Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 off the radar deal Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest8571
( )

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  16:14:59  Reply with Quote
CALGARY TRADES:
Dustin Boyd F
Leland Erving G
Matthew Lombardi F
2nd Rnd Pick

TO OTTAWA IN RETURN FOR:
Jason Spezza F
Chris Neil F
5th Rnd Pick

WHAT D YA THINK?
THIS DID NOT ACTUELEY HAPPEN JUST PERSONAL SPECULATION!!

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  16:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seems like calgary gets a better player now but ottawa gets the decent pick, dustin boyd who is still great potential and calgary's best goalie prspect in which ottawa desperetley needs. Neil goes to calgary then basically for lombardi who never really flourished but would fit in better with sens team getting better chance than the third line, neil in return to calgary brings grit but is a UFA.

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!
Go to Top of Page

wyntyre
Rookie

Canada
185 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  19:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no way we could afford Spezza...and really...I wouldn't want him if we lose those three...especially Leland Irving. Although Matt Keetley looks like he might be a good goalie, Leland is the future right now. Dustin Boyd will get better in future years, and shows some flashes of that even playing with Nystrom and Roy.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  08:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not going to happen on a number of fronts:

1) Calgary does not need a #1 centre. Langkow, Lombardi, Boyd, and Conroy are doing a fine job up the middle. And why drop 2 centres in the deal?? Calgary has good centres, but not a ton of them. Spezza would pick up for one of those guys, who would pick up for the other??

2) Ottawa does not want another prospect or unproven goalie. They need a proven goalie. They have a very solid young goalie in Elliot.

3) $$$$$$$ Lombardi is around $2.5 next season and Boyd is an RFA. Calgary also has to think about resigning Cammellarri, Bertuzzi, Moss, Roy, and Aucoin as UFA's. Parfy is also an RFA. Considering that Calgary is already at nearly $43 million for next year, Spezza's contract is $8 milliion/year starting next season. That means Calgary has to sign 6 players with around $5 million??? That would mean bye-bye to all of the players I mentioned above.

Most importantly, who in their right mind would make this trade from an Ottawa perspective??? Boyd,Lombardi, a prospect, and a pick are not equal to Spezza by himself. Then another player and a prospect are getting thrown in as well????

Not a chance in hell. This makes Ottawa worse than they are today and I have not even gotten into the fact that of players Calgary would trade, Lombardi is the only one under contract through this year and it's only for one more. Niel is a UFA so that really doesn't matter, but Spezza is under contract through 2014-2015.

Anyway I look at this is ugly. Calgary would be stupid to not make this deal but can't afford it. Murray would automatically be the worst GM in the league with this deal.

Not a chance
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  15:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any trade for Spezza will have to include a number one goaltender in return. There aren't many teams that have two first-string caliber goalies and would be willing to trade one.

In fact, only one team has two goalies that could jump right on to any team and be a starter that could win in the playoffs starting today the way I see it, and that's Chicago, with Huet and Khabibulin.

But even a straight-up trade for one of those goalies would be, value wise, robbing Ottawa. More players would likely need to be thrown into the mix.

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page