Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Flames prove they are the best! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  12:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calgary clubbed the Sharks to death last night. Evidence that they might be the best team in the league. They won 5 to 2 without even getting scoring from Iginla.

They are 8-1-1 in the last 10 and just like they usually do they start coming on strong about half way through the season.

Do you think they can keep it up?

Edited by - blade on 01/07/2009 12:12:52

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  12:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aside from the Wings, I think Calgary is the best team in the west and has the best shot of any Canadian team to go deep in the post season. I hope Calgary gets a chance to get some revenge on the Sharks following last years loss in the playoffs. This, of course, all depends on how well Sundin performs for Vancouver and whether or not Luongo can come back in full form. A Calgary - Vancouver matchup would be great to see as well.

I can't beleive how much stronger the west is compared to the east. A Boston - Calgary final would be pretty badass. I would think Detroit has something to say about that still. Can Conklin and Osgood get the job done though? With that lineup up front, I would have to say yes.

Detroit is still the team to beat if Calgary wants to be the best. The Sharks have to be great in the playoffs for their season to mean much. Just like the Senators of old, regular season success doesn't hold much weight with me.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest6621
( )

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  12:28:45  Reply with Quote
"Evidence they might be"...That statement has me wondering...you mean "might be evidence"?

San Jose beat Calgary 6-1 earlier in the season...so how does Calgary beating them this time make Calgary the better team?

Best team in the league, wow, I am not going to touch that one any further, I do not wish to spend the time.

Peace.
Go to Top of Page

Savitar
Top Prospect

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  17:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "clubbing" they delivered to the Sharks last night is only the first time this season they have beaten any of the other 'Top 4' teams in the West. All this win shows is that the Flames are legitimate competition for the Wings, Sharks and Hawks.

8-1-1 in the last 10 is nice, but the Flames are still 1-3-2 against the best (San Jose, Detroit, Chicago) the West has to offer.

A step in the right direction for a team that has struggled to win against the other elite teams in the League, absolutely.

But Best Team in the League? Over This?

No.

Not Yet.

"I call the big one Bitey"

Edited by - Savitar on 01/07/2009 17:02:45
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  17:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahahah Did anyone see Warrener dressed up as Darth Vater? LOL He had a son and named him Luke. Dressed up so he could say the famous words 'Luke, I am your father'

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  21:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really seems like Calgary's lines are all clicking now. The consistency is there. They are playing very well together. It seems to me from watching them all season that they have better second and third lines than most other teams. Maybe not more talented but they work very well together as lines.
A couple of observations:

Bertuzzi has really impressed me. It's such a shame so many colour him with that thug brush because he is a hell of a hockey player. Great hands and vision and just amazes me how light on his skates he is for such a big man. I have a feeling he has thinned down from what he had been.

Now for Phaneuf. I feel for this guy right now. I don't remember ever seeing a guy so snake bitten as he is this year. He can't buy points right now and it's affecting his whole game. You can see it. The other night he assisted on Bertuzzi's goal and they showed a closeup of the two of them. You could see the relief and happiness on his face. I don't know what it is but the pucks just aren't going in for him. I hope it turns around for him soon. It doesn't help that he's been paired with every defencemen on the team but Regehr this season, the majority of the time with two rookies, Giordano and Pardy.

I don't care too much for Giordano's play either. He seems a little selfish and holds on to the puck far too long. He tries to do more than he is capable of.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  00:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calgary had a big win tonight over the New York Islanders. Yes, that's right, a BIG win. I know the Islanders are a pretty bad team this year but over the last few years the Flames have really had a hard time closing out two points on weaker teams, especially when coming off a win against a tough team (like San Jose) In the past they would let a weaker team roll over them. For years it's felt like that they seemed not to have the true killer instinct. So this win tonight is a massive step in the right direction. They have to learn to take the easy points because it can be slim pickins sometimes in the West with teams like SJS, ANA, VAN and DET (and now Chicago). I'll reserve judgement with regards to being the "best team" but it does feel like the team is starting to find its rhythm and I'm liking it.
Go to Top of Page

wyntyre
Rookie

Canada
185 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  08:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First...Giordano is not a rookie...this is his third year in the league...he spent last year in Russia. He's been a great retunee, especially with his speed. Adam Pardy has been huge...way exceded expectations.
Being THE Flames fan...I can say I am surprised a bit at seemingly great combination of decently solid defence (although Phaneuf needs learn how to play that part of his game more effectively) and timely offence. It's a little weird this year though, because Iginla sometimes looks almost invisible out there. THAT is a GREAT thing though, it just means that everybody is stepping up and playing at his level! The way the team is playing, they look ready for the playoffs already...as long as we don't play Chicago!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  10:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wyntyre

First...Giordano is not a rookie...this is his third year in the league...he spent last year in Russia. He's been a great retunee, especially with his speed. Adam Pardy has been huge...way exceded expectations.
Being THE Flames fan...I can say I am surprised a bit at seemingly great combination of decently solid defence (although Phaneuf needs learn how to play that part of his game more effectively) and timely offence. It's a little weird this year though, because Iginla sometimes looks almost invisible out there. THAT is a GREAT thing though, it just means that everybody is stepping up and playing at his level! The way the team is playing, they look ready for the playoffs already...as long as we don't play Chicago!

Giordano isn't technically a rookie but he's only played about 50 games before this year in the NHL.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page