Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Jaromir Jagr back? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest6177
( )

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  16:31:07  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Do you want Jaromir Jagr back in the NHL?

Choices:

Yes
No

Guest5604
( )

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  23:27:15  Reply with Quote
The guys done, give him a break.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8099
( )

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  00:55:00  Reply with Quote
The man is amazing!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  05:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Despite anyone's personal opinion of him, he is a fantastic, talented hockey player. Even at his age and diminished value, any team would love to have him . . . although many wouldn't be able to fit in his contract. I for one would enjoy seeing him come back, for sure.

Any hockey fan should want to see all the best players playing in the top league of the world, no?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  06:28:40  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6177

Do you want Jaromir Jagr back in the NHL?

Oh Yeah... Would love to see him go to the Leafs!
Big, Strong forward, and what really fits with Toronto, is the fact that he OLD, and will attract fans. Nothing to do with winning a cup!!!
Yeah, he'd fit right in over there!!! LOL!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7913
( )

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  08:28:36  Reply with Quote
I would love to see him in Oiler silks. He had requested to be on Hemsky's line in the last Olympics so I'm guessing those two would light it up together.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  14:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Any hockey fan should want to see all the best players playing in the top league of the world, no?

Not necessarily. So many players don't know when to close the curtain on their careers and play for too long. Forsberg, Sundin, even Gilmour (5 different teams in his last 6 seasons.) They end up getting injured, going from team to team, playing small roles, getting low point totals, and it's a mess.

Strictly from the team's perspective, it's a chance to get a player who might help your team, so that's a win. From the player's perspective, they get to continue to play the game they love on the grandest of stages, and that's also great. But at the end of the day, the player's image ends up getting tarnished a little. It just takes such a high career and brings it down by ending it in such a low fashion.

Jagr probably wouldn't be terrible in a comeback, relative to his last NHL season. But if he went to a team that wasn't New York, Pittsburgh, or maybe even Washington, than I think it would just look silly in the long run. Especially if he asked for a huge sum of money.

''Yes we can!'' -Obama
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  18:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read a quick blurb on Yahoo, talking innuendos about just that, Jagr back in the NHL, as an Oiler!
The report goes on to talk of how this is not the first time the rumour has been floated out there and dependent on Jagr's ability to get out of his 2 year KHL contract, he could be in Oiler colors as soon as next year.
I keep thinking of one thing over and over......old Petr Nedved...ugh.

As the biggest Oiler fan on the site,(relax Beans, you oughta see my gick...you'd understand), I am not sure if getting a then 38 year old Jagr is what the team needs, I would love to see Jagr back in the NHL, just not so sure if as an Oiler.

ps. Gick(noun), the amount of flesh between and man's nipples and his di..
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  22:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Elvis, I am willing to share the title, but I can't just hand it over.

And Alex, I gotta play a little devils advocate. Firstly, I can agree that SOME players over stay their welcome, but I have to argue your examples. Forsberg?? Sure he's has very limited action and fairly low overall point total, but relative to the amount he a played, he was as good as he had ever been. In his last 4 seasons in the NHL he played in only 126 games, but he had 144 points.

And Sundin??? He's had 70 or more points a season for the past 12 seasons. His past 5 have been no different. Sure he's had a slow start back in Vancouver, but he has 8 points in 11 games. Not too far off his normal pace.

My point is that just because a player is old, does not mean they sink like a rock. Sure, the might not be in their prime, but ask any GM in the league if they could pick up a point per game player (or very close to it) they would in a heartbeat regardless of the age.

Jagr is still dropping over a PPG in the KHL. He still has the chops to be an NHL player and would be a benefit to any team.
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  00:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the was a article in the Edmonton Journal about Jagr coming to Edmonton.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=266555&lid=sublink09&lpos=headlines_main
The Oilers deny it. But Brent Sutter denied that he was gunna be the next coash of NJ after he stepped down from the coach of the Red Deer Rebels & Burke said he was leaving the Ducks for family reasons. Anything is possible. I wouldn't complain having him on the same line as Hemsky.

"I Was So Happy I Gave Kerry Fraser A Hug" -Bill Guerin

Edited by - lyall on 02/11/2009 00:05:33
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  04:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right off the top of my head, I'd have to say that Edmonton sports writers are trying to beat the winter blues by drumming stories.

Isn't this like the umpteenth rumour about some great player going to Edmonton? Sheesh, if this keeps up, they'll rival Toronto for hogwash rumours about nothing . . .

If he comes back, my guess is it'd be a team with a chance at winning this year or next - not a team in transition.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  08:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a report on a trade rumor hockey site that talked about the Islanders picking up Jagr and then using him in a trade to Edmonton. It was supposidly that Ekland guy, who has been less than accurate. Not an Edmonton media guy.

However, I do know that Hemsky and Jagr are incredibly close. So close in fact that prior to the last Olympics, Jagr openly stated that he would not play for the Czech Republic unless Hemsky was on the team.

I also heard that Hemsky has been pulling on Jagr's ear since last spring to suit up in Edmonton.

All speculation, but I would say that Edmonton would be on the short list of teams IF (and a big IF), Jagr decides to grace the NHL with his brilliance once again.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  06:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that's interesting Beans . . . I didn't know that Hemsky and Jagr were so tight . . . and considering Jagr's temperment and his decision making in the past, I wouldn't put it past him for a friendship to greatly influence his decision.

That being said, it would require the second side of the equation - Edmonton wanting Jagr and PAYING for his services - to happen. That might actually be the trickier part, knowing Edmonton's history for signing up high-priced aging HOFers (see: zero).

I'll still relegate this rumour to highly unlikely, but thanks for the extra info.

And a quick one to Alex - I stand by my assertion that ANY REAL HOCKEY FAN should want the BEST PLAYERS to be playing in the league. I didn't say players who were at one time the best players - I said are. My point is, that even at his age and diminished abilities, Jagr is still a top twenty player, at least top thirty. And who knows, maybe he has another great year in him, with the right pairing, to crack the top ten.

Anyone should want a player of that calibre still playing in the NHL. period.

Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  18:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see Jagr back in the NHL for a couple more seasons. If he plays on a decent team, with a few people he likes... he'd play superb.

Malkin - Crosby - Jagr? :D haha.

Of course the Pens could never afford all three, just would be nice to see.

Irvine

Edited by - irvine on 02/21/2009 18:48:50
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  17:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

I would love to see Jagr back in the NHL for a couple more seasons. If he plays on a decent team, with a few people he likes... he'd play superb.

Irvine

Not so quick, Jagr said he would play for Mario for $400,000 because he owes his whole career to him.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2009 :  18:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Irvine

Not so quick, Jagr said he would play for Mario for $400,000 because he owes his whole career to him.

You've gotta be kidding me........Jagr is a hall of famer with or without Mario.

Mario was a great player, and yes, Jagr hasn't won the cup without Mario, but that argument can work both ways, as Mario hasn't won the cup without Jagr either.
Go Wings Go!

Edited by - hkalirah on 02/22/2009 18:26:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page