great goalie. I'm not going to sit here and list off every goalie to compare Mason to. Grow up hanley, please.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9235
( )

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  21:54:56  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

quote:

I dont think belfour is as good as broudeur or roy, and those 2 could give luongo a run for his money when in their prime
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  07:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im with most people on this. It is far to earlie to tell just how good Mason is. If his start in the NHL is a sighn for things to come he will be a top 5 goalie in the NHL in the next couple years.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9529
( )

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  13:40:31  Reply with Quote
how can you put belfour with brodeur and roy?
look at the stats and what theyve done
Belfour- 484 wins, 1 cup, 2 vezinas, career .906 %
Roy- most wins(551), 4 cups and his first was as a rookie, 3 vezinas, record 3 conn smythes, 11 all star games
Broduer-538 wins, 96 shutouts, career .914%, 4 vezinas, 3 cups, 10 all star games.
Belfour was fantastic but he is not better than Roy and Brodeur
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  17:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9529

how can you put belfour with brodeur and roy?
look at the stats and what theyve done
Belfour- 484 wins, 1 cup, 2 vezinas, career .906 %
Roy- most wins(551), 4 cups and his first was as a rookie, 3 vezinas, record 3 conn smythes, 11 all star games
Broduer-538 wins, 96 shutouts, career .914%, 4 vezinas, 3 cups, 10 all star games.
Belfour was fantastic but he is not better than Roy and Brodeur

look at the teams Roy played for Montreal was a very strong hockey club back then and Colorado was the best defensive and offensive team when Roy played there... Belfour played for Chicago most of his career not a very good team but he played great...He was amazing in Chicago, Dallas, Toronto and Florida he had 484 wins in 963 games 76 shutouts that's more than Roy, a career goals against average of 2.50.. I'd say yes he was better than Roy and up there with the best in the NHL goalies of all time with Sawchuk and arguably Brodeur. Belfours career stats are more impressive than Roy for sure

Patrick Roy played more games than Belfour. 551 wins in 102i9 games, 66 shutouts a career goals against average of 2.54, Belfours was better but Roy played on better teams throughout his career.

Martin Brodeur too has played more games than Belfour and he has better stats, but then again Scott Clemmensen is proving that any goalie would look good on New Jersey not saying that Brodeur isn't a great goalie cause he is but playing for a great team like New Jersey definitely helps a lot, but if Brodeur played for Chicago most of his career and Belfour played for New Jersey his whole career Belfour would have around 580 to 600 wins and close to 100 shutouts or more
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  18:09:02  Reply with Quote
hanley dont we all just love it when you pull your woulda, coulda , shoulda stats out of nowhere. judging by many of your other leafs blinded posts i cant help but think you feel belfour was better because he played for the leafs and roy was a montreal player
Go to Top of Page

Guest9529
( )

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  18:26:41  Reply with Quote
couldev, wouldev, shouldev. just because clemmenson played well during brodeurs injury does not mean ANY goalie could step in and do the same. the devils are a good defensive team but that does not mean you dont need a strong goaltender. many teams who are good solid teams dont win cups, san jose in recent years. no matter what your "what if" stats say, the fact of the matter is both roy and brodeur have won more games, cups, vezinas. sure if belfour started playing for the best team in the league when he was 18 and played til he was 50 he COULDEV won more, but he didnt. he had a great team with dallas and won a cup and played some some mediocre to good teams. dont forget roy took his team to the cup finals in his rookie year, one of the better performances you will see thorugh the playoffs. even further, just cause your a goalie on a good team doesnt put you in elite company, i would not say osgood is as good as belfour and he has played on a great team. anyway, theres always that small percntage of people who will try to take away the recnognition that future hall of famers deserve. also, i apologize for getting away from the topic, Mason is playing outstanding and looks so confident i hope he keeps doing well!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9743
( )

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  20:20:50  Reply with Quote
Anyone take a look at Pekka Rinne for the Nashville Predators? His numbers are quite close to Mason's with fewer games played......oh and he also shut out the Detroit Red Wings last night in the Preds 8-0 win. Yes that is right -- the Preds over the Wings 8-0!
Go to Top of Page

Bozonator
Top Prospect

57 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  01:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What makes Steve Mason so dynamite to me, and possibly bringing up the idea of him being the goaltender of the future is he is just 20. Which is 6 years less than Rinne. But something that makes it that much more amazing for me is he just came off was it two surgeries on the same knee I believe.
But it is way to early to tell. Price last year was pretty much deemed the goalie of the future and well now he is having problems, but I have confidence he will come out of it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  11:21:23  Reply with Quote
how can you possibly say that belfour is comparable to brodeur and roy? did you meet a liquored up eddie at the bar and get offered 500 million to say this bahahahaha...Brodeur is about to pass sawchucks SO record and Roy's Win record.....and eddie.....well hes about to passout
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  06:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bozonator

What makes Steve Mason so dynamite to me, and possibly bringing up the idea of him being the goaltender of the future is he is just 20. Which is 6 years less than Rinne. But something that makes it that much more amazing for me is he just came off was it two surgeries on the same knee I believe.
But it is way to early to tell. Price last year was pretty much deemed the goalie of the future and well now he is having problems, but I have confidence he will come out of it.

but price wasn't a constant last year, he had Huet to lead the team into second place while he was in the minors ,, Mason has taken the regins all by himself, price was only alone after the deadline

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest9838
( )

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  07:08:24  Reply with Quote
Mason is having a great rookie campaign for sure, but that is no reason to hail him as the goalie of the future. Raycroft won the Calder in the 03-04 season, and now he's barely playing tandem in Colorado. I think a goalie has to prove his worth over a few seasons to be looked in the long term. So that being said I wouldn't bet anything on his future. The only guys who are sure things to be around in 7-10 years are:

Lundqvist - age 27
Miller - age 28
Luongo - age 29
DiPietro - age 27 (also because he's under contract until 2050)

and maybe ward - age 25 and fleury - age 24 (and that's only a maybe)

The first four are your possible future greats.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4735
( )

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  20:37:46  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by Bozonator

but price wasn't a constant last year, he had Huet to lead the team into second place while he was in the minors ,, Mason has taken the regins all by himself, price was only alone after the deadline

Pasty

I'm just a little confused how you had that thought from my post. But you are right, Huet did lead them that far and then Price took the reigns, either way, once Huet was traded and Price was playing very well, he was being dubbed the goalie of the future and "the rookie that will take them to the Cup like Patrick Roy" or something along those lines.

For now though, I think what we can expect from Mason is great, but with inconsistencies. What I like about Mason is how he bounces back from game to game though. One night he can play poorly, the next night is a shutout. He gets it out of his head quickly.

Has anyone heard how many sets of pads Mason goes through though? I heard it's a crazy number, don't remember how much, but a lot more than the other goalies.
Go to Top of Page

Bozonator
Top Prospect

57 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  21:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Boys, I should really learn to sign in before I post
Go to Top of Page

Guest7073
( )

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  23:40:22  Reply with Quote
Apparently he gets new pads every 6 games. He says he like the feel of new ones! Must be nice to have a sponsor lol
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  08:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true.
www.thereedreview.com
This site is good at giving analysis on stuff like that!
And has a great forum!

Crosby is not the Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page